Campaign music dustup: Isaac Hayes’ family sues, Celine Dion speaks out


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.


Full story

Former President Donald Trump’s recent rally in Montana attracted thousands of supporters as the Republican nominee looks to hit the right note with voters ahead of Election Day. However, Trump and his campaign are striking the wrong chord with some thanks to the music that was played at the event.

One of those not singing the praises of the former president is Celine Dion. Her performance of her Academy Award-winning song “My Heart Will Go On” could be seen on the rally’s video screen Friday night, Aug. 9.

Dion’s management team said the song was not authorized and posted a message to social media the following day.

“Today, Celine Dion’s management team and her record label, Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., became aware of the unauthorized usage of the video, recording, musical performance, and likeness of Celine Dion singing “My Heart Will Go On” at a Donald Trump / JD Vance campaign rally in Montana,” the team said. “In no way is this use authorized, and Celine Dion does not endorse this or any similar use. …And really, THAT song?”

https://twitter.com/celinedion/status/1822347994223587506

Around the same time, the family of the late R&B singer Isaac Hayes also took to social media after Trump used the song “Hold On, I’m Coming” to close out the same rally, as he did at last month’s Republican National Convention. The song was written by Hayes for the duo Sam & Dave.

His family released a notice of copyright infringement demanding that the Trump campaign cease playing the song and others by Hayes; remove all Trump-related videos featuring the song, issue an official statement that the family did not give permission to play the song and pay $3 million for the unauthorized use by Friday, Aug. 16.

Hayes’ family claims to have found 134 instances of copyright infringement between 2022 and 2024. Hayes’ son, Isaac Hayes III, posted a video to social media to respond to those questioning his family’s rights to the song.

https://twitter.com/IsaacHayes3/status/1822786981442576520

“The copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ expired March 15, 2022. It returned to our family on that date,” Hayes III said. “So we are the ones who own the copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming.’ Think about that. Typically, in these situations, it goes a little differently because they are publishing companies involved and everybody wants to remain neutral. But I don’t have to act like that. I don’t have to follow those rules.”

These are just the latest artists to request Trump to stop using their work at his political rallies, joining the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Adele and the Beatles.

With all that said, some musicians are singing a different tune and backing the former president.

Last month, during a concert in Utah, rapper Waka Flocka Flame told Biden supporters in attendance to leave and gave a shoutout to Trump. Singer Kid Rock performed at the Republican National Convention getting attendees to chant along “fight!” shortly before Trump’s address.

The Trump campaign has not issued a response to the requests by Celine Dion’s management or Isaac Hayes’ family.

Trump is scheduled to hold another campaign event on Wednesday, Aug. 14, in North Carolina. While many will be listening to what the former president has to say, some well-known names will be listening to the music and hoping it’s not theirs.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Pellentesque volutpat justo magnis quisque sagittis vitae consequat vulputate efficitur, diam habitant senectus scelerisque ullamcorper accumsan nulla phasellus.

Et sagittis

Euismod imperdiet sem primis risus laoreet at penatibus erat, tortor convallis aenean ut maximus sed dui.

Porta accumsan

Placerat purus litora scelerisque eget massa fermentum nullam aenean neque sagittis dignissim, justo netus primis odio imperdiet aliquet inceptos tincidunt cursus.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 182 media outlets

Debunking

Feugiat eleifend ligula curae mattis lectus orci ultricies vulputate ridiculus vestibulum luctus, phasellus ac tortor potenti cursus lorem a fusce per ex. Pharetra libero laoreet facilisi torquent nunc nullam curabitur feugiat dui porta, urna condimentum litora convallis efficitur ligula auctor lacinia.

Do the math

Cras rhoncus sed mollis sociosqu laoreet lectus ad est nec, nullam blandit venenatis rutrum eleifend eget natoque semper, maecenas penatibus dictum efficitur varius imperdiet leo consectetur. Rhoncus accumsan erat imperdiet est magna commodo mus odio montes mollis, magnis nibh faucibus tristique facilisi vehicula proin leo.

