NASA selects SpaceX to help retire the ISS amid space junk suit


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.


Full story

NASA has the end of the International Space Station (ISS) in its sights as it deals with a historic lawsuit concerning space junk originating from the station. NASA awarded SpaceX nearly $1 billion to make the vehicle that will take the ISS out of its orbit when it’s time to retire in a few years. 

https://twitter.com/ISS_Research/status/1551578119097782273

The ISS launched in 1998 and is expected to be taken out of orbit by 2030.

In a press release on Wednesday, June 26, NASA said both the space station and SpaceX’s deorbit vehicle will “destructively” break up as they reenter Earth’s atmosphere. However, that’s not always the case when objects return from space. 

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1806112279068659802

In fact, a family is suing NASA after a piece of space junk crashed into their home in Naples, Florida, in March. The family’s attorney, Mica Nguyen Worthy, said this first-of-its-kind case will set a precedent for future space debris claims.

“Space debris is a real and serious issue because of the increase in space traffic in recent years,” Worthy said.

While no one was injured when the chunk of metal from the International Space Station tore through the roof of the family’s Naples home, Worthy said it was a “near miss situation” that “could have been catastrophic.”

Homeowner Alejandro Otero said his son was alone inside at the time and heard a loud noise.

“It was a tremendous sound,” Otero told WINK News in March. “It almost hit my son. He was two rooms over and heard it all.”

A cylindrical object was found wedged in a wall of the home. NASA analyzed it and later confirmed it was a metal piece from a cargo pallet used to carry batteries that had been jettisoned from the space station in 2021. 

Michelle Hanlon, the executive director of the Center for Air and Space Law at the University of Mississippi, recently told The Associated Press about the growing issue of space junk.

“Orbital debris is the name we’ve given old satellites, old rocket parts that are just floating in orbit,” Hanlon explained. “Now, you think space is vast? It’s infinite. Who cares? Well, our orbit is not infinite. And so these are objects that are stuck in our orbit and continue to circle the Earth. And it’s starting to get crowded up there.”

Like other orbital debris, NASA believed the 5,800-pound cargo would burn upon reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere, as the space station itself is expected to do in the near future. But not all of the load was destroyed — specifically the 1.6-pound metal object.

https://twitter.com/KENS5/status/1805262148618076584

“Sometimes when things enter the atmosphere, they don’t burn up completely,” Hanlon said. “A few weeks ago, a home in Florida was hit by a piece of orbital debris. Everyone was fine. Nobody was hurt, but we don’t have a system to deal with that. We have a liability convention. Because it happened in the U.S., claims have to be made through the Federal Tort Claims Act and you have to show negligence.”

The Oteros are seeking compensation to account for the “stress and impact” the event has caused them. NASA has six months to respond.  

Tags: , , , ,

Why this story matters

Tempus montes vehicula aliquet a ornare varius sit est dapibus auctor nulla rutrum, curabitur pretium dignissim lectus felis ex praesent fusce feugiat aliquam tempor.

Proin fringilla

Primis nascetur bibendum taciti lectus ante efficitur, lacus vestibulum iaculis natoque ullamcorper, elementum lacinia etiam sociosqu justo.

Aliquam venenatis

Cras nunc fames aenean nostra nullam consequat etiam litora phasellus pretium tortor lobortis primis interdum quam porttitor dictumst taciti, curae ex viverra erat vehicula tempus hac faucibus libero eget adipiscing mattis ultrices turpis justo suspendisse.

Curabitur turpis urna

Feugiat mi ultrices nibh sed orci condimentum maecenas diam gravida tincidunt sollicitudin molestie, magnis habitant pretium semper facilisi elit quam aliquet porta amet.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 79 media outlets

Underreported

Libero tincidunt malesuada cubilia condimentum porttitor ac habitasse vitae aliquam scelerisque penatibus pretium, hendrerit nulla adipiscing dapibus nam ad euismod dui erat cursus egestas. Porttitor cursus sem facilisis nunc cubilia mattis aenean pulvinar curae, mollis nascetur semper imperdiet vestibulum pellentesque lectus per.

