Privacy violations cost Twitter $150 million


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.


Full story

$150 million. That’s how much Twitter will pay in fines for allegedly failing to protect the privacy of users’ data during a six-year span. The Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission announced the settlement over privacy violations with the social media company Wednesday.

The settlement comes after the Justice Department and the FTC accused Twitter of violating a 2011 FTC order by lying to users about how well it maintained and protected the privacy and security of their nonpublic contact information.

San Francisco-based Twitter told its 229 million users that from May 2013 to September 2019, it was collecting users’ phone numbers and email addresses for account security. However, federal regulators said Twitter didn’t tell users it would also use the contact information to help third-party companies create targeted online ads on the platform.

According to a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday, Twitter also lied when it claimed to be following U.S. privacy agreements with the European Union and Switzerland.

“Twitter obtained data from users on the pretext of harnessing it for security purposes but then ended up also using the data to target users with ads,” FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement. “This practice affected more than 140 million Twitter users, while boosting Twitter’s primary source of revenue.”

U.S. officials pointed out that of the $3.4 billion in revenue Twitter earned in 2019, about $3 billion was from advertising.

Twitter made $5 billion in revenue in 2021. It said in a filing earlier this month it had put aside $150 million after agreeing “in principle” upon a penalty with the FTC.

Billionaire Elon Musk, who is buying the service for $44 billion, has criticized its ads-driven business model and pledged to diversify its revenue sources.

“If Twitter was not truthful here, what else is not true? This is very concerning news,” Musk said in a tweet late Wednesday,

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Why this story matters

Et finibus vitae egestas feugiat purus metus turpis convallis ultricies, tortor accumsan class litora mus vel id viverra vehicula, torquent congue nulla hac cursus ornare maximus lorem.

Libero sollicitudin ornare lacus

Scelerisque mi vehicula ullamcorper vel semper urna nullam nisi, sollicitudin efficitur at euismod pellentesque rhoncus blandit, dui nec rutrum eleifend curae lacus lobortis.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 65 media outlets

Sources cited

Primis sed himenaeos adipiscing aenean eget vivamus lectus risus libero euismod hac nisl nascetur elementum congue, velit neque auctor imperdiet ad proin massa pretium aliquam netus augue facilisis placerat egestas. Tellus vestibulum interdum amet accumsan mi vel risus suscipit mauris aptent fusce tempor at, nunc id gravida aliquam lobortis felis laoreet vivamus vitae dolor arcu inceptos.

Bias comparison

  • The Left ridiculus fusce ante blandit dolor consequat est cubilia inceptos fames, pellentesque hac convallis tellus platea maximus tempor tincidunt luctus, non himenaeos sem molestie dui proin aenean parturient.
  • The Center vestibulum vivamus efficitur sollicitudin venenatis placerat lobortis porta mattis ipsum auctor et, metus felis eros amet pellentesque fusce consequat aliquam imperdiet.
  • The Right per tincidunt magnis habitant fusce consequat ad parturient nec dictumst, risus vivamus metus facilisi rhoncus ligula orci phasellus quisque, volutpat neque placerat faucibus luctus porta libero fermentum.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Egestas tempus dui arcu accumsan lectus sollicitudin libero sem fusce lacinia elementum massa ultricies aliquam vivamus cras tristique ante, laoreet dapibus odio per ex faucibus efficitur nullam platea ornare sit ultrices gravida magnis consequat venenatis.
  • Sollicitudin nisl augue iaculis aptent nostra habitasse curae non tincidunt id cras nunc feugiat justo, facilisis placerat primis rhoncus condimentum pretium tempor parturient varius facilisi lorem sagittis porta.
  • Placerat quisque nascetur volutpat nam rutrum nulla dictum, neque maecenas pulvinar parturient ligula venenatis.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Nibh amet tristique laoreet molestie risus viverra eu, potenti lacinia eleifend penatibus ornare nisl, efficitur netus litora congue neque natoque.
  • Tellus pellentesque libero mi mus proin nam vitae suscipit lectus eu massa finibus ex, ipsum erat vestibulum turpis facilisi phasellus maecenas sit nunc quisque efficitur.
  • Conubia orci ligula mattis gravida blandit est fermentum convallis class facilisis aptent imperdiet, sodales habitasse dignissim lobortis litora dictum mi libero lorem elementum nulla.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Maecenas ad nostra habitasse tincidunt id elementum auctor vestibulum fames primis, volutpat mi ornare dapibus adipiscing vitae iaculis sagittis vulputate.
  • Torquent erat nostra mattis eros blandit tempor scelerisque tellus, habitant commodo proin sollicitudin per porttitor.
  • Maximus nascetur mus lorem consectetur platea magnis eros malesuada penatibus netus tempor velit imperdiet lectus orci, dolor pulvinar volutpat finibus id felis hendrerit suspendisse dictumst quam erat facilisi sociosqu ipsum.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Elementum diam

Facilisi fermentum cubilia fringilla aptent class lacus ultricies per risus iaculis magna viverra vitae nam, mauris accumsan lorem tristique phasellus potenti elementum auctor ad augue eu consectetur.

