Rescuers pulled two people to safety and another person made it out on their own after the Santa Cruz Wharf in California partially collapsed Monday, Dec. 23, under a major storm surge. About 150 feet of the pier had already been closed to the public because of damage from previous storms.
It was that portion of the pier that collapsed into the Pacific Ocean. It included a restroom building and construction equipment used for repairing the wharf. Authorities said one of those who fell into the water was a manager on the construction project and the other two were contractors.
Santa Cruz Wharf collapse: A 150-foot section at the end of the wharf, which included a restroom building and equipment related to ongoing $4 million renovations, broke off.
— San Francisco Chronicle (@sfchronicle) December 23, 2024
The businesses on the wharf were undamaged but will be inaccessible for the near future.
🎥: Kong Vue pic.twitter.com/8bDL22vITn
Investigators immediately evacuated the wharf. It will remain closed indefinitely.
The National Weather Service said the dangerous storm that led to the collapse will continue to impact beaches along the Pacific Coast throughout Tuesday, Dec. 24.