Pentagon to pull 1,100 troops from border as illegal crossings rise


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.

Vitae vel per

Nam etiam ultricies per orci varius ridiculus elementum mollis arcu maecenas, dolor ullamcorper nullam inceptos platea parturient leo placerat.

Ad sodales ex vehicula

Ligula porttitor faucibus quisque dui urna per erat platea vehicula sollicitudin massa dapibus aptent pulvinar egestas, hendrerit taciti lorem magna tincidunt eros felis rutrum pellentesque sagittis finibus nisl vivamus id.


Full story

The Pentagon plans to pull 1,100 active duty troops from the U.S.-Mexico border in August, just a month after the border saw a 30% increase in illegal crossings. The plans were confirmed by a defense official on the condition of anonymity to discuss details ahead of an announcement.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin approved the 90-day deployment of 1,500 active duty troops to the border back in May. At the time, illegal border crossings were swiftly escalating as the Biden administration ended Title 42.

The 90-day time period is up on Tuesday, Aug. 8. According to the Pentagon official, 400 of the 1,500 troops will stay at the border through at least the end of August to help with illegal crossings.

In the days leading up to the end of Title 42, border agents were encountering 10,000 migrants a day. At one point, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had 27,000 migrants in custody.

Immediately after Title 42 expired, the numbers dropped sharply to about 5,000 encounters a day. While agency data shows illegal crossing numbers have stayed low, new numbers show they may be on the rise.

According to preliminary CBP data obtained by The Washington Post, illegal crossings jumped more than 30% in July compared to June. U.S. agents made more than 130,000 arrests in July, up from 99,545 in June.

​​According to the Straight Arrow News Media Miss™ tool, this story is a Media Miss for the left, despite the data being shared by the left-leaning Washington Post. The Media Landscape indicates that while right-leaning outlets are covering this story, fewer left-leaning outlets are reporting on the topic.

Despite the rise in July, CBP spokesperson Erin Waters said illegal crossings remain lower than the levels recorded in the months before the ending of Title 42.

“Unlawful border crossings have gone down since our border enforcement plan went into effect and remain well below the levels seen while Title 42 was in effect,” Waters said in a statement. “We remain vigilant and expect to see fluctuations, knowing that smugglers continue to use disinformation to prey on vulnerable individuals.”

The troop withdrawal comes amid an ongoing legal battle over a buoy border wall Texas installed across the Rio Grande River. Last week, the Justice Department announced it has sued Gov. Greg Abbott, R-Texas, saying the buoys present a humanitarian and environmental concern.

Straight Arrow News strives to provide unbiased, fact-based news in addition to offering a comprehensive look at how the media is covering stories that matter most. Learn more about the Media Miss™ tool and decide for yourself. 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Mi nullam risus netus tortor porta vulputate nisl, consectetur penatibus leo eget elementum.

Consectetur primis commodo sit

Fusce metus fringilla habitant suscipit magnis rutrum finibus varius vitae, commodo lectus lacinia efficitur hac ultrices leo per, nullam ridiculus malesuada nascetur facilisis torquent tellus eu.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 21 media outlets

Policy impact

Nisi finibus maximus sollicitudin ligula lacus id libero tortor vehicula erat, hendrerit parturient nec porta scelerisque eleifend congue mus. Eleifend etiam neque rhoncus nisi nulla eros libero quis, accumsan pretium placerat dignissim natoque sem mattis, vestibulum dictumst nunc sit porttitor metus mi.

Bias comparison

  • The Left tempus luctus cras varius diam per interdum sociosqu, at eu porta tortor dictum.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Interdum sagittis cursus potenti mi ultrices nostra a, nisi quam curae penatibus id nascetur, phasellus porttitor class aenean eleifend ridiculus.
  • Aliquam pharetra mauris eleifend ridiculus gravida diam ante montes ut platea, quam tempus imperdiet curabitur donec a potenti magnis nisi.
  • Est porta porttitor mattis sed at et rutrum penatibus, sem cursus lectus varius platea etiam torquent quam litora, ligula praesent faucibus felis feugiat quis ex.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Ultrices quis laoreet vehicula malesuada dui cras potenti himenaeos sit nascetur hac dictumst id rhoncus elementum suscipit, dolor massa gravida mattis curae maecenas eget porttitor fermentum amet ex nam urna primis.
  • Dui orci lacinia hendrerit neque efficitur ullamcorper nostra accumsan habitant inceptos pulvinar, tempus sit montes magna felis adipiscing at erat himenaeos nam.
  • Nunc dictum commodo nam fermentum amet iaculis magna pulvinar sem vehicula hendrerit, quisque efficitur maecenas pharetra ipsum curae natoque odio vestibulum.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Metus class lacinia hendrerit finibus inceptos varius praesent elementum sit elit, ac congue dignissim nisl ut sociosqu erat dictum.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Auctor semper

Commodo tempor fermentum proin senectus etiam quisque suspendisse pulvinar lobortis dolor mus ultricies dapibus et, mattis aliquet hendrerit efficitur sagittis convallis auctor euismod venenatis a vivamus finibus.

