With jury selection underway on Thursday, Sept. 26, in voting machine company Smartmatic’s case against Newsmax over false claims of election fraud, the two parties announced that a settlement had been reached. However, the details of the settlement were kept private.
Newsmax released a statement saying that it’s “pleased to announce it has resolved the litigation,” while Smartmatic announced in a statement, “Lying to the American people has consequences. Smartmatic will not stop until the perpetrators are held accountable.”
The last-minute agreement avoids a trial destined to become a public spectacle. The voting tech company said that Newsmax knowingly aired false news of Smartmatic allegedly trying to swing the 2020 presidential election in President Joe Biden’s favor and spread lies about the company’s role in the election.
The Smartmatic-Newsmax case is one of multiple legal challenges stemming from conspiracy theories involving the 2020 presidential election.
Smartmatic provided voting services to just one California county in that election. However, the company got lumped in with Dominion Voting Systems in a series of false claims of voter fraud promoted by former President Donald Trump.
Newsmax argues that it was just covering allegations made by Trump and his allies, which cast doubt on the election results. The outlet said that the suit “threatens freedom of speech and freedom of the press.”
Smartmatic settled a similar defamation suit in April with One America News Network, which involved an undisclosed amount of money.
Meanwhile, a Smartmatic’s defamation case trial against Fox News and its parent company is set to get underway in New York in 2025.
A similar case brought against Fox News last year by Dominion Voting Systems resulted in the network agreeing to pay the tech company nearly $790 million in a lawsuit settlement. The deal was struck just minutes before opening statements were set to be made in the trial.