It’s only been available for less than six months, but Apple is already disabling one of its artificial intelligence features. Apple announced Thursday, Jan. 16, it is temporarily suspending the AI feature that summarizes news headlines after getting multiple complaints that the technology issued a series of inaccurate news alerts.
Apple is also adding a warning for users who receive notification summaries for other apps that will say the feature is still in development, and that the information could contain errors.
On Thursday, Apple deployed a beta software update to developers that disabled the AI feature for news and entertainment headlines. The company plans to later roll that out to all users while it works to improve the AI feature. Apple said once it’s fixed, the company will reenable the feature in a future update.
Last month, the BBC filed a formal complaint, after a news alert was summarized by Apple Intelligence, but branded with the BBC’s logo, incorrectly claiming Luigi Mangione, the man accused of killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, had shot himself.
Apple’s AI also wrongly summarized other BBC app notifications last month to say tennis star Rafael Nadal came out as gay, and named the PDC World Darts Championship winner hours before the competition even began.
Just this week, the AI-powered feature once again incorrectly summarized a headline. The notification from The Washington Post said, “Pete Hegseth fired; Trump tariffs impact inflation; Pam Bondi and Marco Rubio confirmed.” None of those were true.