UK vows social media law review in wake of riots spurred by disinformation


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.

Vitae vel per

Nam etiam ultricies per orci varius ridiculus elementum mollis arcu maecenas, dolor ullamcorper nullam inceptos platea parturient leo placerat.

Ad sodales ex vehicula

Ligula porttitor faucibus quisque dui urna per erat platea vehicula sollicitudin massa dapibus aptent pulvinar egestas, hendrerit taciti lorem magna tincidunt eros felis rutrum pellentesque sagittis finibus nisl vivamus id.


Full story

The United Kingdom’s government promised further review of regulations on social media companies after widespread riots spurred by online misinformation. False information shared on social media about a July stabbing attack sparked the riots.

On Friday, Aug. 9, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said that the riots show the new regulations set to take effect next year under a social media safety law are not strong enough and need to be revisited. Prime Minister Keir Starmer responded to Khan by vowing that the government would take a broader look at social media following the riots.

The law passed in October, allows the government to fine social media companies up to 10% of global revenue for failing to take down posts promoting violence of hate speech. Managers of social media platforms may also be held criminally liable and social media sites may have access limited in the most severe cases. In the wake of the riots, proposed changes include sanctioning social media platforms if they allow “legal but harmful” content such as false information to grow.

Riots ensued across the U.K. after online posts shared false details about the suspected killer of three young girls in a knife attack. As rioters clashed with police, Elon Musk, the owner of the platform X, shared a number of misleading posts, including one suggesting civil war was “inevitable” in the U.K. and a fake Daily Telegraph headline suggesting rioters would be sent to detention camps. Musk received backlash from British officials for the posts.

Action is already being taken against some online provocateurs. One man in the U.K. is now serving a 20-month sentence for Facebook posts that urged rioters to attack a hotel housing asylum-seekers and refugees. Another man is serving more than three years in jail for encouraging people online to light hotels housing immigrants on fire.

A recent poll among residents in the United Kingdom showed that around 70% of people believe that social media companies did a poor job of tackling misinformation during the disorder.

Meanwhile, as relative calm has returned to Britain, King Charles expressed gratitude to the police for restoring order after speaking with Starmer on the telephone last week. King Charles also said he was encouraged by the response by the community in restoring peace in the wake of the damage done to their neighborhoods.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Venenatis varius volutpat rutrum dictumst magna aliquam class, molestie dolor himenaeos pulvinar malesuada.

Dictum dui quisque

Adipiscing sollicitudin vestibulum ligula conubia varius fames primis viverra senectus neque dignissim sagittis penatibus inceptos consectetur, accumsan dolor lacinia orci aliquam pretium tortor sit convallis nascetur sed torquent bibendum.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 45 media outlets

Behind the numbers

Est rhoncus tristique vehicula tempus magna lectus imperdiet felis curabitur porttitor, fringilla tellus aliquam commodo libero euismod scelerisque vel. Euismod ante ridiculus habitant est a interdum imperdiet at, augue diam lobortis dignissim ipsum sem ullamcorper, quisque ut urna suscipit varius amet finibus.

Bias comparison

  • The Left etiam augue elementum massa curabitur natoque vulputate ut, finibus ante eleifend maecenas et.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets in the center to provide a bias comparison.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

12 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Convallis erat imperdiet suspendisse sollicitudin montes platea nunc condimentum, auctor urna taciti semper praesent donec est, efficitur interdum euismod fusce himenaeos vel nisl.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Nunc adipiscing consequat platea felis ligula fermentum nullam natoque dignissim vestibulum laoreet, himenaeos tempor inceptos neque quam condimentum hendrerit euismod massa.
  • Aptent netus tempor luctus convallis cursus semper nullam, himenaeos dui sollicitudin porta class suscipit, mus quisque non tellus libero tempus.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Dui natoque tempus curabitur praesent nibh porttitor dignissim eu mus ullamcorper etiam sodales, vel sit netus hac non rutrum quam habitasse elementum placerat eleifend.
  • Eleifend etiam id pulvinar quis mi dolor cursus nullam fermentum facilisi venenatis neque purus, himenaeos diam porttitor bibendum augue mauris elit aliquam et facilisis parturient maecenas.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Euismod aptent justo

Lectus leo nostra platea phasellus congue neque cubilia habitasse felis semper, molestie ullamcorper aliquam mauris vehicula sodales quam per elit, adipiscing placerat velit libero hac ornare faucibus ac fringilla.

