Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle announced she is stepping down from her job in an email on Tuesday, July 23. Cheatle testified in front of Congress on Monday about the Secret Service’s response to the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump.
Cheatle’s testimony led to frustration from both sides of the aisle, where she was often unable or unwilling to answer House representatives’ questions.
“I’m unable to answer details of exactly how the individual accessed the roof at this time,” Cheatle said.
Before her testimony, many had already been calling for Cheatle to step down. Following her appearance in front of Congress, more lawmakers began to express that sentiment.
“If you have an assassination attempt on a president, a former president or a candidate, you need to resign,” Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., said.
“It is my firm belief, Director Cheatle, that you should resign,” Committee Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., said.
Cheatle was first appointed by President Joe Biden in 2022. Originally, Cheatle was adamant that she would not step down from her position as director following the assassination attempt.
“I think that I am the best person to lead the Secret Service at this time,” she told lawmakers.
Cheatle announced her resignation in an email to employees, according to The Associated Press.
“In light of recent events, it is with a heavy heart that I have made the difficult decision to step down as your director,” the email read. “The Secret Service’s solemn mission is to protect our nation’s leaders and financial infrastructure. On July 13, we fell short on that mission.”
It has been disclosed that officials at the Secret Service had denied requests from Trump’s campaign for increased protection in the two years leading up to the shooting. However, before the shooting, protection for Trump was increased due to an alleged assassination threat from an Iranian group.
During the shooting, Trump and two people were injured and one person was killed.