Catherine, Princess of Wales, also known as Kate Middleton, said in a video statement released on Friday, March 22, that she has been diagnosed with cancer. The diagnosis comes after what she described as “an incredibly tough couple of months,” according to the BBC.
In January, Kate had abdominal surgery in London, which was originally thought to be non-cancer related. However, further tests showed the presence of cancer.
Kate is undergoing chemotherapy and said she is improving and growing stronger every day. There are no further details on the type of cancer she was diagnosed with, but the royal family said that they are confident in her recovery.
The cancer was discovered after her abdominal surgery earlier this year. Kate and Prince William said that they are taking time for their family, as they work to explain Kate’s diagnosis to their young children.
Kate is not expected to return to her royal duties anytime soon. She asked for privacy during her cancer battle, and expressed gratitude for the support she has received.
The royal family has recently faced questions due to her absence from the public eye. Meanwhile, Kate has urged solidarity with those impacted by cancer and encouraged them to keep hope.