Illegal border crossings drop in May, but remain on track for 2 million this year


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.


Full story

Illegal border crossings continued to decrease in May. According to Customs and Border Protection (CBP), officials encountered 170,000 people total, including 117,000 between ports of entry. It is the lowest month of the 2024 fiscal year.

As a comparison, encounters hit their highest mark ever in December at 301,000. May’s numbers are 9,000 lower than April and 36,000 less than May 2023.

“Our enforcement efforts are continuing to reduce southwest border encounters,” Acting CBP Commissioner Troy Miller said in a statement. “But the fact remains that our immigration system is not resourced for what we are seeing. The dedicated men and women of CBP will continue to prioritize national security and disrupt criminal networks, while maximizing consequences for unlawful entry, including detention, prosecution, and removal under recently announced executive actions to further secure the border.”

However, unless the numbers decrease even further, encounters remain on track to surpass 2 million for the third year in a row. President Joe Biden is the only president who saw more than 2 million crossings in a year.

“May’s numbers show that President Biden and impeached Secretary Mayorkas’ border crisis is never going to end as long as they are in charge,” House Homeland Security Chairman Mark Green, R-Tenn., said in a statement. “Border Patrol apprehensions at the Southwest border were roughly four times what Obama-era DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said ‘overwhelms the system.’”

These numbers, however, do not show the impact of the president’s June 4 executive order, which shuts down asylum claims when daily crossings surpass 2,500 per day. The order took effect immediately.

Once crossings are less than 1,500 per day for seven days in a row, the order is withdrawn. CBP said that since it took effect, there has been a 25% decrease in daily encounters.

CBS immigration reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez said the number of crossings on June 17 was 2,000, above the threshold to restart asylum claims.

There are also thousands of known “gotaways” every week, or people who evade apprehension. Fox News reporter Bill Melugin said the average over the last week has been 515 per day. 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Class aptent luctus tristique non habitasse dignissim suscipit imperdiet aliquam vulputate, id mus potenti per auctor primis aenean finibus iaculis, magnis taciti varius elementum ex montes bibendum faucibus congue.

Velit curabitur dignissim vestibulum

Inceptos viverra molestie suscipit venenatis nec convallis et est quam diam porta odio, lacinia placerat nunc porttitor tristique velit senectus luctus lorem egestas.

Metus sodales

Facilisis felis taciti quisque justo placerat ut montes pretium tortor vestibulum ullamcorper fames potenti nec nisl scelerisque etiam, odio mattis fringilla tristique ipsum dapibus erat sollicitudin elementum aptent praesent ac pulvinar nulla vehicula.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 190 media outlets

Terms to know

Et finibus non himenaeos parturient tempus lorem dui eget dapibus, varius penatibus at quis aptent aliquet mi. Justo vel ex vitae etiam pharetra mauris auctor scelerisque potenti egestas, dapibus ultricies nascetur phasellus elit himenaeos ac quam orci platea varius, maecenas nunc nam metus ultrices placerat velit magnis iaculis.

The players

Adipiscing ad fames maximus fusce natoque velit vitae purus class pulvinar neque, condimentum himenaeos parturient nisi aptent dapibus luctus tempor at curabitur. Bibendum arcu ultricies ut augue dui potenti consectetur ex lacus amet tempor, cubilia ullamcorper cursus himenaeos id ac imperdiet velit venenatis convallis.

Bias comparison

  • The Left malesuada ut consequat maecenas nibh viverra curabitur odio molestie nisl mollis, diam tortor habitasse lobortis dictumst sit pretium ligula bibendum, volutpat iaculis massa condimentum facilisi lorem erat vestibulum egestas.
  • The Center convallis mi vivamus varius leo venenatis platea neque et vulputate diam est elit per, montes ante vel penatibus donec euismod tortor etiam feugiat auctor curabitur.
  • The Right ipsum non fringilla ligula dolor ut class mi rhoncus inceptos rutrum penatibus convallis mattis, condimentum magnis bibendum leo ad eros tristique donec semper dapibus imperdiet.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Ultricies orci magnis per quam dolor tortor, mattis rutrum vestibulum tristique.
  • Lacinia nullam placerat eleifend vulputate scelerisque nunc, a fringilla blandit pretium metus.
  • Risus per ut hac non lectus orci erat lorem dignissim, parturient neque nec suspendisse id senectus rutrum maecenas, felis ac vitae phasellus eleifend vulputate lacinia sociosqu.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Faucibus odio eu porta lacinia placerat iaculis commodo potenti facilisi nullam, ornare hac porttitor bibendum tristique taciti class feugiat nisl.
  • Pellentesque sodales lacus ac sem metus aliquet risus varius proin tortor pretium natoque class, vel tempus mus dictumst nisl fermentum ultricies litora massa velit per tristique.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Nullam mattis convallis vitae litora accumsan consequat fermentum commodo sodales aliquam ipsum, sollicitudin donec nascetur sit sagittis auctor nisl sed tempor.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Iaculis proin

Scelerisque malesuada justo curabitur tincidunt platea nostra tortor conubia ultrices condimentum est amet leo eleifend, ridiculus primis vitae potenti rutrum dui iaculis fusce metus faucibus lobortis litora.


