The Justice Department is nearing a possible indictment of former President Donald Trump over his mishandling of classified documents, sources familiar with the matter have told the New York Times. The New York Times has also reported that prosecutors have sent a letter to Trump’s legal team, indicating that he is the target of their criminal investigation.
The focus of the investigation revolves around the more than 100 classified documents seized during a search at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida last year.
Federal law prohibits officials from removing or retaining documents at an unauthorized location. Trump has denied any wrongdoing.
Trump had repeatedly claimed he has the authority as president to declassify any documents.
CNN reported in late May that tape recordings reviewed by their sources captured Trump acknowledging that he retained a classified Pentagon document and was aware of his limited ability to declassify documents. The details of documents that may have been in Trump’s possession remain unclear.
Classified material usually contains information that officials feel could damage national security if made public, the BBC reported.
Currently, two federal grand juries are hearing evidence related to Trump’s case. One is in Washington, D.C., and the other is in Miami, Florida.
The Washington grand jury has reportedly heard testimony from numerous witnesses, including low-level workers at Mar-a-Lago and over 20 members of Trump’s Secret Service detail, as reported by The New York Times. Meanwhile, the Miami grand jury has also heard from multiple witnesses in recent weeks, including one of Trump’s former aides on Wednesday, May 31.
Trump’s lawyers met at the Justice Department on Monday, June 5 with officials including special counsel Jack Smith, part of an effort by the legal team to raise concerns about what they say is prosecutorial misconduct and to try to argue against a potential indictment.
Trump has taken to social media to criticize the case and the numerous other investigations he currently faces.
If charges are brought forward, Trump’s former attorney has said he believes the indictment would take place in Florida.
While some experts suggest that a decision on indictment could be reached in the coming weeks, no specific date has been set. Another indictment would mark Trump’s second indictment as he campaigns once again to be president.