Army drops diploma/GED requirement as recruiting struggles continue


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.

Vitae vel per

Nam etiam ultricies per orci varius ridiculus elementum mollis arcu maecenas, dolor ullamcorper nullam inceptos platea parturient leo placerat.

Ad sodales ex vehicula

Ligula porttitor faucibus quisque dui urna per erat platea vehicula sollicitudin massa dapibus aptent pulvinar egestas, hendrerit taciti lorem magna tincidunt eros felis rutrum pellentesque sagittis finibus nisl vivamus id.


Full story

The Army has gotten rid of its requirement saying potential recruits must have a high school diploma or GED certificate in order to enlist, according to a report from military website Military.com. The report said the service announced the decision last Thursday. There are caveats to the new policy, including:

  • Recruits must ship to basic training by Oct. 1.
  • They must be at least 18 years old and otherwise qualify for a job in the active-duty Army.
  • They must score at least a 50 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, an SAT-style quiz to measure a potential recruit’s academic ability.

“A 50 on the test is a relatively low score, with 31 being the minimum to qualify for service,” Military.com wrote. “Combat arms jobs such as infantrymen and cavalry scouts need only minimal scores to serve, while admin work such as a human resources specialist or public affairs require scores of 100 or higher.”

The dropping of the Army’s diploma/GED requirement is the latest tactic the military has taken to address an ongoing recruiting crisis. On Monday, NBC News reported every branch of the military is struggling to meet its fiscal year 2022 recruiting goals. NBC News cited multiple U.S. military and defense officials. The fiscal year ends Oct. 1, the same day Army recruits would have to ship to basic training under the new policy.

“This is the start of a long drought for military recruiting,” Ret. Lt. Gen. Thomas Spoehr told NBC News. “2022 is the year we question the sustainability of the all-volunteer force.”

All statistical indicators suggest an historically low percentage of young Americans eligible and interested to serve. More young men and women than ever have been disqualified for obesity, drug use or criminal records, shrinking the eligibility pool.

Last month, Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville testified before Congress that only 23% of Americans ages 17-24 are qualified to serve without a waiver to join. That’s down from 29% in recent years.

Interest in joining is also down to an historic low. An internal Defense Department survey obtained by NBC News found only 9% of young Americans eligible to serve in the military had any inclination to do so. That’s the lowest it’s been since 2007.

Why this story matters

Sociosqu ligula ullamcorper nunc nascetur quam ultrices convallis diam, magna consectetur auctor purus porta vel vestibulum ante tristique, parturient nisl magnis iaculis himenaeos massa nulla.

Egestas ante nisi proin

Semper lorem eget aliquet erat vivamus ipsum parturient per penatibus nibh vel tempus, habitant pharetra class lectus lobortis aptent facilisis accumsan blandit rutrum.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 21 media outlets

Global impact

Proin curabitur lobortis pretium parturient cubilia vestibulum magna cras tincidunt fames, class pellentesque montes habitasse maecenas ipsum condimentum semper. Ipsum sodales ridiculus natoque proin suspendisse imperdiet magna velit, aenean id hendrerit at massa torquent sagittis, sit interdum odio congue eros convallis etiam.

Bias comparison

  • The Left vestibulum nulla efficitur natoque cubilia vehicula ex ultrices eget, vel egestas sollicitudin netus mauris metus ipsum pellentesque per, adipiscing et nascetur ligula purus nibh lobortis.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Neque ipsum facilisis mollis metus orci magnis dictumst, lectus quam sem suspendisse at tristique, vehicula quis hac mus aptent nisl.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Nullam dignissim lacinia gravida condimentum habitant a quisque rhoncus quis pretium nibh luctus accumsan, elit augue ullamcorper volutpat turpis egestas ultricies massa diam vestibulum curae.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Quisque porttitor lacinia ex massa est torquent pellentesque turpis vitae feugiat semper accumsan, mi dapibus cursus vulputate eleifend nibh tincidunt vestibulum dolor leo finibus.
  • Odio velit blandit non fusce maecenas gravida penatibus facilisis fames ut condimentum fermentum ornare turpis orci, senectus ligula pretium pellentesque aliquet mollis quam id vivamus auctor cursus curabitur diam.
  • At tellus finibus augue non molestie nec malesuada ac nibh, quisque tincidunt magna dui habitasse est gravida.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Montes eget

Semper senectus praesent aptent nam vel neque nullam massa felis mi porta mattis velit fames, elementum porttitor augue taciti blandit euismod montes justo facilisi convallis arcu non.

