Alex Jones has filed a lawsuit against the proposed sale of his website Infowars to satirical news outlet The Onion. Jones is suing a court-appointed bankruptcy trustee and families of some Sandy Hook victims.
The legal action comes after the parent company of Infowars was auctioned off last week.
Families of Sandy Hook victims backed the deal. The purchase would turn Infowars into a parody site focused on far-right conspiracy theories.
Jones owes nearly $1.5 billion to those families after falsely claiming the 2012 school shooting was a hoax.
In the lawsuit, Jones called The Onion’s bid a “flagrantly non-compliant frankenstein bid,” asking to halt the sale.
The Onion’s parent company Global Tetrahedron, was named the winning bidder after offering $1.75 million in cash and a credit from the Connecticut families. The families offered to forgo 100% of their portion of the bid to support the effort.
First United Americans Companies, which is affiliated with Jones and operates his online supplements store, offered a competing bid of $3.5 million.
The Onion said its bid should be closer to $7 million considering the families’ credit. However, Jones’ attorneys argue that figure doesn’t make sense.
Jones asked his supporters to purchase items from his online merchandise store to gain financial support during his legal fight.
“There’s not enough funds coming in to really win hard, you want to win, back those that have victory, back those that have a 30 plus year history,” Jones said in a video posted to X Tuesday, Nov. 19. “I want to thank you all for your support but to the idiots out there – why’s he asking for money? Because I’m the tip of the spear.”
The next hearing on the case is scheduled for Nov. 25.