Mexico has stated that it’s not ruling out the possibility of taking in migrants deported by the United States, regardless of nationality. The decision is a reversal from what Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum initially said last month, saying Mexico would push U.S. President-elect Donald Trump to return deportees of other nationalities directly to their countries.
In a press conference Friday, Jan. 3, Sheinbaum said that Mexico is open to collaborating with the U.S.
“There will be time to speak with the United States government if these deportations really happen, but we will receive them here, we are going to receive them properly and we have a plan,” Sheinbaum said.
Sheinbaum did not elaborate on the plan, but it could include limiting certain nationalities or requesting compensation from the U.S.
Trump has promised mass deportations, however critics said there will be logistical and economic challenges.
A recent report from the American immigration council estimates that it would cost $88 billion to deport one million migrants a year. That would total more than $967 billion over a 10-year period.
Mexico is not obligated to accept non-Mexican migrants from other countries, but in the past it has agreed to do so. Cuba and Venezuela, for example, often refuse deportation flights from the U.S., but may accept them from Mexico.
Sheinbaum plans to meet with her cabinet next week to discuss immigration issues ahead of Trump taking office.