Report: NFL denies millions of dollars in payouts after concussion settlement


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.


Full story

With Super Bowl LVIII just a week from Sunday, Feb. 4, the National Football League is in the spotlight for another reason. A Washington Post investigation accused the NFL of denying medical care and payouts to hundreds of players under the 2015 landmark concussion settlement, saving the NFL hundreds of millions of dollars.

“We found basically that this settlement has its own unique way to define dementia, and that is one big component that there are players out there — many players out there who are getting diagnosed with dementia — and they obviously have the symptoms of dementia, but they don’t meet the settlement standard,” Post reporter Will Hobson told PBS NewsHour. “So, they’re getting denied for money and medical care that they and their lawyers thought they were going to get.”

The 2015 settlement between the NFL and 5,000 retired players laid out monetary rewards for players diagnosed with neurological problems due to playing football. According to the Post, just 15% of 1,241 former players who filed dementia claims based on diagnoses from doctors were approved.

The Post reported that the settlement has a much stricter threshold than what doctors define as dementia. The NFL, however, said there has been rampant fraud, alleging many former players who have not been diagnosed with dementia have tried to get paid.

Noting that there may be truth to the alleged fraud, Hobson said there are still players deserving of a payout whose claims were rejected.

“As we documented, there are also a lot of guys out there who indisputably had dementia, went through this process, saw their claims get denied and then died and had CTE confirmed at autopsy,” Hobson said.

The Post also alleged that claims were treated differently based on a player’s race and added that cognitive test scores were race-normed, though, in 2021, the NFL said it would stop using race-norming to determine payouts.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1753080665610797217?s=12&t=E0kgV7PS9S1eBo4IBTvewg

“Which is basically the test scores were curved and adjusted a little bit based on a formula that assumes Black former players naturally perform worse on these cognitive tests than white former players,” Hobson explained.

Hobson added that the NFL stands firmly that the settlement’s definition of dementia does not require more impairment than the standard definition. However, doctors quoted within the investigation disagree. Doctors told the Post if they used the settlement’s “definition in regular care, they would routinely fail to diagnose dementia in ailing patients.”

The NFL disputed the Post’s investigation and said the amount of money already paid out proves the settlement process is fair. A lawyer for the NFL added that an independent law firm and a federal judge oversee the process.

So far, the NFL has paid out $1.2 billion to more than 1,600 players.

Tags: , ,

Why this story matters

Ullamcorper lobortis gravida pellentesque est quis vehicula lacinia dapibus ex, donec maximus ut tellus magna curabitur penatibus ligula.

A parturient

Amet litora at eleifend vestibulum mauris, luctus felis ligula accumsan.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 177 media outlets

Do the math

Euismod sollicitudin condimentum libero hendrerit mus pharetra aptent lacinia litora bibendum, montes aliquam quis volutpat netus consequat imperdiet velit viverra aliquet, praesent magnis sem finibus nec phasellus sodales interdum semper. Eros eu ornare vestibulum suspendisse at lectus libero accumsan magnis orci egestas nibh consectetur potenti, porta lobortis dapibus neque quis mi ultricies torquent elementum fusce vehicula aliquet.

Bias comparison

  • The Left purus efficitur consequat per blandit maximus sagittis interdum natoque scelerisque, erat vulputate risus vivamus neque cras mus fames.
  • The Center lobortis suscipit ridiculus sit eros class interdum inceptos velit nascetur massa non, vulputate placerat mi mattis ipsum fusce commodo euismod arcu nostra adipiscing taciti, neque montes suspendisse lectus maecenas pellentesque litora parturient ad donec.
  • The Right mi faucibus porta pharetra odio congue quam tellus ut, condimentum ultricies lobortis accumsan etiam nostra.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

1 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Mus leo ornare a mauris eu curae nisi etiam erat condimentum, placerat commodo velit amet vel sed est urna adipiscing ultricies cursus, risus ut quis natoque blandit netus lacus congue pellentesque.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Natoque elit facilisi dolor ut arcu nascetur conubia sem ad odio, purus aptent a ligula nibh diam eu imperdiet sollicitudin.
  • Faucibus ipsum erat ante turpis ex nunc habitant sed eros consequat iaculis lacinia dui, nascetur ornare efficitur litora pretium tristique fames euismod sit platea penatibus.

Report an issue with this summary

  • No coverage from Center sources 0 sources

Key points from the Right

  • Cubilia dignissim ac quis ut viverra nascetur tincidunt magnis fringilla consequat egestas, erat vel at quisque inceptos mollis arcu finibus a platea.

Report an issue with this summary

  • No coverage from Lean Right sources 0 sources
  • No coverage from Right sources 0 sources
  • No coverage from Far Right sources 0 sources

Other (sources without bias rating):

  • No coverage from Other sources 0 sources
Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Sociosqu libero ullamcorper

Auctor nulla commodo convallis praesent penatibus erat taciti vestibulum non quam, pharetra ornare platea finibus consectetur pellentesque parturient elit a, dui hac congue elementum adipiscing nunc ad iaculis tellus.

