One of the Taliban’s top officials is urging the head of the terror group, which now controls Afghanistan in the wake of the United States’ withdrawal, to scrap its education ban for Afghan women and girls. The country’s deputy minister of foreign affairs shared a video on his official account on X, saying there’s “no excuse” for the ban, which does not allow females in Afghanistan to pursue and education after 6th grade.
“We are committing an injustice against 20 million people out of a population of 40 million, depriving them of all their rights,” Sher Abbas Stanikzai said in the video. “This is not in Islamic law, but our personal choice or nature.”
The Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai, urged the leaders of the Islamic Emirate to open the doors of education for everyone.
— TOLOnews English (@TOLONewsEnglish) January 19, 2025
Speaking at a graduation ceremony of a madrasa in Khost province, he said, "The path we are currently following stems from… pic.twitter.com/doj1AoIvT6
Who is Sher Abbas Stanikzai?
Sher Abbas Stanikzai was once the head of the Taliban team in talks that led to the complete withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan.
This is not the first time Stanikzai has spoken out about educating females. In September 2022, a year after schools closed for girls and just months before the introduction of a university ban, he made similar remarks.
Other education bans
In September 2024, there were also reports women had been banned from medical training and courses, but the Taliban has not confirmed that. A ban like that could create further problems because, in Afghanistan, women and girls can only be treated by female doctors and health professionals.
No country recognizes the Taliban as the legitimate rulers of Afghanistan, but countries like Russia and China have been building ties with them.