Georgia state Superintendent Richard Woods said on Wednesday, July 24, the state will pay for districts to teach a new Advanced Placement course in African American studies. A day prior, Woods said state money would not be used for the course but didn’t say why.
His statement sparked backlash, with critics saying the decision would suppress teaching Black history. They also compared the decision to similar ones in other states, like Florida and Arkansas.
Georgia’s Board of Education – which is appointed by the governor – must approve a class for it to be eligible for state funding, which helps pay for teachers’ salaries and class materials.
The state superintendent originally said funding for the course would be left up to local governments if they wanted it taught in their district. In response, some districts said they would have to cancel the class for high schools.
Public criticism was swift and within 24 hours, the superintendent announced Georgia would fund the course after all, as long as districts use a certain code linked to an existing African American studies course approved by the state.
Despite the reversal, supporters of the course are still voicing concerns, saying Georgia’s original refusal to recognize the course was discriminatory.
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp also sent a letter to Woods, questioning the original decision not to back funding for the course. Several Georgia state representatives are also calling for the Department of Education to get rid of defunding policies in Georgia.
The same AP course drew national attention in 2023, when Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis banned it there. DeSantis said the course pushed a political agenda.
In Arkansas, students enrolled in the AP course for the upcoming school year will receive credit, a change from the previous year. Last year, students did not receive credit due to uncertainty among state officials about whether the course violated a state law restricting the teaching of race