The No Labels group announced on Thursday, April 4, that it would not nominate a presidential candidate for the November election, acknowledging the challenge of finding a centrist candidate amidst widespread dissatisfaction with President Joe Biden and Donald Trump. No Labels saw a tragic setback when former Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman, the group’s founding chairman, died last month.
“Today, No Labels is ending our effort to put forth a Unity ticket in the 2024 presidential election,” Nancy Jacobson, CEO of No Labels, said in a statement.
Jacobson said the decision was made due to the lack of candidates with a credible path to the White House. This move leaves the electoral field to Biden, Trump, and independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Kennedy has secured enough signatures to appear on the ballot in five states, including key battlegrounds.
The decision has been met with relief from Democrats concerned that a No Labels candidate could split the vote in Biden’s favor, potentially aiding Trump. Critics, including MoveOn’s executive director Rahna Epting, urge Kennedy to recognize the slim chances of a third-party candidacy succeeding against the threat posed by Trump.
“Now, it’s time for Robert Kennedy Junior to see the writing on the wall that no third-party has a path forward to winning the presidency,” Epting said in a statement.