Texas’ Attorney General Ken Paxton and Republican lawmakers are challenging a new firearms ban at the State Fair of Texas. The fair announced a new rule banning guns at the fair, except for those carried by active or retired peace officers. The ban comes after a shooting at the fair last year left three people wounded.
Paxton has threatened legal action against the city of Dallas if the state fair does not rescind its firearms ban within 15 days. He argued that the ban violates a Texas government code protecting licensed gun carriers’ rights on government property.
Additionally, more than 70 Republican legislators signed a petition opposing the ban, arguing it compromises safety because gun-free zones are “magnets for crime” and less of a deterrent to potential wrongdoers.
According to a spokesperson for the State Fair of Texas, the firearms ban ensures a safe environment and family-friendly atmosphere.
Fair representatives said they will deploy 200 uniformed officers, conduct screenings, use a weapon detection system for security and implement a bag size policy.
Paxton said he sent a letter to the city of Dallas demanding that the ban be lifted before the start of the fair, which runs from Sept. 27 to Oct. 20.