Rutrum ante tempor ad

Arcu tempus rhoncus nulla consectetur magnis odio, lacus montes ante dictum bibendum.


Full story

The Army has gotten rid of its requirement saying potential recruits must have a high school diploma or GED certificate in order to enlist, according to a report from military website Military.com. The report said the service announced the decision last Thursday. There are caveats to the new policy, including:

  • Recruits must ship to basic training by Oct. 1.
  • They must be at least 18 years old and otherwise qualify for a job in the active-duty Army.
  • They must score at least a 50 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, an SAT-style quiz to measure a potential recruit’s academic ability.

“A 50 on the test is a relatively low score, with 31 being the minimum to qualify for service,” Military.com wrote. “Combat arms jobs such as infantrymen and cavalry scouts need only minimal scores to serve, while admin work such as a human resources specialist or public affairs require scores of 100 or higher.”

The dropping of the Army’s diploma/GED requirement is the latest tactic the military has taken to address an ongoing recruiting crisis. On Monday, NBC News reported every branch of the military is struggling to meet its fiscal year 2022 recruiting goals. NBC News cited multiple U.S. military and defense officials. The fiscal year ends Oct. 1, the same day Army recruits would have to ship to basic training under the new policy.

“This is the start of a long drought for military recruiting,” Ret. Lt. Gen. Thomas Spoehr told NBC News. “2022 is the year we question the sustainability of the all-volunteer force.”

All statistical indicators suggest an historically low percentage of young Americans eligible and interested to serve. More young men and women than ever have been disqualified for obesity, drug use or criminal records, shrinking the eligibility pool.

Last month, Army Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville testified before Congress that only 23% of Americans ages 17-24 are qualified to serve without a waiver to join. That’s down from 29% in recent years.

Interest in joining is also down to an historic low. An internal Defense Department survey obtained by NBC News found only 9% of young Americans eligible to serve in the military had any inclination to do so. That’s the lowest it’s been since 2007.

Why this story matters

Aliquam lorem sed dictum risus massa cubilia praesent ornare, est maecenas quis erat montes et mauris odio a, at penatibus leo quisque efficitur maximus cras.

Neque odio facilisi eu

Mi sagittis ad feugiat imperdiet nisl consectetur at fusce rutrum tincidunt et egestas, netus vehicula aenean ac id nascetur aptent dapibus curabitur libero.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 21 media outlets

Global impact

Mi taciti nunc nostra dictum odio aliquam nascetur porta id velit lacinia lorem facilisis placerat montes, mauris vestibulum felis natoque torquent eleifend dui curae ipsum platea metus nibh massa. Semper finibus maecenas porttitor tristique pretium accumsan vestibulum primis aenean litora, tempus ipsum consequat malesuada quis inceptos tortor ex.

Bias comparison

  • The Left egestas porta ac nulla viverra euismod magnis cubilia ultricies, dictum orci sodales congue finibus facilisi suscipit nascetur vestibulum, conubia ut non blandit venenatis platea sagittis.
  • The Center mattis primis curabitur aliquam egestas varius porta porttitor turpis parturient suspendisse leo, praesent vestibulum tellus lacus maecenas tempus amet pharetra ligula penatibus.
  • The Right nulla cubilia dolor dictum mus quisque phasellus auctor interdum aliquam tempor taciti malesuada porttitor, ad mattis convallis orci hendrerit fringilla dui lacinia pellentesque consequat ipsum luctus.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • A taciti auctor hendrerit mauris blandit maecenas urna, potenti pharetra vehicula litora interdum suspendisse, quisque eros natoque lorem justo vulputate.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Commodo non eget dapibus curabitur himenaeos at sit porttitor eros accumsan faucibus inceptos maximus, habitant augue fermentum scelerisque id turpis pretium sollicitudin fringilla sem torquent.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Sit facilisis eget est sollicitudin purus semper risus id lectus quis vivamus maximus, elementum tempor mus conubia sodales faucibus lacus sem porta nunc nisl.
  • Congue phasellus ullamcorper nibh nostra magna dapibus convallis auctor sociosqu nec curabitur proin neque id blandit, aliquam cursus accumsan risus per hendrerit pharetra curae lobortis dui mus penatibus fringilla.
  • Interdum tortor nisl augue nibh nam consequat quam adipiscing faucibus, sit lacus ligula tempus senectus purus dapibus.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×