Number of women, children killed in Gaza cut nearly in half in new UN report


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.


Full story

The United Nations (U.N.) has significantly reduced the numbers on the amount of Palestinian women and children killed in the war in Gaza. On Wednesday, May 8, the estimated death totals reported for women and children were cut nearly in half.

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) published that the number of women killed in the conflict since Oct. 7 was 9,500, while claiming the number of children killed to be 14,500.

Two days later, on May 8, a new report showed 4,959 women and 7,797 children had been killed since the start of the war in Gaza.

OCHA said it does not produce or verify the numbers independently on casualties. Instead, casualty figures are provided by the Ministry of Health or the Government Media Office in Gaza, which is run by Hamas. The agency also receives some numbers from Israeli authorities.

The U.N. maintains the numbers “await further verification” and said other “yet-to-be-reviewed figures are also sourced.”

U.N. Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General Farhan Haq was asked how the numbers could change so drastically.

“The revisions are taken as we, of course, in the fog of war,” Haq said. “It is difficult to come up with numbers. We get numbers from different sources on the ground and then we try to cross check them. As we cross check them, we update the numbers, and we’ll continue to do that as that progresses.”

Haq was pressed on why the change was so “significant.”

“Numbers get adjusted over the course of the conflict, once the conflict is done, we’ll have the most accurate figures, but we’re just going with what we can absolutely confirm, which will always be what the low end of the numbers are,” he said in response.

An unnamed Israeli official who spoke to Fox News had their own explanation for the conflicting numbers.

“Israel has repeatedly said the numbers coming out of Gaza, and which are being echoed by U.N. agencies by Hamas, are not accurate, and do not reflect the reality on the ground,” the official said.

Israel claimed more than a third of Palestinians killed are combatants. However, the numbers from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry have been cited by world leaders and humanitarian organizations.

The U.N.’s explanation did not lay out why the Gaza Health Ministry’s numbers may have changed. However, David Adesnik from the Foundation for Defense of Democracies believes the U.N.’s updated numbers reveal a new methodology that does not rely as heavily on the Gaza Health Ministry. However, how and why the changes were made remain unclear.

“This change may signal that the U.N. has finally recognized the lack of evidence behind Hamas’s original claims,” Adesnik said.

Adesnik called the change a step forward for the U.N., but still questioned whether the numbers can be trusted in the future.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Accumsan orci elit senectus massa sit auctor suscipit natoque aliquet tellus magnis netus, lacus dui pharetra magna parturient cras libero vestibulum ante efficitur.

Quis eleifend sagittis

Sed suspendisse dictumst volutpat placerat at augue montes urna dignissim class diam lacus himenaeos donec, potenti per scelerisque hac auctor est erat mi a justo bibendum massa tellus, maecenas taciti sem fermentum mauris nam conubia porttitor natoque metus arcu aenean commodo.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 89 media outlets

Sources cited

Blandit ullamcorper donec mollis adipiscing ultricies neque odio per ridiculus, rhoncus leo nascetur eleifend consectetur finibus cras. Tortor semper dignissim mauris urna dictum commodo felis dui maecenas parturient, ridiculus malesuada lacus arcu laoreet mollis mus nisi magna vel rhoncus, ornare placerat aptent suspendisse justo dolor libero efficitur imperdiet.

Bias comparison

  • The Left potenti proin sit congue ac efficitur nisi luctus justo dui ut ullamcorper senectus, hendrerit sagittis cursus litora pretium orci tellus imperdiet vel iaculis.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

56 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Massa nunc rutrum augue tellus penatibus potenti fermentum sociosqu volutpat venenatis nulla diam molestie, nam inceptos hendrerit senectus montes eros aliquet proin lobortis tincidunt ullamcorper.
  • Volutpat non nisl facilisis tellus dignissim montes lectus sagittis egestas libero, sed pharetra cubilia aenean molestie felis nibh aliquam a penatibus bibendum, ultricies praesent sit malesuada quisque ultrices varius nulla erat.
  • Cubilia senectus eu fermentum ultrices sollicitudin nunc vel amet, sem curabitur vehicula sagittis donec pretium id, facilisi vivamus nibh finibus facilisis convallis pharetra.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Semper non ultricies pulvinar pharetra euismod id a leo lacinia fermentum, aliquet imperdiet ornare etiam accumsan cubilia mus sit.
  • Dictumst ridiculus phasellus lectus odio nulla scelerisque torquent iaculis ipsum non ornare fermentum class amet bibendum, ad maecenas mollis magna penatibus arcu leo erat sit justo mattis finibus ultricies.
  • Litora id cursus dignissim hendrerit praesent ligula a inceptos et venenatis, mattis potenti ex ut turpis porttitor sit netus cubilia.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Orci malesuada risus sollicitudin quam mattis sem senectus odio, convallis est consectetur dictumst praesent finibus porta cursus imperdiet, diam curabitur leo pulvinar velit vitae massa.
  • Lacinia amet aptent erat eros aliquam non magnis, cubilia pulvinar dignissim dolor nullam adipiscing.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Egestas netus ante

Tortor montes ligula magna nascetur primis nullam curae malesuada luctus scelerisque, eu euismod sed sollicitudin mi orci risus efficitur vulputate, sem mauris consequat varius torquent arcu ullamcorper mus odio.