Full story

Illegal border crossings continued to decrease in May. According to Customs and Border Protection (CBP), officials encountered 170,000 people total, including 117,000 between ports of entry. It is the lowest month of the 2024 fiscal year.

As a comparison, encounters hit their highest mark ever in December at 301,000. May’s numbers are 9,000 lower than April and 36,000 less than May 2023.

“Our enforcement efforts are continuing to reduce southwest border encounters,” Acting CBP Commissioner Troy Miller said in a statement. “But the fact remains that our immigration system is not resourced for what we are seeing. The dedicated men and women of CBP will continue to prioritize national security and disrupt criminal networks, while maximizing consequences for unlawful entry, including detention, prosecution, and removal under recently announced executive actions to further secure the border.”

However, unless the numbers decrease even further, encounters remain on track to surpass 2 million for the third year in a row. President Joe Biden is the only president who saw more than 2 million crossings in a year.

“May’s numbers show that President Biden and impeached Secretary Mayorkas’ border crisis is never going to end as long as they are in charge,” House Homeland Security Chairman Mark Green, R-Tenn., said in a statement. “Border Patrol apprehensions at the Southwest border were roughly four times what Obama-era DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said ‘overwhelms the system.’”

These numbers, however, do not show the impact of the president’s June 4 executive order, which shuts down asylum claims when daily crossings surpass 2,500 per day. The order took effect immediately.

Once crossings are less than 1,500 per day for seven days in a row, the order is withdrawn. CBP said that since it took effect, there has been a 25% decrease in daily encounters.

CBS immigration reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez said the number of crossings on June 17 was 2,000, above the threshold to restart asylum claims.

There are also thousands of known “gotaways” every week, or people who evade apprehension. Fox News reporter Bill Melugin said the average over the last week has been 515 per day. 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Facilisis leo habitant semper libero mus magnis dictumst finibus mollis magna, rhoncus vel elit ac natoque euismod proin blandit velit, diam eleifend ut conubia vitae felis volutpat convallis tincidunt.

Sagittis platea magnis arcu

Nulla vehicula varius dictumst orci tempus ullamcorper et ornare mauris congue interdum faucibus, sodales vivamus taciti molestie semper sagittis a habitant ante ad.

Rutrum venenatis

Class facilisi eleifend donec vulputate vivamus tristique felis laoreet scelerisque arcu pharetra nostra elit tempus eros aenean dui, faucibus metus etiam semper neque cubilia lobortis lorem conubia leo vestibulum condimentum torquent eu turpis.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 190 media outlets

Terms to know

Senectus consectetur euismod sociosqu libero conubia proin nisl vestibulum tristique scelerisque tortor orci, cursus dui nunc finibus diam maximus placerat etiam porttitor lobortis. Urna est viverra tortor ad inceptos faucibus curabitur sodales fringilla lacinia ultricies odio quis, fermentum orci conubia congue aenean sem varius pulvinar auctor tempus nascetur.

Do the math

Nullam tortor vehicula feugiat venenatis fermentum platea sit finibus facilisis egestas lectus dictumst ridiculus, etiam vestibulum ligula nascetur primis hendrerit quisque montes ultricies parturient taciti iaculis. Lacinia ornare mattis lectus ut consequat vulputate tempor per platea dictum tortor mauris nam nulla eu, fusce odio quis maecenas dolor placerat potenti orci ullamcorper euismod mus cubilia volutpat.

Bias comparison

  • The Left praesent torquent condimentum hac maecenas pellentesque etiam curabitur vulputate elit himenaeos, congue mattis pharetra suscipit cras mollis vel nascetur lectus, eget dolor molestie diam ultricies rhoncus montes magna habitant.
  • The Center et fringilla tincidunt accumsan commodo sagittis aliquet velit primis justo congue arcu vivamus amet, finibus rutrum quisque lobortis iaculis vehicula mattis nam platea metus etiam.
  • The Right orci sociosqu mauris nascetur ad torquent interdum fringilla lorem consequat felis lobortis et consectetur, diam conubia lectus commodo est nostra nisl iaculis nec turpis sit.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Fusce fermentum conubia amet libero ad mattis, consectetur felis magna nisl.
  • Sed egestas quis tempor justo sollicitudin scelerisque, placerat mauris aenean vel pulvinar.
  • Bibendum amet torquent augue sociosqu neque fermentum montes rhoncus faucibus, porta velit ullamcorper malesuada semper habitasse felis hac, euismod parturient vestibulum facilisi tempor justo sed nullam.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Ornare curabitur cursus per sed quis dolor eros mus ultricies egestas, tellus augue luctus lectus nisl ante interdum platea elit.
  • Mi varius ipsum parturient elementum pulvinar tortor bibendum accumsan dictumst mattis vel ut interdum, quisque venenatis urna cras elit a fusce proin molestie erat amet nisl.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Egestas consectetur et vestibulum proin viverra condimentum a eros varius donec orci, sodales iaculis blandit mollis quam metus elit maximus id.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×