Around 300,000 spectators are expected to attend the Paris Olympics opening ceremony this summer. The ceremony will break from tradition by taking place along the Seine River, not in a stadium. The July 26 ceremony will traverse a 3.5-mile stretch through central Paris with 160 boats carrying athletes on the water as crowds line the riverbanks.
However, such plans come with security risks, particularly with ongoing conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East.
Earlier in April, French President Emmanuel Macron expressed concerns about potential security threats to the Games, including from Russia.
“I have no doubt that the Games will be a target for Russia, including in the field of information,” Macron said during the inauguration of the Olympic Aquatics Centre in Saint-Denis, north of Paris.
Following recent strikes on Israel, Macron sought to quell any concerns over security, asserting on television and radio that alternative plans are ready should security threats arise.
“We can do it and we will do it. If we think there are security risks, we’ll have plan B’s and even plan C’s,” Macron said.
Macron remains confident the event will proceed as planned but noted that relocating to Trocadero Square or the national arena are options. France is deploying 45,000 police, military police and army troops nationwide for the Olympic Games, with 46 countries also contributing personnel.
According to a Ministry of Interior briefing last month, everyone involved in the Games — from security staff and construction workers to volunteers — will undergo background checks. Out of the 1 million planned checks, 100,000 have already been conducted, with 280 cases requiring further investigation.
The Paris Games are expected to host 15,000 athletes and 15 million visitors.