North Korea is reportedly losing a significant number of soldiers while supporting Moscow’s war with Ukraine. Ukraine and South Korea both reported the deaths of North Korean soldiers despite North Korea denying sending troops or weapons to assist Russia.
The total number of reported deaths varies. South Korea’s military officials said at least 1,100 North Korean troops were killed or wounded. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy posted on X Monday, Dec. 23, saying that Ukrainian forces killed or wounded more than 3,000 North Korean soldiers.
Zelenskyy also warned that Pyongyang could send more personnel and equipment for Moscow’s army.
I held a meeting of the Staff.
— Volodymyr Zelenskyy / Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) December 23, 2024
We thoroughly analyzed our work with Syria after the fall of Assad and his escape.
Today, the intelligence services presented their reports—the Foreign Intelligence Service and the Defense Intelligence of Ukraine—as well as the Ministers of…
Ukraine, South Korea and the United States all say North Korean soldiers started arriving in Moscow in October 2024, more than two and a half years after Russia’s alleged special military operation began.
The Pentagon estimates 10,000 North Korean soldiers were sent to the Kursk region.
Meanwhile, the Biden administration is trying to send more military aid to Ukraine before President-elect Donald Trump takes office in January 2025.
Zelenskyy said earlier in December 2024 that around 43,000 Ukrainian and 198,000 Russian soldiers had been killed since the start of the war.