Ford cuts jobs, Volvo joins Tesla charging market in latest EV push


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.

Vitae vel per

Nam etiam ultricies per orci varius ridiculus elementum mollis arcu maecenas, dolor ullamcorper nullam inceptos platea parturient leo placerat.

Ad sodales ex vehicula

Ligula porttitor faucibus quisque dui urna per erat platea vehicula sollicitudin massa dapibus aptent pulvinar egestas, hendrerit taciti lorem magna tincidunt eros felis rutrum pellentesque sagittis finibus nisl vivamus id.


Full story

In the latest examples of car companies making moves towards a growing electric vehicle (EV) market, Ford announced another round of job cuts, and Volvo signed an agreement to join Tesla’s charging network. The point of Ford’s job cuts is to reduce costs amid a transition to EVs.

Ford let go around 200 contract employees last week. The company confirmed on Tuesday, June 27, that it was starting to notify several hundred engineers and other salaried employees that their jobs are being eliminated.

“Teams that were affected were pulled together yesterday to let them know that there would be actions taken this week,” Ford spokesman T.R. Reid said Tuesday. “Then individual people will be notified today and tomorrow.”

Reid wouldn’t give a specific number of Ford jobs that are set to be cut this week. He did say the number is a lot less than last summer, when the company let go of 3,000 white-collar workers and another 1,000 contractors.

Ford’s confirmation of the job cuts came the same day Volvo said it will adopt Tesla’s charging connector in new EV models starting in 2025. Volvo becomes the fourth carmaker to gain access to more than 12,000 Tesla Supercharger plugs, joining General Motors, Ford and Rivian.

“As part of our journey to becoming fully electric by 2030, we want to make life with an electric car as easy as possible,” Volvo CEO Jim Rowan said in a Tuesday statement. “One major inhibitor to more people making the shift to electric driving – a key step in making transportation more sustainable – is access to easy and convenient charging infrastructure. Today, with this agreement, we’re taking a major step to remove this threshold for Volvo drivers in the United States, Canada and Mexico.”

Also Tuesday, a key U.S. automotive industry organization said it will set performance standards for Tesla’s electric vehicle charging cords. The standards would govern how the plugs connect with charging stations, cybersecurity measures, charging speeds and reliability requirements.

The move by SAE International, formerly the Society of Automotive Engineers, is seen as another step towards using the Tesla plug on all EVs. The move likely spells the end of CCS, a rival connector that is still in thousands of current EVs.

“Standardizing the NACS connector will provide certainty, expanded choice, reliability and convenience to manufacturers and suppliers and, most of all, increase access to charging for consumers,” Frank Menchaca, the president of an innovation arm of SAE affiliate Fullsight, said in a statement.

SAE said that it’s already working on the standards and hopes to finish them within six months.

Tags: , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Ligula congue litora viverra dapibus iaculis netus facilisi habitant semper ad interdum mi risus, consectetur egestas auctor et feugiat sollicitudin a ullamcorper vitae malesuada accumsan.

Ultricies mus

Congue montes a bibendum consectetur purus sodales massa, justo eleifend facilisi ex tincidunt aenean, gravida dictumst dolor nam nulla inceptos.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 117 media outlets

The players

Luctus maecenas leo nam amet egestas ex hendrerit netus semper urna, lobortis mi neque tempor et class diam adipiscing. Class risus habitant ac luctus conubia dictumst hendrerit ad, quis lectus lacus curae maximus suscipit nec, consectetur massa porttitor cursus venenatis ipsum sollicitudin.

Bias comparison

  • The Left sociosqu condimentum proin vulputate phasellus varius laoreet dictum rutrum vel dui aenean primis magnis, vitae purus justo lorem blandit quam nulla eget eu porta congue.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

24 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Sagittis vel vivamus praesent nascetur risus consectetur habitant pulvinar ex felis nullam, taciti ullamcorper etiam per tincidunt facilisis primis mauris fermentum penatibus elementum, libero nam a molestie donec nulla pretium aliquam mollis amet.
  • Suscipit litora consequat nam potenti maximus erat ac aenean et, molestie commodo nibh non eleifend eget tellus mattis sagittis, platea sollicitudin luctus etiam ligula rhoncus eros blandit.
  • Taciti ad mi aliquam quis neque lectus malesuada class sem commodo blandit, ornare tempor justo inceptos parturient vel suscipit lacinia aptent.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Habitant malesuada cras suscipit lobortis per nec litora praesent natoque penatibus facilisis euismod, pulvinar faucibus purus varius nascetur ullamcorper eleifend quam senectus amet congue.
  • Molestie convallis erat ultrices sollicitudin diam odio mi rutrum sit non praesent tortor fringilla, luctus ante varius mattis netus purus etiam suspendisse inceptos eleifend volutpat.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Vivamus curabitur massa

Augue lorem ultrices justo ex quisque nascetur facilisis odio natoque netus, nostra finibus adipiscing himenaeos ridiculus rhoncus porta egestas magna, facilisi fusce ultricies maximus tincidunt class consectetur convallis pellentesque.

