President-elect Trump has created the Department of Government Efficiency led by Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswamy. And new details on a deadly massive explosion at a Kentucky food dye plant. These stories and more highlight your Unbiased Updates for Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2024.
Musk, Ramaswamy to lead Trump’s Department of Government Efficiency
President-elect Donald Trump is ready to usher in a new era in Washington, as he’s set to meet with President Joe Biden at the White House Tuesday, Nov. 13, as part of the peaceful transition of power. Trump has created a new agency focused on regulating government spending, to be headed by Tesla and SpaceX CEO and staunch Trump supporter Elon Musk.
Trump announced Musk’s position Tuesday, Nov. 12, along with the formation of the Department of Government Efficiency, “DOGE” for short — a nod to the cryptocurrency Dogecoin.
Trump said Musk will be joined by entrepreneur and former Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy in leading the department. The president-elect said the two businessmen will help his administration “dismantle government bureaucracy, slash excess regulations, cut wasteful expenditures, and restructure federal agencies.”
Trump added the department will provide guidance from outside the government and “send shockwaves through the system.” The statement said Musk and Ramaswamy’s work will conclude no later than July 4, 2026, the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
Musk, who also owns X, said on the social media site Tuesday night that all actions of the department will be posted online for “maximum transparency.”
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 13, 2024
Both Musk and Ramaswamy endorsed Trump during the 2024 campaign, with Ramaswamy doing so after dropping out of the race in January.
Along with meeting President Biden at the White House Wednesday, President-elect Trump is expected to also meet with Republicans at the Capitol as the GOP prepares to take control of both chambers of Congress, though some House races have still yet to be called.
Trump picks Pete Hegseth for secretary of defense
Also on Tuesday, Nov. 13, President-elect Trump filled more key positions in his administration, including naming Pete Hegseth his secretary of defense.
The 44-year-old Army veteran is currently the host of Fox News channel’s “Fox and Friends Weekend.” Hegseth joined the network in 2014.
Hegseth is a Princeton and Harvard Business School graduate. He served in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Guantanamo Bay and is still a member of the Minnesota Army Reserve.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 13, 2024
In a statement, Trump said Hegseth is “tough, smart and a true believer in America first.” He added, “With Pete at the helm, America’s enemies are on notice — our military will be great again, and America will never back down.”
Hegseth wrote a book that came out earlier this year titled “The War on Warriors: Behind the Betrayal of the Men Who Keep Us Free.”
Trump also filled other roles Tuesday, including selecting lawyer William McGinley as White House counsel, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee as U.S. ambassador to Israel, real estate investor Steve Witkoff as special envoy to the Middle East, and former Congressman John Ratcliffe as CIA director. Ratcliffe served as director of national intelligence in the first Trump administration.
Republican senators to choose new majority leader
While control of the House of Representatives remains undecided, the Senate is firmly in the hands of Republicans after last week’s election and now they’re getting ready for another vote.
Senators return to Capitol Hill Wednesday, where Republican lawmakers will choose a new majority leader. Three contenders are vying to replace Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell, who’s led the GOP in the chamber since 2007.
Current Republican whip, Sen. John Thune of South Dakota is running against former whip Sen. John Cornyn of Texas and Florida’s Rick Scott, who was just reelected for a second term. Senate Republicans met behind closed doors Tuesday night to hear arguments for each candidate ahead of the vote.
It’s worth noting, Elon Musk is openly supporting Sen. Rick Scott for the leadership role.
House Oversight Committee holding second UFO hearing
The House Oversight Committee is meeting Wednesday to once again talk UFOs. The hearing, which calls the objects by their new preferred name, is titled “Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena: Exposing the Truth.”
The meeting has sparked renewed calls for transparency about what the government knows about UAPs.
Arrogant bureaucrats in D.C. spend your money and withhold information on UAP while our nation's best pilots give a different story. How does the government expect to gain our trust when they don't trust us with the truth? pic.twitter.com/un2RzRfwrE
— Rep. Tim Burchett (@RepTimBurchett) November 12, 2024
Among the witnesses for Wednesday’s hearing will be Navy Rear Adm. Timothy Gallaudet, who has spoken in the past about his experiences with UAPs.
The hearing, which is only the second of its kind, will be broadcast live and starts at 11:30 a.m. ET.
You can find more about the hearing in Straight Arrow News’ full report here.
2 dead in Louisville plant explosion, nearby homes damaged
New information is emerging about the explosion at a food dye plant in Louisville, Kentucky Tuesday afternoon. CBS and NBC News have reported two people have died, and at least nine others were badly hurt.
Authorities said two people had to be rescued from inside the plant Tuesday, but all employees have been accounted for.
The explosion, which happened in the city’s Clifton neighborhood, damaged nearby homes and residents were evacuated. One homeowner said it was a huge explosion and his entire house shook.
Today was a tough day for our city but we will get through this. I’m praying for everyone who was impacted and I’m incredibly thankful for the first responders who rushed in to save them. pic.twitter.com/cRbmqblph0
— Mayor Craig Greenberg (@LouisvilleMayor) November 13, 2024
The mayor of Louisville said employees who were inside the building “reported normal activity when the explosion occurred.” The cause is under investigation.
This is not the first explosion to happen at that factory. One worker died after a tank exploded in 2003, when the plant had a different owner.
Kraft Heinz pulls school-approved Lunchables off the menu
Lunchables are no longer on the menu for U.S. schools. Kraft Heinz announced Tuesday it is no longer offering the two versions of the meals it created specifically for schools.
The school-specific meals made their debut last school year. Kraft Heinz said they were protein-enriched and had reduced levels of saturated fat and sodium to meet the requirements of the national free and reduced-price school lunch program.
However, the meals got pushback from nutrition experts, who were concerned the school versions of Lunchables would confuse parents into thinking store-bought versions were healthier than they are. Then in April, Consumer Reports said it found the school-approved Lunachables actually contained more sodium than their store-bought counterparts.
In a statement, Kraft Heinz said its decision to pull school Lunchables was due to lack of demand.