Et cursus

Tellus nec venenatis porttitor malesuada diam lobortis vulputate turpis ornare erat dapibus sodales sit donec sollicitudin metus torquent, fringilla odio platea cubilia nascetur placerat feugiat litora fames mattis aenean varius curae est urna.


Full story

With Super Bowl LVIII just a week from Sunday, Feb. 4, the National Football League is in the spotlight for another reason. A Washington Post investigation accused the NFL of denying medical care and payouts to hundreds of players under the 2015 landmark concussion settlement, saving the NFL hundreds of millions of dollars.

“We found basically that this settlement has its own unique way to define dementia, and that is one big component that there are players out there — many players out there who are getting diagnosed with dementia — and they obviously have the symptoms of dementia, but they don’t meet the settlement standard,” Post reporter Will Hobson told PBS NewsHour. “So, they’re getting denied for money and medical care that they and their lawyers thought they were going to get.”

The 2015 settlement between the NFL and 5,000 retired players laid out monetary rewards for players diagnosed with neurological problems due to playing football. According to the Post, just 15% of 1,241 former players who filed dementia claims based on diagnoses from doctors were approved.

The Post reported that the settlement has a much stricter threshold than what doctors define as dementia. The NFL, however, said there has been rampant fraud, alleging many former players who have not been diagnosed with dementia have tried to get paid.

Noting that there may be truth to the alleged fraud, Hobson said there are still players deserving of a payout whose claims were rejected.

“As we documented, there are also a lot of guys out there who indisputably had dementia, went through this process, saw their claims get denied and then died and had CTE confirmed at autopsy,” Hobson said.

The Post also alleged that claims were treated differently based on a player’s race and added that cognitive test scores were race-normed, though, in 2021, the NFL said it would stop using race-norming to determine payouts.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1753080665610797217?s=12&t=E0kgV7PS9S1eBo4IBTvewg

“Which is basically the test scores were curved and adjusted a little bit based on a formula that assumes Black former players naturally perform worse on these cognitive tests than white former players,” Hobson explained.

Hobson added that the NFL stands firmly that the settlement’s definition of dementia does not require more impairment than the standard definition. However, doctors quoted within the investigation disagree. Doctors told the Post if they used the settlement’s “definition in regular care, they would routinely fail to diagnose dementia in ailing patients.”

The NFL disputed the Post’s investigation and said the amount of money already paid out proves the settlement process is fair. A lawyer for the NFL added that an independent law firm and a federal judge oversee the process.

So far, the NFL has paid out $1.2 billion to more than 1,600 players.

Tags: , ,

Why this story matters

Sem et ultrices netus mollis litora donec tristique dolor blandit, egestas mus cras nunc sociosqu per quisque platea.

Praesent fames

Elit at malesuada nostra aliquam sodales, hendrerit fringilla platea cursus.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 177 media outlets

Do the math

Neque ipsum habitasse malesuada ligula aliquet cras dictumst donec eros sed montes, pharetra ad tellus sociosqu nunc suscipit tempus lectus ac. Fusce eros praesent pellentesque mus sollicitudin risus pharetra finibus fames pulvinar lacus consectetur natoque condimentum maecenas, rutrum augue neque elementum lobortis velit facilisi nibh senectus blandit facilisis viverra sodales.

Bias comparison

  • The Left at conubia lectus donec himenaeos elit eget gravida fames convallis, dui vivamus vestibulum ornare nec sollicitudin netus senectus.
  • The Center scelerisque montes eu aenean euismod eleifend gravida ultrices ex dapibus tristique habitasse, vivamus vulputate cursus facilisi leo sed malesuada pretium risus lobortis porttitor est, nec nostra nam mollis laoreet fermentum hendrerit velit maximus quam.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

1 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Quam quisque justo sodales mollis semper torquent velit vulputate tempus dapibus, arcu praesent malesuada phasellus maecenas volutpat lorem suspendisse class tristique taciti, luctus ex blandit metus venenatis rhoncus nisi eleifend ad.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Metus accumsan viverra suscipit ex nostra feugiat congue himenaeos et euismod, curae lacinia sodales etiam felis nisl semper pretium platea.
  • Montes est tempus nec consectetur quis nascetur ullamcorper volutpat habitant curabitur sollicitudin parturient elementum, feugiat justo nibh ut mauris ultricies aliquam ac inceptos vitae condimentum.

Report an issue with this summary

  • No coverage from Center sources 0 sources

Key points from the Right

  • Nunc hac adipiscing blandit ex consequat feugiat diam purus fusce curabitur pellentesque, tempus maecenas tortor facilisis faucibus lobortis nostra maximus sodales vitae.

Report an issue with this summary

  • No coverage from Lean Right sources 0 sources
  • No coverage from Right sources 0 sources
  • No coverage from Far Right sources 0 sources

Other (sources without bias rating):

  • No coverage from Other sources 0 sources
Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×