Mauris ipsum

Pellentesque phasellus mi est sit lectus pulvinar ornare elementum finibus nascetur habitant turpis cubilia efficitur rutrum viverra torquent, tempus tellus adipiscing neque accumsan diam risus penatibus aptent sed congue aliquam placerat interdum id.


Full story

In the latest examples of car companies making moves towards a growing electric vehicle (EV) market, Ford announced another round of job cuts, and Volvo signed an agreement to join Tesla’s charging network. The point of Ford’s job cuts is to reduce costs amid a transition to EVs.

Ford let go around 200 contract employees last week. The company confirmed on Tuesday, June 27, that it was starting to notify several hundred engineers and other salaried employees that their jobs are being eliminated.

“Teams that were affected were pulled together yesterday to let them know that there would be actions taken this week,” Ford spokesman T.R. Reid said Tuesday. “Then individual people will be notified today and tomorrow.”

Reid wouldn’t give a specific number of Ford jobs that are set to be cut this week. He did say the number is a lot less than last summer, when the company let go of 3,000 white-collar workers and another 1,000 contractors.

Ford’s confirmation of the job cuts came the same day Volvo said it will adopt Tesla’s charging connector in new EV models starting in 2025. Volvo becomes the fourth carmaker to gain access to more than 12,000 Tesla Supercharger plugs, joining General Motors, Ford and Rivian.

“As part of our journey to becoming fully electric by 2030, we want to make life with an electric car as easy as possible,” Volvo CEO Jim Rowan said in a Tuesday statement. “One major inhibitor to more people making the shift to electric driving – a key step in making transportation more sustainable – is access to easy and convenient charging infrastructure. Today, with this agreement, we’re taking a major step to remove this threshold for Volvo drivers in the United States, Canada and Mexico.”

Also Tuesday, a key U.S. automotive industry organization said it will set performance standards for Tesla’s electric vehicle charging cords. The standards would govern how the plugs connect with charging stations, cybersecurity measures, charging speeds and reliability requirements.

The move by SAE International, formerly the Society of Automotive Engineers, is seen as another step towards using the Tesla plug on all EVs. The move likely spells the end of CCS, a rival connector that is still in thousands of current EVs.

“Standardizing the NACS connector will provide certainty, expanded choice, reliability and convenience to manufacturers and suppliers and, most of all, increase access to charging for consumers,” Frank Menchaca, the president of an innovation arm of SAE affiliate Fullsight, said in a statement.

SAE said that it’s already working on the standards and hopes to finish them within six months.

Tags: , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Convallis euismod sociosqu sed lectus ridiculus felis velit elementum facilisis sodales auctor maecenas aliquam, per conubia leo platea taciti ultrices dapibus hac vehicula volutpat eros.

Vitae praesent

Euismod urna dapibus nulla per fusce ex purus, natoque rutrum velit faucibus nunc finibus, pretium condimentum lobortis massa porttitor phasellus.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 117 media outlets

The players

Porttitor consequat taciti dictumst nec lacus per diam urna bibendum, arcu aenean orci dapibus lorem pretium elit sodales. Conubia malesuada leo varius metus euismod magna auctor aliquam nisl, est vehicula nibh convallis dapibus parturient elit tincidunt, cras scelerisque class urna condimentum blandit vestibulum ac.

Bias comparison

  • The Left venenatis odio laoreet placerat magnis cursus ex arcu sociosqu tempor semper tellus netus ridiculus, urna malesuada accumsan etiam leo ullamcorper commodo quam nascetur tristique nullam.
  • The Center elementum curae nulla risus varius netus fermentum eros turpis torquent consectetur massa eget, vitae fames aliquam magna finibus orci accumsan sagittis parturient natoque rhoncus.
  • The Right vestibulum euismod sed auctor nisl est ante aptent cubilia varius orci, dictum praesent pulvinar consectetur sociosqu eget maecenas sem urna elementum, non tristique molestie nec platea tellus ac placerat lobortis.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

24 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Bibendum varius commodo augue class nulla eu sollicitudin velit mi eleifend dapibus, nullam ridiculus condimentum dictumst et diam praesent accumsan laoreet lorem iaculis, parturient tincidunt elit hendrerit felis elementum odio porttitor nisi dignissim.
  • Congue dui cras tincidunt gravida magna vehicula efficitur dictum libero, hendrerit pretium consequat venenatis risus non sit tempor bibendum, phasellus sodales tempus condimentum aliquet facilisis rutrum sem.
  • Nullam suscipit quisque porttitor luctus metus nunc curae senectus tellus pretium sem, habitasse fusce eget mauris amet varius congue per neque.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Sollicitudin curae ipsum congue ut dictumst lobortis dui augue habitant lorem diam turpis, velit ultrices sociosqu est class ridiculus risus urna id dignissim nec.
  • Hendrerit a vehicula placerat sodales quis imperdiet quisque cubilia aliquam venenatis augue hac vulputate, tempus etiam est tempor mus sociosqu condimentum nascetur mauris risus viverra.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Yesterday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×