Following the death of a mother and two children in the Rio Grande River, a filing from the Department of Justice confirmed that the migrants had died an hour before federal officials made contact with state officials. Initial headlines blamed Texas officials for “physically barring” and preventing federal officials from saving the migrants drowning near Eagle Pass, Texas.
Multiple left-leaning news outlets — including The Guardian, CNN and more — cited early statements released by the White House and Department of Homeland Security spokespersons.
The Texas Military Department refuted these claims and said the migrants were already dead and their bodies had been recovered on Mexico’s side of the Rio Grande by Mexican authorities.
The confusion stemmed from the entrance gate of Shelby Park, a park in Eagle Pass on the border of the Rio Grande. This area used to be controlled by Border Patrol until the week of Jan. 8, 2024.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, R, said the federal government was not doing enough to stop the flow of people coming from Mexico to Texas at that section of the border. Now, the Texas National Guard is standing post, not allowing migrants into Shelby Park.
On the night of the incident when three migrants died, Border Patrol still wanted to go inside the park area following reports of other migrants in distress. Border Patrol was denied entry and Texas officials apprehended the other migrants.
The Biden administration has asked the Supreme Court to intervene. The battle over who has jurisdiction could come to a head at Shelby Park.