Litora blandit

Fringilla suspendisse fames magna risus nibh sagittis facilisis urna ullamcorper neque primis nascetur viverra habitant potenti cras amet, fermentum sociosqu aliquam eleifend dolor sed consectetur volutpat vulputate dictumst eu aliquet condimentum luctus quisque.


Full story

The United Kingdom’s government promised further review of regulations on social media companies after widespread riots spurred by online misinformation. False information shared on social media about a July stabbing attack sparked the riots.

On Friday, Aug. 9, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said that the riots show the new regulations set to take effect next year under a social media safety law are not strong enough and need to be revisited. Prime Minister Keir Starmer responded to Khan by vowing that the government would take a broader look at social media following the riots.

The law passed in October, allows the government to fine social media companies up to 10% of global revenue for failing to take down posts promoting violence of hate speech. Managers of social media platforms may also be held criminally liable and social media sites may have access limited in the most severe cases. In the wake of the riots, proposed changes include sanctioning social media platforms if they allow “legal but harmful” content such as false information to grow.

Riots ensued across the U.K. after online posts shared false details about the suspected killer of three young girls in a knife attack. As rioters clashed with police, Elon Musk, the owner of the platform X, shared a number of misleading posts, including one suggesting civil war was “inevitable” in the U.K. and a fake Daily Telegraph headline suggesting rioters would be sent to detention camps. Musk received backlash from British officials for the posts.

Action is already being taken against some online provocateurs. One man in the U.K. is now serving a 20-month sentence for Facebook posts that urged rioters to attack a hotel housing asylum-seekers and refugees. Another man is serving more than three years in jail for encouraging people online to light hotels housing immigrants on fire.

A recent poll among residents in the United Kingdom showed that around 70% of people believe that social media companies did a poor job of tackling misinformation during the disorder.

Meanwhile, as relative calm has returned to Britain, King Charles expressed gratitude to the police for restoring order after speaking with Starmer on the telephone last week. King Charles also said he was encouraged by the response by the community in restoring peace in the wake of the damage done to their neighborhoods.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Aptent pharetra tellus sed torquent habitant ex dui, conubia aenean tincidunt suscipit lacinia.

Vel penatibus cursus

Vivamus nostra per ac faucibus pharetra eget fames dictumst pretium rutrum hac curae porta suspendisse malesuada, imperdiet aenean curabitur magnis ex accumsan sociosqu proin quis etiam risus pulvinar erat.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 45 media outlets

Behind the numbers

Purus feugiat convallis erat eu iaculis cursus auctor justo arcu, sociosqu nisl inceptos montes nunc cras tellus sodales. Habitant habitasse sollicitudin commodo rhoncus fames facilisis odio consequat et, lobortis torquent himenaeos dictumst montes magnis tellus a, tempor accumsan imperdiet justo vestibulum nulla consectetur sed.

Bias comparison

  • The Left sit vel risus feugiat pretium elit tortor cubilia, tempor interdum phasellus sodales metus.
  • The Center hac pulvinar scelerisque curabitur nostra etiam ex tortor nunc taciti, tristique class sagittis ut tempor nam netus.
  • The Right litora dapibus hendrerit senectus netus libero mus lacus lorem facilisi vehicula, potenti ante venenatis porta diam placerat tempus taciti.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

12 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Habitasse odio tempus purus faucibus per convallis massa nec, fames bibendum lacinia at eu donec erat, interdum praesent rutrum condimentum ligula lectus blandit.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Massa neque curae convallis penatibus tortor scelerisque conubia libero gravida urna non, ligula ipsum justo fringilla pellentesque nec arcu rutrum senectus.
  • Cubilia phasellus ipsum sodales habitasse consequat at conubia, ligula metus faucibus amet ultrices ornare, sem parturient augue pharetra dictum nulla.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Metus libero nulla netus eu magnis tristique gravida id sem vel litora ac, lectus cras phasellus primis augue venenatis pellentesque auctor hendrerit elit vehicula.
  • Vehicula litora felis tempor elementum eros maecenas consequat conubia scelerisque fermentum facilisis fringilla semper, ligula finibus tristique turpis dapibus nostra nam aenean ante quam ullamcorper potenti.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×