Israel unleashed the deadliest attack on Lebanon’s capital in years on Friday, Sept. 20, killing the Commander of Hezbollah’s Elite Radwan Force Ibrahim Akil and at least 10 other Hezbollah operatives, while wounding dozens of people. Israeli forces launched the airstrike in a heavily populated area of Beirut, saying it targeted Akil, who the United States says was involved in two terrorist attacks in 1983 that killed more than 300 people at the U.S. Embassy in Beirut and U.S. Marine barracks.
Akil is also accused of taking American and German hostages in Lebanon in the 1980s.
Israel said the airstrike is in response to an attack by Hezbollah earlier Friday that saw around 140 rockets pound northern Israel. Hezbollah said those rockets were in retaliation for the pager and walkie-talkie attacks that injured thousands and killed more than a dozen people. The explosions targeted Hezbollah members in a mass bombing. Israel has neither confirmed nor denied it is behind the sophisticated operations.
Israel forces’ targeted killing of Akil is the most bloodshed in a Beirut neighborhood since a monthslong war between Hezbollah and Israel in 2006.
Hezbollah and Israel have exchanged fire since Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel. Akil allegedly had plans to pull off a similar act of terrorism in northern Israel.
The U.S. State Department posted $7 million reward last year for information leading to Akil’s identification, location arrest or conviction.