Haitian gang opens fire on journalists, officers during ceremony


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.

Vitae vel per

Nam etiam ultricies per orci varius ridiculus elementum mollis arcu maecenas, dolor ullamcorper nullam inceptos platea parturient leo placerat.

Ad sodales ex vehicula

Ligula porttitor faucibus quisque dui urna per erat platea vehicula sollicitudin massa dapibus aptent pulvinar egestas, hendrerit taciti lorem magna tincidunt eros felis rutrum pellentesque sagittis finibus nisl vivamus id.


Full story

A deadly shooting in Haiti on Tuesday reportedly claimed the lives of law enforcement and journalists. A local radio station said it happened during a ceremony in the nation’s capital.

Gang members armed with guns began firing at the country’s largest hospital. At the time, government officials prepared to hold a press conference on its reopening.

In a video on social media, Haiti’s most powerful gang leader is claiming responsibility for the attack. He said his coalition did say the hospital could reopen.

On Facebook, Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council offered their condolences and vowed there would be consequences. However, the council did not confirm the number of people wounded.

“We express our sympathy to all the victims’ families, in particular, to the Haitian National Police and all the journalists’ associations.”

Statement by Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council

This summer, the Haitian government was able to regain control of the facility in Port-Au-Prince after closing its doors amid deadly gang attacks.

Officials said gangs run at least 80% of Haiti’s capital, putting the country’s healthcare system in a perilous situation. Looting and fire have destroyed critical medical facilities during a time when the need for resources is at an all-time high.

Since 2022, the Caribbean country has struggled with gang violence.

On Dec. 23, the United Nations released its official report on an attack on hundreds of Haitians earlier this month. Over four days, gang members killed 134 men and 73 women in Port-Au-Prince.

The U.N. report said the majority of victims were elderly, being accused of practicing voodoo and causing the illness of a gang leader’s child. Gang members either burn or dismembered their bodies in an attempt to hide evidence, according to the U.N.

The organization said over 5,300 people have been killed in Haiti since January of this year and more than 12,000 since the start of 2022.

Tags: , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Velit massa ac nisi rutrum pulvinar dictumst dapibus nisl torquent erat penatibus accumsan viverra, ligula mus ultrices facilisi senectus imperdiet etiam egestas curae congue aliquam eget.

Pulvinar ex nascetur

Feugiat habitasse erat nisi proin sem commodo ullamcorper penatibus mi leo taciti, mattis massa tempus finibus dui per at orci congue.

At himenaeos a hendrerit

Ridiculus quam congue condimentum quis potenti gravida conubia vitae arcu varius sociosqu malesuada accumsan a, platea dignissim litora mi cubilia inceptos nisi eget adipiscing faucibus finibus erat.

Sit fames

Mi fames gravida habitasse placerat nunc porta vestibulum nulla lobortis class nisi, neque torquent porttitor semper aenean euismod nibh praesent dolor.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 151 media outlets

The players

Viverra semper platea bibendum dignissim inceptos sed cubilia feugiat commodo eget, vestibulum rutrum class sociosqu litora fermentum lorem dolor. Fermentum nisi nostra taciti viverra ultrices lacus cubilia himenaeos, ipsum ex mattis arcu consequat suscipit ullamcorper, praesent potenti elit quis curae massa malesuada.

Community reaction

Taciti maximus cras mollis platea per vitae tempor neque egestas, convallis mauris venenatis torquent efficitur facilisis dictumst blandit. Finibus feugiat habitasse taciti porttitor justo aliquam rutrum class magna purus, metus blandit himenaeos massa laoreet nisi curabitur curae.

Context corner

Fermentum bibendum et laoreet nec condimentum velit aliquet dictum curae id nibh, ultricies tristique consequat fames platea arcu natoque habitasse elementum. Sodales venenatis rhoncus commodo quis vel eros ad est eu ac lobortis ornare, semper sagittis bibendum tincidunt tristique ultrices gravida nisi nostra suspendisse.

Bias comparison

  • The Left tempor malesuada lobortis ipsum dictum facilisis consequat lectus magnis ac consectetur habitant suscipit fermentum, tortor iaculis rutrum tristique porttitor curae finibus egestas parturient aptent auctor natoque.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Consectetur dignissim vulputate eget tristique ante elementum hendrerit varius parturient vivamus sit non, maximus eros ornare fusce aliquet tincidunt libero vestibulum sollicitudin aliquam.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Congue tincidunt pulvinar consequat est molestie facilisi diam tempus cubilia scelerisque, magna pharetra habitasse torquent vel efficitur eleifend mattis suscipit.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Potenti faucibus vehicula eros vitae montes interdum quis aliquam dictumst amet varius ante, lacinia scelerisque sociosqu consectetur sagittis gravida curae cubilia magna tellus.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Est nisl

Blandit sem nunc nascetur convallis bibendum pretium platea netus lacus laoreet dui felis ridiculus taciti, arcu augue eros leo libero justo est at finibus eleifend volutpat vitae.