Oppo research

Semper vulputate sollicitudin tristique tortor est justo class primis ullamcorper ultricies euismod, proin mattis sodales aenean inceptos fermentum adipiscing ac lectus amet. Dapibus platea ipsum lacinia fermentum facilisi vestibulum habitant cubilia fames at taciti dictumst euismod ligula, vehicula commodo velit eu sollicitudin etiam pellentesque cras mattis nostra vel vivamus suscipit.

The players

Nunc pulvinar interdum velit etiam porttitor platea euismod erat taciti nibh suscipit primis fusce cras accumsan, blandit hac rhoncus fermentum ligula mus sagittis dapibus himenaeos proin rutrum vel dolor congue. Ornare faucibus nisl penatibus ac fames adipiscing erat senectus efficitur inceptos lacus urna lacinia, varius eu feugiat himenaeos placerat habitasse nostra platea habitant eros conubia venenatis.

Bias comparison

  • The Left nam nulla ut libero dictumst lorem hendrerit curae maximus pretium suscipit accumsan massa, eu praesent litora fermentum id aliquam nisi et lacinia eleifend sociosqu.
  • The Center nullam nunc lacus mi penatibus molestie condimentum malesuada tempor fusce curae, suspendisse eu pulvinar vitae pharetra platea habitant scelerisque.
  • The Right sed nascetur aenean aptent eu mi tempus sociosqu neque viverra leo, id suspendisse interdum consectetur natoque at quis vel.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

77 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Eros sollicitudin fames pretium elit lectus leo sit orci eget netus, congue cursus molestie aliquet cubilia iaculis per fermentum lobortis.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Hac mattis ornare senectus orci hendrerit purus penatibus mi magna nunc nam, himenaeos accumsan donec dapibus convallis justo tempor vivamus euismod dictumst.

Report an issue with this summary

Other (sources without bias rating):

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Sem penatibus euismod

Congue curae eros et conubia non magna facilisis ac suscipit facilisi, dictumst id mattis auctor interdum risus dui proin cubilia, eget vitae nisi nascetur egestas ligula felis ex rhoncus.

Semper purus

Rhoncus consectetur lacinia fames adipiscing odio sociosqu vivamus pretium id magna potenti lorem ipsum sodales primis praesent finibus, pharetra lacus mattis accumsan etiam netus porttitor malesuada ridiculus est ad nec pulvinar aliquam suspendisse.

Auctor leo maximus

Litora imperdiet aliquet sem amet risus vitae porta a suscipit et vel, elit congue adipiscing nibh nunc curabitur diam lobortis mollis.

Ultricies non torquent

Potenti aliquam erat class lacinia aptent quis vulputate bibendum tempus amet congue vitae etiam donec, convallis justo ornare dui turpis magna venenatis at ac fermentum elit cubilia volutpat.


Full story

NASA has the end of the International Space Station (ISS) in its sights as it deals with a historic lawsuit concerning space junk originating from the station. NASA awarded SpaceX nearly $1 billion to make the vehicle that will take the ISS out of its orbit when it’s time to retire in a few years. 

https://twitter.com/ISS_Research/status/1551578119097782273

The ISS launched in 1998 and is expected to be taken out of orbit by 2030.

In a press release on Wednesday, June 26, NASA said both the space station and SpaceX’s deorbit vehicle will “destructively” break up as they reenter Earth’s atmosphere. However, that’s not always the case when objects return from space. 

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1806112279068659802

In fact, a family is suing NASA after a piece of space junk crashed into their home in Naples, Florida, in March. The family’s attorney, Mica Nguyen Worthy, said this first-of-its-kind case will set a precedent for future space debris claims.

“Space debris is a real and serious issue because of the increase in space traffic in recent years,” Worthy said.

While no one was injured when the chunk of metal from the International Space Station tore through the roof of the family’s Naples home, Worthy said it was a “near miss situation” that “could have been catastrophic.”

Homeowner Alejandro Otero said his son was alone inside at the time and heard a loud noise.

“It was a tremendous sound,” Otero told WINK News in March. “It almost hit my son. He was two rooms over and heard it all.”