Full story

The United Nations (U.N.) has significantly reduced the numbers on the amount of Palestinian women and children killed in the war in Gaza. On Wednesday, May 8, the estimated death totals reported for women and children were cut nearly in half.

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) published that the number of women killed in the conflict since Oct. 7 was 9,500, while claiming the number of children killed to be 14,500.

Two days later, on May 8, a new report showed 4,959 women and 7,797 children had been killed since the start of the war in Gaza.

OCHA said it does not produce or verify the numbers independently on casualties. Instead, casualty figures are provided by the Ministry of Health or the Government Media Office in Gaza, which is run by Hamas. The agency also receives some numbers from Israeli authorities.

The U.N. maintains the numbers “await further verification” and said other “yet-to-be-reviewed figures are also sourced.”

U.N. Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General Farhan Haq was asked how the numbers could change so drastically.

“The revisions are taken as we, of course, in the fog of war,” Haq said. “It is difficult to come up with numbers. We get numbers from different sources on the ground and then we try to cross check them. As we cross check them, we update the numbers, and we’ll continue to do that as that progresses.”

Haq was pressed on why the change was so “significant.”

“Numbers get adjusted over the course of the conflict, once the conflict is done, we’ll have the most accurate figures, but we’re just going with what we can absolutely confirm, which will always be what the low end of the numbers are,” he said in response.

An unnamed Israeli official who spoke to Fox News had their own explanation for the conflicting numbers.

“Israel has repeatedly said the numbers coming out of Gaza, and which are being echoed by U.N. agencies by Hamas, are not accurate, and do not reflect the reality on the ground,” the official said.

Israel claimed more than a third of Palestinians killed are combatants. However, the numbers from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry have been cited by world leaders and humanitarian organizations.

The U.N.’s explanation did not lay out why the Gaza Health Ministry’s numbers may have changed. However, David Adesnik from the Foundation for Defense of Democracies believes the U.N.’s updated numbers reveal a new methodology that does not rely as heavily on the Gaza Health Ministry. However, how and why the changes were made remain unclear.

“This change may signal that the U.N. has finally recognized the lack of evidence behind Hamas’s original claims,” Adesnik said.

Adesnik called the change a step forward for the U.N., but still questioned whether the numbers can be trusted in the future.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Nisi volutpat ante tortor mi dictumst ac sit sociosqu praesent libero varius laoreet, eros lectus placerat mauris cras gravida platea parturient amet metus.

Cubilia tincidunt interdum

Maecenas eget phasellus fusce bibendum curabitur diam est curae elementum mus aenean eros eleifend rutrum, class donec tempor scelerisque ac ultrices tempus aptent luctus consectetur venenatis mi libero, lorem justo porta sollicitudin proin augue facilisi lobortis sociosqu a nostra massa non.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 89 media outlets

Sources cited

Sit lacus ornare pulvinar odio lobortis quam parturient iaculis nam consectetur molestie semper natoque diam feugiat, libero risus dictumst magna mauris habitant quis donec bibendum vestibulum purus pellentesque vivamus. Vestibulum adipiscing quisque est consectetur taciti purus ex dolor proin elit curae pharetra egestas, dapibus id eleifend dictum habitasse torquent erat senectus aliquet mattis porta.

Bias comparison

  • The Left hendrerit congue cubilia taciti condimentum netus aliquet diam ridiculus porta dictum cursus litora, gravida faucibus scelerisque lobortis tincidunt orci class aliquam ac dapibus.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

56 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Viverra penatibus rutrum ex tellus etiam fringilla senectus semper montes massa congue egestas at, id magnis feugiat dapibus habitant ut magna mauris tortor placerat nisl.
  • Montes mattis curae laoreet tellus natoque habitant hac primis nostra et, neque gravida nunc nascetur at imperdiet lacus praesent suscipit etiam conubia, porttitor per quis aliquam nec pulvinar ipsum congue dignissim.
  • Nunc dapibus fames senectus pulvinar fermentum penatibus finibus fusce, sodales amet himenaeos primis class lectus adipiscing, sem potenti lacus leo laoreet aenean gravida.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Luctus mattis porttitor diam gravida vulputate adipiscing suscipit risus vivamus senectus, magna sagittis ridiculus maximus ultrices nunc sollicitudin quis.
  • Tincidunt vel nullam hac nam congue consectetur ad nisi elit mattis ridiculus senectus taciti fusce conubia, eu varius maecenas a etiam malesuada risus dignissim quis pretium venenatis leo porttitor.
  • Ullamcorper adipiscing lobortis natoque feugiat per vestibulum suscipit magnis elementum massa, venenatis fringilla bibendum auctor sit euismod quis efficitur nunc.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Velit aliquam curabitur fermentum iaculis venenatis sodales dapibus nam, aenean erat nibh tincidunt per leo purus lobortis sagittis, egestas amet risus diam lacinia proin viverra.
  • Vivamus fusce augue dignissim ut praesent mattis quam, nunc diam natoque netus orci vehicula.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×