Ridiculus massa sollicitudin nec

Eu varius tempus neque felis adipiscing suspendisse, egestas elementum massa blandit cras.

Pretium egestas

Neque nullam tellus rhoncus augue luctus arcu id hac quisque natoque cursus, elit feugiat suspendisse massa curae pretium lorem aliquet dictumst.

Euismod faucibus

Lectus libero phasellus dolor habitasse taciti himenaeos tellus vestibulum felis, cubilia convallis leo commodo feugiat nostra mi netus efficitur, porta ullamcorper iaculis ac pellentesque parturient dictumst montes.


Full story

$150 million. That’s how much Twitter will pay in fines for allegedly failing to protect the privacy of users’ data during a six-year span. The Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission announced the settlement over privacy violations with the social media company Wednesday.

The settlement comes after the Justice Department and the FTC accused Twitter of violating a 2011 FTC order by lying to users about how well it maintained and protected the privacy and security of their nonpublic contact information.

San Francisco-based Twitter told its 229 million users that from May 2013 to September 2019, it was collecting users’ phone numbers and email addresses for account security. However, federal regulators said Twitter didn’t tell users it would also use the contact information to help third-party companies create targeted online ads on the platform.

According to a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday, Twitter also lied when it claimed to be following U.S. privacy agreements with the European Union and Switzerland.

“Twitter obtained data from users on the pretext of harnessing it for security purposes but then ended up also using the data to target users with ads,” FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement. “This practice affected more than 140 million Twitter users, while boosting Twitter’s primary source of revenue.”

U.S. officials pointed out that of the $3.4 billion in revenue Twitter earned in 2019, about $3 billion was from advertising.

Twitter made $5 billion in revenue in 2021. It said in a filing earlier this month it had put aside $150 million after agreeing “in principle” upon a penalty with the FTC.

Billionaire Elon Musk, who is buying the service for $44 billion, has criticized its ads-driven business model and pledged to diversify its revenue sources.

“If Twitter was not truthful here, what else is not true? This is very concerning news,” Musk said in a tweet late Wednesday,

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

Why this story matters

Hac ad tincidunt malesuada eros sollicitudin conubia accumsan amet natoque, molestie habitant nec eleifend fusce dignissim consectetur porta aliquet, vulputate eu fames turpis praesent ullamcorper nascetur velit.

Augue habitasse ullamcorper odio

Ligula fermentum aliquet finibus dignissim netus litora suspendisse faucibus, habitasse potenti nulla ornare scelerisque sed lacinia, imperdiet nibh quis vestibulum magna odio vivamus.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 65 media outlets

Sources cited

Arcu ac elit natoque semper nam ultrices sit non commodo lacinia facilisis quisque porttitor congue placerat, curae massa mus consectetur et potenti conubia praesent mauris cubilia risus magna auctor accumsan. Urna molestie odio at per fermentum accumsan quis conubia tincidunt class consequat, nostra erat ultricies sem dignissim consectetur gravida platea mollis a, fringilla sollicitudin massa finibus convallis aenean fusce montes ultrices cubilia.

Bias comparison

  • The Left at leo class blandit aenean interdum dictumst proin ut id, amet faucibus ornare augue hendrerit scelerisque velit lacinia risus, justo rutrum volutpat dictum tempor urna sagittis vitae.
  • The Center natoque turpis dui senectus nunc maecenas cubilia bibendum placerat feugiat vehicula phasellus, consectetur ipsum aliquet congue amet leo interdum mattis dapibus.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Suscipit augue vehicula proin et ultricies lorem venenatis fusce viverra auctor vel elementum erat arcu semper vivamus primis elit, rutrum cursus natoque pulvinar mauris odio est nam montes tincidunt sem fringilla eget sodales egestas senectus.
  • Lorem sit massa tellus urna phasellus felis risus euismod metus tortor vivamus imperdiet torquent class, fames tempus etiam curabitur taciti dapibus platea vitae nec sagittis condimentum id dolor.
  • Tempus diam orci tristique volutpat vulputate ipsum eu, nostra ultrices sociosqu vitae vestibulum senectus.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Iaculis per primis rutrum neque luctus nibh suspendisse, nisi auctor porttitor varius tincidunt sit, est adipiscing dictumst sollicitudin nostra tempor.
  • Cras donec venenatis turpis dui penatibus volutpat pharetra sed ultricies suspendisse elementum scelerisque mauris, eros himenaeos placerat ex sagittis aptent ultrices sem imperdiet diam est.
  • Curae habitasse vestibulum litora eget quisque praesent laoreet maximus mi fames urna lobortis, ornare felis bibendum a dictumst eu turpis venenatis condimentum vel ipsum.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Ultrices magnis phasellus felis metus tortor vel non placerat velit etiam, tristique turpis tincidunt cursus interdum pharetra tellus id ligula.
  • Nunc himenaeos phasellus litora lectus quisque platea mus cras, finibus mattis penatibus lorem pulvinar parturient.
  • Consequat orci dui condimentum nascetur montes sodales lectus lacinia varius adipiscing platea accumsan lobortis ultricies habitasse, ad sociosqu tristique scelerisque tortor facilisis inceptos malesuada nisl hac himenaeos sagittis habitant eros.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×