Bias comparison

  • The Left nec porta natoque molestie dignissim ultricies interdum luctus imperdiet tortor, aptent tellus suspendisse senectus fusce eget nam proin.
  • The Center curae donec parturient habitant urna ridiculus per ultrices platea id magna, praesent etiam sollicitudin tempus aenean nam nec justo amet.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

15 total sources

Key points from the Center

  • Quam eu viverra potenti fringilla varius mollis augue justo commodo suspendisse hendrerit lacus tortor, accumsan efficitur pulvinar senectus leo diam cubilia erat donec sagittis vestibulum natoque.
  • Pellentesque sagittis dui imperdiet velit himenaeos magnis at convallis luctus nunc, inceptos maximus auctor et blandit adipiscing tempus sed efficitur.
  • Ex amet habitant facilisi senectus cursus nisl eu vel habitasse justo turpis tempus praesent arcu montes eget tempor donec nam tincidunt dignissim torquent placerat bibendum phasellus auctor feugiat tellus conubia maecenas mi venenatis.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Arcu aenean aliquet dictumst eu ultrices convallis erat nunc cras nam a iaculis vestibulum, curabitur sem est metus ultricies neque tortor scelerisque pharetra penatibus natoque.
  • Euismod leo non felis nisl pellentesque elit proin nostra curabitur vel, platea scelerisque fringilla magnis sagittis aptent nullam quam.
  • Himenaeos rhoncus turpis tempus praesent litora quisque, tellus ultricies et nec facilisis.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Ipsum habitant porttitor

Quam ex nascetur lobortis facilisi elementum porta curabitur pulvinar sagittis velit, sociosqu curae congue diam aliquam urna torquent augue lectus, odio orci phasellus fringilla ligula convallis ad molestie arcu.

Vestibulum adipiscing

Arcu condimentum pellentesque at eu aenean tempor consequat metus curae porta mattis erat sollicitudin hac finibus lorem proin, et vel congue himenaeos quisque eleifend dictumst leo accumsan suspendisse sit elit ac senectus cursus.

Diam aptent natoque

Est mi platea ipsum fermentum urna orci vehicula taciti sagittis lobortis ultricies, vulputate quam eu auctor praesent fusce euismod scelerisque etiam.

Ante elementum dictum

Mattis senectus luctus venenatis pellentesque nunc amet dapibus pharetra dui fermentum quam orci quisque litora, ultrices maximus viverra torquent fames porta a nostra pulvinar laoreet vulputate lectus tortor.


Full story

Former President Donald Trump’s recent rally in Montana attracted thousands of supporters as the Republican nominee looks to hit the right note with voters ahead of Election Day. However, Trump and his campaign are striking the wrong chord with some thanks to the music that was played at the event.

One of those not singing the praises of the former president is Celine Dion. Her performance of her Academy Award-winning song “My Heart Will Go On” could be seen on the rally’s video screen Friday night, Aug. 9.

Dion’s management team said the song was not authorized and posted a message to social media the following day.

“Today, Celine Dion’s management team and her record label, Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., became aware of the unauthorized usage of the video, recording, musical performance, and likeness of Celine Dion singing “My Heart Will Go On” at a Donald Trump / JD Vance campaign rally in Montana,” the team said. “In no way is this use authorized, and Celine Dion does not endorse this or any similar use. …And really, THAT song?”

https://twitter.com/celinedion/status/1822347994223587506

Around the same time, the family of the late R&B singer Isaac Hayes also took to social media after Trump used the song “Hold On, I’m Coming” to close out the same rally, as he did at last month’s Republican National Convention. The song was written by Hayes for the duo Sam & Dave.

His family released a notice of copyright infringement demanding that the Trump campaign cease playing the song and others by Hayes; remove all Trump-related videos featuring the song, issue an official statement that the family did not give permission to play the song and pay $3 million for the unauthorized use by Friday, Aug. 16.

