Wagner Group Chief Yevgeny Prigozhin arrived in Belarus after his Russian mutiny charges were dropped, and the United States is set to announcement more military aid for Ukraine. These stories and more highlight the rundown for Tuesday, June 27, 2023.
Mutiny charges against Prigozhin dropped
Russian authorities announced Tuesday they have closed a criminal investigation into Prigozhin. The investigation led to no charges against him nor any of the Wagner group mercenaries who staged a mutiny in Russia over the weekend.
A jet linked to Prigozhin arrived in Belarus Tuesday, where he was expected to go following the deal he struck with the Kremlin to have his charges dropped and end the group’s march on Moscow. Despite letting Prigozhin off the hook, Russian President Vladimir Putin blasted organizers of the rebellion as traitors who are playing into the hands of Ukraine and its allies.
U.S. to send $500m in weapons, military aid to Ukraine
Ukraine will receive another $500 million aid package from the U.S. The news is expected to be announced by the Biden administration Tuesday.
As Ukraine continues its counteroffensive, it will be receiving an array of assistance from the U.S. The package will include the shipment of more than 50 heavily armored military vehicles and missiles to replenish its air defense systems.
This will be the 41st time the U.S. has provided military weapons through presidential drawdown authority since the start of the war between Russia and Ukraine. The drawdown allows The Pentagon to quickly take items from its own stocks and deliver them to Ukraine.
“We continue to supply the Ukrainians with the equipment they need to conduct the counteroffensive and to defend themselves long term,” State Department Spokesman Matthew Miller said Monday, June 26. “We continue to have intelligence sharing channels with the Ukrainians. We continue to have military channels. We continue to have diplomatic channels that are open with Ukraine.”
The $500 million aid package will come in addition to $6.2 billion pledged to go to Ukraine following a Pentagon accounting error.
Judge to decide on moving Trump criminal case
A U.S. judge is set to hear arguments in former President Donald Trump’s attempt to move his criminal case in New York out of the state and into a federal court. Former president Trump’s lawyers sought to move the case to federal court soon after Trump pleaded not guilty in April to charges that he falsified business records in a hush-money scheme.
If the trial is moved, Trump could potentially try to get the case dismissed. Moving the case to federal court would also cast a wider net of potential jurors rather than only selecting from Manhattan.
If the case stays in state court, the trial will begin March 25, 2023, during the presidential primary season. The judge will hear arguments, but is not expected to immediately rule Tuesday.
Prosecutors seek death penalty against Idaho murder suspect
With Bryan Kohberger expected back in court Tuesday, prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty against him. Kohberger is suspected of murdering four University of Idaho students in 2022.
Prosecutors said Kohberger exhibited “utter disregard for human life” in committing such a heinous crime. Kohberger pleaded not guilty to the murders earlier in 2023.
Kohberger’s expected appearance Tuesday is for a preliminary hearing. The trial is set to begin Oct. 2.
First locally-acquired malaria cases in 20 years
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a warning over the return of locally-acquired cases of malaria. It’s the first time in 20 years cases have been acquired in the U.S. with no links to travel outside the country.
There are five total cases, four in Florida and one in Texas. The cases have no links to one another.
Malaria is transmitted when a person is bitten by an infected mosquito. A health advisory has been issued in both Texas and Florida.
New York traffic congestion pricing plan approved
A plan to reduce traffic and car pollution in New York City has cleared its final legal hurdle, paving the way for the nation’s first ever “congestion pricing plan.” It’s a fee for drivers who are entering Manhattan on one of the busiest roads in the nation.
The new toll for drivers who want to enter Manhattan could begin as early as 2024. New York received a key green light from Washington for its proposed plan. All that’s left is for officials to decide a price point.
One version of the plan had prices as high as $23 for a rush-hour trip into midtown and $17 during non-peak hours. The money raised through the traffic toll would go toward New York’s public transit system.