Over the Thanksgiving holiday, multiple Cabinet picks for President-elect Donald Trump and several Democratic members of Congress were targeted with bomb threats and “swatting” incidents. Swatting involves falsely reporting emergencies to police in an attempt to get a SWAT team to respond to a location where no emergency exists.
Among those targeted was Rep. Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y., who has been nominated by Trump to serve as ambassador to the United Nations. Stefanik, who was driving home to New York from Washington on Thanksgiving, learned of a bomb threat at her residence.
Former Rep. Lee Zeldin, tapped by Trump to lead the Environmental Protection Agency, said in a social media post that a pipe bomb threat targeting him and his family was sent with a pro-Palestinian-themed message. Zeldin added that he and his family were not at home at the time and were safe.
A pipe bomb threat targeting me and my family at our home today was sent in with a pro-Palestinian themed message. My family and I were not home at the time and are safe. We are working with law enforcement to learn more as this situation develops. We are thankful for the swift…
— Lee Zeldin (@leezeldin) November 27, 2024
Pete Hegseth, a former Army National Guard officer and Fox News host selected by Trump for secretary of defense, posted on X Thanksgiving morning, saying a police officer arrived at his home, where his seven children were still sleeping. Hegseth said the officer notified him and his wife of a credible pipe bomb threat targeting their family.
This morning, a police officer arrived at our home—where our seven children were still sleeping. The officer notified my wife and I that they had received a credible pipe bomb threat targeting me and my family. We are all safe and the threat has been cleared. We want to thank law…
— Pete Hegseth (@PeteHegseth) November 27, 2024
The FBI launched an investigation into these threats, and a spokesperson said the agency is working with multiple law enforcement agencies across the country to track down those responsible.
While law enforcement investigates, a series of other incidents unfolded in Connecticut. Bomb threats were reported against several Democratic members of Congress on Thursday, Nov. 29. Reps. Joe Courtney, D-Conn., Jahana Hayes, D-Conn., Jim Himes, D-Conn., and John Larson, D-Conn., all reported bomb threats at their homes in Connecticut.
Himes said in a statement that police found no evidence of a bomb during their search of his home.
Hayes released a statement saying that police had been notified of a threat involving a pipe bomb in her mailbox, but no bomb was found.
“There is no place in our country for political violence,” she added.
Local and federal authorities continue to investigate these incidents. As of now, the FBI has not confirmed whether the threats targeting Trump’s Cabinet nominees are connected to those aimed at the Connecticut lawmakers.