Many questions remain after it was announced last week the U.S. had reached a plea agreement with the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 terror attacks and his co-conspirators that would have them avoid the death penalty, and then that deal was quickly rescinded. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin released a memo Friday, Aug. 2, saying the decision should’ve been his to make.
Now, many Americans want to know how the original plea deal could have even been an option and what the president has to say about it.
White House spokesperson John Kirby was questioned about it during an appearance on “Fox News Sunday.”
“This was a decision made by the Secretary of Defense. It was an independent decision by him, certainly within his authorities, as in the chain of command at the Defense Department,” Kirby said.
A White House National Security Council had previously said President Biden did not play a role in taking the death penalty off the table for the three 9/11 suspects. He also rejected a proposal last year that would also have spared them the death penalty.