The humanitarian crisis in Gaza has intensified with reports of armed gangs raiding Palestinian food supplies. Now, Israel is being blamed for failing to stop these groups.
Multiple U.N. and U.S. officials told Reuters that the Israeli Defense Forces pledged to crack down on the gangs in October 2024. However, it reportedly only took limited action, instead remaining focused on its fight against Hamas.
An IDF spokesperson did not comment on what was agreed on in October or what’s been done to curb looting, but did say Israel has taken significant steps to allow the maximum possible amount of aid to Gaza.
According to U.N. relief agencies, $9.5 million worth of food and other goods was lost in October because of gang attacks and looting.
U.N. officials are still looking at numbers for last month, but one incident on Nov. 16 involved several gunmen attacking more than 100 food aid trucks from U.N. agencies shortly after entering Gaza.
A Palestinian truck driver told The New York Times the gangs forced him to drive off course where he was held at gunpoint for hours as they raided thousands of pounds of aid meant for Gazans.
Earlier this month, the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, said it would no longer deliver aid through the Kerem Shalom crossing due to disorder and violence.
The Hamas-run Health Ministry said more than 45,000 people have died in Gaza since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October 2023.