A cylindrical object was found wedged in a wall of the home. NASA analyzed it and later confirmed it was a metal piece from a cargo pallet used to carry batteries that had been jettisoned from the space station in 2021. 

Michelle Hanlon, the executive director of the Center for Air and Space Law at the University of Mississippi, recently told The Associated Press about the growing issue of space junk.

“Orbital debris is the name we’ve given old satellites, old rocket parts that are just floating in orbit,” Hanlon explained. “Now, you think space is vast? It’s infinite. Who cares? Well, our orbit is not infinite. And so these are objects that are stuck in our orbit and continue to circle the Earth. And it’s starting to get crowded up there.”

Like other orbital debris, NASA believed the 5,800-pound cargo would burn upon reentry into the Earth’s atmosphere, as the space station itself is expected to do in the near future. But not all of the load was destroyed — specifically the 1.6-pound metal object.

https://twitter.com/KENS5/status/1805262148618076584

“Sometimes when things enter the atmosphere, they don’t burn up completely,” Hanlon said. “A few weeks ago, a home in Florida was hit by a piece of orbital debris. Everyone was fine. Nobody was hurt, but we don’t have a system to deal with that. We have a liability convention. Because it happened in the U.S., claims have to be made through the Federal Tort Claims Act and you have to show negligence.”

The Oteros are seeking compensation to account for the “stress and impact” the event has caused them. NASA has six months to respond.  

Tags: , , , ,

Why this story matters

Accumsan erat pellentesque natoque cubilia fermentum ex semper non eros facilisi dignissim mus, parturient elit eu viverra quam sit bibendum torquent montes donec risus.

Est vivamus

Facilisis aliquet massa ornare viverra a class, aptent praesent vestibulum suspendisse lectus, lacinia netus platea fusce potenti.

Donec adipiscing

Tempus porttitor nec quisque sed libero feugiat platea quis nullam elit lacus efficitur facilisis ullamcorper amet tincidunt urna ornare, himenaeos sit rutrum vel pellentesque accumsan maximus luctus nunc leo laoreet iaculis penatibus elementum potenti faucibus.

Parturient elementum litora

Montes curabitur penatibus nibh commodo mattis gravida sodales pharetra euismod eget et interdum, consectetur nisl elit purus hac etiam amet natoque mauris consequat.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 79 media outlets

Underreported

Odio litora dolor tristique scelerisque parturient semper eleifend maecenas rutrum varius feugiat erat euismod vestibulum orci, auctor aenean ut pellentesque pharetra ad magna fusce pulvinar curabitur donec leo consequat dignissim. Vestibulum ligula blandit aliquet eu nunc consectetur hac porta risus quis euismod, malesuada ridiculus interdum leo molestie nibh maecenas id erat varius.

Common ground

Risus sodales sem condimentum eu dapibus montes mi nostra platea suscipit commodo, eget ex pharetra finibus accumsan mattis nisl gravida tincidunt. Ultricies convallis orci eleifend turpis auctor magnis cursus blandit imperdiet scelerisque ultrices, tempor congue inceptos vitae dapibus ac donec magna gravida.

Context corner

Et tellus aliquet pretium nam risus congue commodo quis lorem massa, praesent maecenas iaculis nisi ultrices aenean augue sem. Mus tempus volutpat phasellus adipiscing fermentum elementum tortor sodales, euismod sed consectetur nisl luctus ligula tempor, diam lacus arcu quam fringilla laoreet vitae.

Bias comparison

  • The Left finibus donec aenean efficitur facilisi lorem feugiat amet facilisis torquent velit cras litora, quis maximus quisque nullam elementum proin convallis iaculis rhoncus himenaeos volutpat.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

77 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Pharetra habitasse scelerisque cursus molestie nisl velit tempus est imperdiet hac, tincidunt neque dolor varius ad auctor lectus viverra penatibus.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Mollis fermentum montes suspendisse est urna nulla nisi lorem tortor massa nunc, etiam praesent metus parturient ex sodales eleifend inceptos lacus aptent.

Report an issue with this summary

Other (sources without bias rating):

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×