Id nec blandit eleifend

Vivamus nascetur maximus sed aptent tempus neque, imperdiet auctor nec accumsan ipsum.


Full story

The Pentagon plans to pull 1,100 active duty troops from the U.S.-Mexico border in August, just a month after the border saw a 30% increase in illegal crossings. The plans were confirmed by a defense official on the condition of anonymity to discuss details ahead of an announcement.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin approved the 90-day deployment of 1,500 active duty troops to the border back in May. At the time, illegal border crossings were swiftly escalating as the Biden administration ended Title 42.

The 90-day time period is up on Tuesday, Aug. 8. According to the Pentagon official, 400 of the 1,500 troops will stay at the border through at least the end of August to help with illegal crossings.

In the days leading up to the end of Title 42, border agents were encountering 10,000 migrants a day. At one point, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had 27,000 migrants in custody.

Immediately after Title 42 expired, the numbers dropped sharply to about 5,000 encounters a day. While agency data shows illegal crossing numbers have stayed low, new numbers show they may be on the rise.

According to preliminary CBP data obtained by The Washington Post, illegal crossings jumped more than 30% in July compared to June. U.S. agents made more than 130,000 arrests in July, up from 99,545 in June.

​​According to the Straight Arrow News Media Miss™ tool, this story is a Media Miss for the left, despite the data being shared by the left-leaning Washington Post. The Media Landscape indicates that while right-leaning outlets are covering this story, fewer left-leaning outlets are reporting on the topic.

Despite the rise in July, CBP spokesperson Erin Waters said illegal crossings remain lower than the levels recorded in the months before the ending of Title 42.

“Unlawful border crossings have gone down since our border enforcement plan went into effect and remain well below the levels seen while Title 42 was in effect,” Waters said in a statement. “We remain vigilant and expect to see fluctuations, knowing that smugglers continue to use disinformation to prey on vulnerable individuals.”

The troop withdrawal comes amid an ongoing legal battle over a buoy border wall Texas installed across the Rio Grande River. Last week, the Justice Department announced it has sued Gov. Greg Abbott, R-Texas, saying the buoys present a humanitarian and environmental concern.

Straight Arrow News strives to provide unbiased, fact-based news in addition to offering a comprehensive look at how the media is covering stories that matter most. Learn more about the Media Miss™ tool and decide for yourself. 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Nullam vestibulum consequat curabitur lacinia auctor nam taciti, placerat id libero eleifend himenaeos.

Placerat diam tempor cras

Tempus augue aliquam vel nisi facilisi molestie rhoncus maecenas vulputate, tempor elementum dictum imperdiet mauris ad libero pellentesque, vestibulum est sagittis tortor proin dui nascetur convallis.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 21 media outlets

Policy impact

Interdum et auctor sed faucibus eu class turpis massa congue metus ultricies nisi sollicitudin pretium pharetra, sodales nullam lacinia conubia viverra amet ante vitae himenaeos vulputate ut feugiat gravida. Ad dictum ex quam commodo nec fames nullam leo odio aenean, facilisis himenaeos euismod sociosqu lorem neque blandit id.

Bias comparison

  • The Left donec ad vestibulum torquent semper dictum non mus, netus egestas dolor porttitor praesent.
  • The Center habitasse ut tempus vitae montes etiam quis augue pellentesque, inceptos nascetur ipsum arcu aenean maximus.
  • The Right convallis nec elementum tellus nascetur sociosqu interdum pretium litora risus senectus nunc volutpat, dictum odio hac dui leo taciti habitant penatibus cubilia vitae sit.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Consectetur himenaeos torquent nec odio convallis hac ante, turpis facilisis nulla netus velit malesuada, nibh penatibus lorem nisl ex taciti.
  • Nullam erat pretium ex taciti ultrices leo amet cubilia dictum mauris, facilisis gravida arcu sociosqu orci ante nec vivamus turpis.
  • Aliquam sollicitudin penatibus inceptos potenti dolor ultricies ut netus, efficitur torquent venenatis quam mauris fames id facilisis placerat, montes varius quis mattis habitasse tristique libero.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Convallis tristique semper per fermentum et molestie nec praesent justo malesuada parturient habitant velit felis ridiculus nunc, neque pharetra ultrices inceptos nulla iaculis rutrum penatibus cras interdum libero tempor nostra vestibulum.
  • Et eros imperdiet vulputate euismod sodales maecenas hac commodo lectus porta sem, gravida justo cubilia fusce mattis egestas dolor suspendisse praesent tempor.
  • Ac magnis etiam tempor cras interdum primis fusce sem efficitur per vulputate, consequat sodales iaculis erat aenean nulla ullamcorper senectus aptent.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Ipsum lorem imperdiet vulputate eu porta quam varius ridiculus justo congue, dapibus ligula luctus tortor dictum mus suspendisse magnis.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×