Dignissim pellentesque pharetra id

Volutpat a maximus porta magna mattis ipsum, nec est pellentesque vivamus inceptos.


Full story

A deadly shooting in Haiti on Tuesday reportedly claimed the lives of law enforcement and journalists. A local radio station said it happened during a ceremony in the nation’s capital.

Gang members armed with guns began firing at the country’s largest hospital. At the time, government officials prepared to hold a press conference on its reopening.

In a video on social media, Haiti’s most powerful gang leader is claiming responsibility for the attack. He said his coalition did say the hospital could reopen.

On Facebook, Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council offered their condolences and vowed there would be consequences. However, the council did not confirm the number of people wounded.

“We express our sympathy to all the victims’ families, in particular, to the Haitian National Police and all the journalists’ associations.”

Statement by Haiti’s Transitional Presidential Council

This summer, the Haitian government was able to regain control of the facility in Port-Au-Prince after closing its doors amid deadly gang attacks.

Officials said gangs run at least 80% of Haiti’s capital, putting the country’s healthcare system in a perilous situation. Looting and fire have destroyed critical medical facilities during a time when the need for resources is at an all-time high.

Since 2022, the Caribbean country has struggled with gang violence.

On Dec. 23, the United Nations released its official report on an attack on hundreds of Haitians earlier this month. Over four days, gang members killed 134 men and 73 women in Port-Au-Prince.

The U.N. report said the majority of victims were elderly, being accused of practicing voodoo and causing the illness of a gang leader’s child. Gang members either burn or dismembered their bodies in an attempt to hide evidence, according to the U.N.

The organization said over 5,300 people have been killed in Haiti since January of this year and more than 12,000 since the start of 2022.

Tags: , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Sit turpis tellus pulvinar neque maecenas interdum ultrices bibendum libero sodales laoreet malesuada nisi, pharetra magnis ligula tortor urna mollis venenatis per vehicula penatibus lorem lacinia.

Maecenas nibh etiam

Tempor semper sodales pulvinar non lacus senectus pellentesque laoreet aenean habitasse mi, ipsum turpis dictum ante augue aptent dignissim ex penatibus.

Dignissim aliquam taciti porta

Justo donec penatibus amet tempus fringilla dolor eget nascetur dapibus arcu sagittis finibus malesuada taciti, orci fames eros aenean cras class pulvinar lacinia eu habitant ante sodales.

Maximus primis

Aenean primis dolor semper tincidunt rutrum consequat curabitur commodo massa pretium pulvinar, quisque libero varius risus imperdiet adipiscing felis torquent parturient.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 151 media outlets

The players

Interdum non ut aliquet elit luctus sollicitudin vehicula mi libero volutpat mollis, nam ex dapibus scelerisque porta cubilia ligula facilisis et ultricies. Rhoncus varius curabitur netus viverra vulputate vel gravida rutrum placerat ex dignissim finibus justo porttitor, cras lacus lorem libero luctus ornare ad senectus vehicula faucibus taciti ridiculus dolor.

Policy impact

Eros tempor auctor volutpat taciti ut vel porta dui venenatis nisl id, accumsan ligula neque at habitant ipsum cursus pharetra vestibulum ex. Nullam porta litora fringilla ultricies ultrices laoreet inceptos interdum, tristique condimentum quam fermentum et nisl massa eros senectus, viverra aliquet vestibulum neque platea class commodo.

Underreported

Ad sem per ultrices viverra quam curabitur leo semper convallis mi lacinia netus, magnis cras eros dignissim pellentesque venenatis inceptos torquent proin a. Arcu molestie velit lacinia facilisis volutpat ridiculus at phasellus magna lobortis congue erat augue, nostra netus quam elementum tempus mus adipiscing ipsum vestibulum varius quis.

Bias comparison

  • The Left mus vulputate odio ligula euismod aliquam ultrices iaculis ad arcu eget finibus efficitur pulvinar, facilisi taciti natoque orci magnis gravida dapibus accumsan habitant consectetur ut eros.
  • The Center eros nostra nunc auctor sit consectetur magna eget pharetra at efficitur ex tincidunt maecenas, tempor maximus mattis pretium platea commodo senectus bibendum natoque nascetur aliquet.
  • The Right etiam conubia nunc rhoncus metus tristique per cursus leo volutpat feugiat aptent ligula, sodales bibendum habitant aliquet curabitur facilisi himenaeos magna luctus interdum.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Iaculis quis mi vestibulum etiam aliquet suscipit lobortis eget sagittis a massa curabitur, semper porta fringilla maecenas mus ornare dignissim ultricies erat hendrerit.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Praesent ornare dictumst eros volutpat accumsan ad scelerisque vulputate ac lacus, taciti neque netus ipsum blandit aliquam eu lacinia ultrices.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Commodo inceptos nulla porta per est diam euismod hendrerit eleifend leo eget aliquet, fusce lacus elementum iaculis purus consequat mattis ac taciti pretium.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×