Tom Hanks warned his fans on Sunday, Oct. 1, of an ad supposedly of the Oscar-winning actor promoting a dental plan. Hanks posted a screenshot of the ad, saying it was not really him, but rather an AI replica, telling everyone to “beware!”
Hanks added to the post, “There’s a video out there promoting some dental plan with an AI version of me.” Hanks made clear that the post has nothing to do with him.
It is unknown where the video originated from and what dental plan it is promoting. But the acting icon has previously addressed AI on the “Adam Buxton Podcast” in May.
On the podcast, Hanks said it is a real possibility that AI versions of actors could be used in movies.
“I could be hit by a bus tomorrow and that’s it, but my performances can go on and on and on,” Hanks said. “And outside of the understanding that it’s been done by AI or deepfake, there’ll be nothing to tell you that it’s not me and me alone.”
The actor known for his roles movies like “Forrest Gump,” “Castaway,” and “Big” made those comments weeks before Hollywood actors went on strike in July, with artificial intelligence being one of its key issues. SAG-AFTRA and the Alliance of Motion Picture Television Producers are expected to meet Monday for the first formal bargaining talks.
Our business correspondent Simone Del Rosario has a series on the rise of artificial intelligence and what the future holds for the technology.