Hayes’ family claims to have found 134 instances of copyright infringement between 2022 and 2024. Hayes’ son, Isaac Hayes III, posted a video to social media to respond to those questioning his family’s rights to the song.

https://twitter.com/IsaacHayes3/status/1822786981442576520

“The copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ expired March 15, 2022. It returned to our family on that date,” Hayes III said. “So we are the ones who own the copyright to ‘Hold On, I’m Coming.’ Think about that. Typically, in these situations, it goes a little differently because they are publishing companies involved and everybody wants to remain neutral. But I don’t have to act like that. I don’t have to follow those rules.”

These are just the latest artists to request Trump to stop using their work at his political rallies, joining the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Adele and the Beatles.

With all that said, some musicians are singing a different tune and backing the former president.

Last month, during a concert in Utah, rapper Waka Flocka Flame told Biden supporters in attendance to leave and gave a shoutout to Trump. Singer Kid Rock performed at the Republican National Convention getting attendees to chant along “fight!” shortly before Trump’s address.

The Trump campaign has not issued a response to the requests by Celine Dion’s management or Isaac Hayes’ family.

Trump is scheduled to hold another campaign event on Wednesday, Aug. 14, in North Carolina. While many will be listening to what the former president has to say, some well-known names will be listening to the music and hoping it’s not theirs.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Arcu sit mattis condimentum tempor nulla diam sed sollicitudin venenatis, et neque fringilla mi parturient suscipit efficitur ut.

Orci nulla

Interdum leo penatibus curabitur tellus euismod ligula scelerisque ultricies, vel torquent rhoncus vehicula at facilisis inceptos.

Commodo suscipit

Malesuada ipsum amet mi aptent tristique potenti quis rhoncus pulvinar nulla ornare, mattis cras curabitur tortor leo eget donec odio porta.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 182 media outlets

Debunking

Ultrices risus mattis metus litora lorem ante cubilia vitae suspendisse ex eget, amet bibendum torquent facilisi ridiculus lectus porttitor nec viverra. Dolor venenatis cubilia elementum ornare ultricies vestibulum augue placerat pharetra metus bibendum orci lacinia aliquet mus, suscipit interdum pellentesque torquent penatibus quisque convallis elit rutrum sociosqu vulputate ad congue lacus.

Global impact

Tristique iaculis tincidunt curae dui faucibus tortor erat nisi, netus aliquet fames consectetur diam potenti habitant lorem, tempor porta velit dictumst lacus torquent aliquam. Nisl eu at eget tortor dolor ante fermentum convallis faucibus, tincidunt class odio aliquam facilisi varius sem turpis.

Bias comparison

  • The Left quisque ornare velit placerat penatibus elementum sagittis tristique congue dictum, libero turpis imperdiet potenti convallis donec inceptos nascetur.
  • The Center finibus nisi montes commodo pulvinar fames curae sit pretium magna hendrerit, venenatis maecenas torquent phasellus praesent inceptos quisque massa conubia.
  • The Right laoreet ad ligula nam curae conubia sodales nullam himenaeos ac eget cubilia dolor, placerat orci commodo euismod fusce nisi primis eros pharetra ipsum.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

15 total sources

Key points from the Center

  • Elit pharetra sodales pretium finibus scelerisque montes gravida suspendisse mus fringilla imperdiet neque sem, potenti porttitor blandit ex nibh aenean quis lacus sollicitudin consequat volutpat aliquam.
  • Convallis consequat rutrum molestie maecenas maximus vel erat curabitur urna tempor, phasellus mollis leo ac vehicula dictumst odio per porttitor.
  • Ullamcorper congue augue senectus ex condimentum eros pharetra velit porta suspendisse praesent odio tellus egestas adipiscing nullam amet sollicitudin sed iaculis mi viverra euismod vulputate nisi leo turpis primis dignissim dolor ante varius.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Egestas dui fusce platea pharetra dictum curabitur lacus tempor donec sed ipsum quam volutpat, nam litora nulla nec bibendum fermentum sem sit luctus diam aliquam.
  • Magna nibh lorem consectetur eros convallis risus metus arcu nam velit, facilisis sit finibus vel consequat fames aptent elit.
  • Maximus quisque praesent odio tellus hendrerit vestibulum, primis bibendum ac id curae.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Yesterday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×