Israeli soldiers uncovered prison cells located in an underground network of Hamas tunnels in Khan Younis. Soldiers believe Israeli hostages were kept in dire conditions and say they found the entrance of the tunnel at the heart of civilian infrastructure in the home of a Hamas terrorist.
Israeli soldiers advanced on the tunnel shaft, killing several Hamas militants. The soldiers had to disengage explosives on the secured doors before entering the tunnel. According to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), the tunnel is 830 meters long and 20 meters deep.
Inside of the tunnel, the soldiers found prison cells where they say at least 20 hostages were held at one point. The cells, lacking daylight with dense air and humidity, contained toilets and mattresses.
The IDF has vowed to continue fighting until all hostages are brought home.
“Hamas wages psychological warfare to terrorize and torment the hostages, their families, and the world,” IDF spokesman Daniel Hagari said.
Survivors of Hamas have spoken out about conditions they experienced in the tunnels.
Several former hostages testified in front of Israel’s Parliament Tuesday, Jan. 23. In their testimonies, they said Hamas is sexually assaulting and torturing captive Israeli women daily, the Times of Israel reported.
“The terrorists bring inappropriate clothes, clothes for dolls and turn the girls into their dolls,” one survivor said. “Dolls on a string with which you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.”
Another survivor noted that some female hostages were no longer getting their periods, suggesting potential impregnation by Hamas terrorists.
The IDF asserts that these actions constitute evidence of international war crimes by Hamas.
Israel estimates Hamas still has 130 hostages, though it’s unknown how many are still alive.
Meanwhile, Israel is proposing a two-month ceasefire in Gaza to allow for the release of all hostages.
Israeli officials are discussing possible provisions of an agreement with Hamas through Qatari and Egyptian mediators, according to Axios. U.S. officials are also on board with a pause.
“If that would give us the opportunity to get hostages out and get more aid in, we would absolutely support a humanitarian pause of a longer length than the week we were able to accomplish,” Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said. “Absolutely we would.”
Israel’s proposal is the longest ceasefire it has proposed since the start of the war. However, the proposal does not include stipulations to end hostilities. And so far, Israeli and Hamas leaders have rejected a two-state solution.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said a Palestinian state is an “existential danger” to his country.
Hamas leader Khaled Mashal said he rejects the notion of creating a Palestinian state because he refuses to recognize the legitimacy of Israel. Mashal said Oct. 7 revived the dream to free Palestine “from the river to the sea.”
U.S. and E.U. officials are both pushing for a two-state solution.