Just minutes after the suspect in Monday’s mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Illinois made a virtual appearance in court, local authorities revealed he allegedly considered committing a second shooting while on the run. According to authorities, Robert Crimo III fled to the Madison, Wisconsin area after the parade shooting.
“Investigators did develop some information that it appears when he drove to Madison, he was driving around,” Lake County Major Crime Task Force spokesperson Chris Covelli said Wednesday. “He did see a celebration that was occurring in Madison and he seriously contemplated using the firearm he had in his vehicle to commit another shooting in Madison.”
Covelli said Crimo had “approximately 60 rounds” of ammunition at that point. While Covelli said he couldn’t speak to why Crimo decided to hold off, Covelli noted “there are indications that he didn’t put enough planning forward to commit another attack.”
A judge denied Crimo bond at Wednesday’s hearing, one day after the suspect was charged with seven counts of murder in connection with the Highland Park mass shooting. On Wednesday, Lake County States’ Attorney Eric Rinehart promised “many, many more charges coming in the coming weeks.”
“For each individual [who] was hurt, people can anticipate an attempted murder charge as well as an aggravated battery with a firearm charge,” Rinehart said. “All of those are Class X felonies which have obviously, serious prison time associated with them.”
On Tuesday, Thomas A. Durkin, a prominent Chicago-based lawyer, said he would represent Crimo and that he intended to enter a not guilty plea to all charges. However, Rinehart claimed Wednesday that Crimo “admitted to what he had done” during police questioning.
Wednesday’s developments came as questions arose regarding how the Highland Park suspect was able to sidestep Illinois’ so-called “Red Flag” law in order to legally purchase the gun he allegedly used in the shooting. Illinois state police, who issue gun owners’ licenses, said Crimo applied for a license in December 2019. Earlier that year, authorities were called to Crimo’s home on two separate times for threats of violence and suicide.
In a statement, state police said at the time, “There was insufficient basis to establish a clear and present danger” and deny the application.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.