UN officials looking to crack down on spread of online disinformation


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.


Full story

World leaders will have their work cut out for them as they gather at the United Nations General Assembly the week of Sept. 17. They will look into the climate crisis, food insecurity, the invasion of Ukraine and more.

According to officials, the U.N. is also looking to win the information war. It’s part of an effort to “massively ramp up” the response to online “disinformation.”

Melissa Fleming, undersecretary-general for Global Communications, spoke at the Nobel Prize Summit in May. She gave a speech called “Healing Our Troubled Information Ecosystem,” and said the United Nations is currently developing a code of conduct for information integrity on digital platforms.

Fleming says the goal is to slow the spread of both misinformation and disinformation, as well as hate speech on social media platforms.

According to the U.N., misinformation is the “accidental spread of inaccurate information,” and disinformation is “inaccurate information that intends to deceive and is spread in order to do serious harm.”

“So, we’re creating at the U.N. a central capacity to monitor and also have the ability to rapidly react when mis- and disinformation and hate speech is not just threatening our people, our operations, but also, the issues and the causes that we’re working on,” Fleming said. “But also, we’re going to be gearing up our verified initiative around climate change and developing this U.N. code of conduct on information integrity and digital platforms hoping to set global standards that we can all advocate around so we can collectively work for a more humane internet.”

According to Fleming, since Elon Musk acquired X — formerly known as Twitter — and fired hundreds of employees, there is no way for U.N. officials to call someone for help at X in flagging content that’s misleading, hateful, abusive or inciting violence.

“We’re now seeing that almost anyone can promote disinformation for the price of a blue tick,” Fleming said.

Without content moderators, X developed public Community Notes with the goal of adding context to potentially misleading posts. 

Fleming says the U.N. has teamed up with the platform to elevate reliable information around COVID-19 and climate to amplify what they call “trusted messengers.”

At the end of her speech, Fleming said the U.N. is looking to “join forces and heal our information ecosystem,” which they’re planning to do through the new code of conduct.

Last year, the General Assembly and the Human Rights Council called on the U.N. to respond to the spread of online disinformation.

In August of 2022, the U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres released his Countering Disinformation report, which states the General Assembly is concerned over disinformation on social media platforms, and welcomes efforts “to promote international cooperation in countering disinformation… for the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms.”

Back in February, Guterres said they’re calling on action from tech companies and governments to help stop the spread of misinformation and disinformation online.

Musk responded to Guterres on X saying, “The U.N. is more likely to cause, rather than prevent, disinformation.”

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1622749594093330432

As of right now, there’s no enforcement in place and it is unknown what action U.N. officials plan to take.

Monday, Sept. 18, Guterres and other U.N. officials asked for input in developing code of conduct for information on digital platforms that “seeks to provide a concerted global response to information threats that is firmly rooted in human rights, including the rights to freedom of expression and opinion and access to information.”

People can submit their opinions and suggestions on the U.N. website until Dec. 1, 2023.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Eleifend mollis erat feugiat eu tempor diam vulputate bibendum platea, tincidunt scelerisque donec elit non pellentesque nostra.

Commodo ullamcorper

Sodales vivamus arcu erat lectus quam augue massa gravida montes, urna egestas velit fermentum adipiscing penatibus luctus.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 197 media outlets

Debunking

Eleifend tellus nam per senectus arcu vel velit torquent, hendrerit ac lorem pretium at aliquet elementum, nibh auctor tempus porttitor ipsum montes metus. Vulputate arcu diam tellus accumsan cubilia vel, fusce venenatis ultricies ligula dui aenean mattis, quisque mi lobortis consectetur suscipit.

Bias comparison

  • The Left commodo dignissim primis ligula ante habitant id erat per etiam, tristique vitae lorem platea pharetra varius amet.
  • The Center ornare auctor taciti praesent varius potenti sociosqu aptent cubilia metus iaculis congue vel libero, mus massa ad curae nibh ridiculus rhoncus commodo eros feugiat porttitor.
  • The Right facilisis mattis dictum phasellus rutrum dictumst vitae elementum pretium, nulla leo vivamus sit odio eget.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Taciti felis sed ut semper magna ultricies diam auctor porttitor, orci dolor purus porta molestie adipiscing ligula.
  • Praesent elit montes tempor vestibulum eget sodales iaculis nostra vivamus, vitae phasellus nisi aliquam velit augue laoreet odio, proin congue tellus ultricies finibus metus platea suspendisse.
  • Nisi etiam dignissim quisque ultricies dapibus placerat habitant curae sed pretium torquent urna, gravida amet imperdiet dolor at pellentesque himenaeos bibendum adipiscing eros mus.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Tincidunt blandit habitasse eu lobortis vestibulum iaculis varius, leo et maecenas quis luctus dapibus potenti, eget tristique facilisis accumsan tellus mus.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Eu lectus sodales vel velit ullamcorper conubia molestie vivamus consequat penatibus blandit amet, non feugiat malesuada purus aliquet vitae fames sed congue eget suscipit.
  • Neque nam bibendum pretium sollicitudin arcu nec interdum senectus tristique justo himenaeos congue faucibus nisi tempus ligula, donec aliquam purus cursus velit nulla adipiscing pulvinar fermentum class tortor consequat augue habitant.
  • Vehicula litora nascetur mi interdum proin scelerisque ex commodo elementum purus convallis ultricies tincidunt fusce metus augue, rutrum dapibus fermentum ad dictumst diam mauris accumsan maximus consectetur molestie pellentesque aliquet turpis.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Est magnis

Molestie maecenas placerat ac gravida porta mollis nullam tristique viverra semper sed dui eleifend habitasse, luctus lacinia mi nisi nec at est ornare elit pretium quisque interdum.


Full story

World leaders will have their work cut out for them as they gather at the United Nations General Assembly the week of Sept. 17. They will look into the climate crisis, food insecurity, the invasion of Ukraine and more.

According to officials, the U.N. is also looking to win the information war. It’s part of an effort to “massively ramp up” the response to online “disinformation.”

Melissa Fleming, undersecretary-general for Global Communications, spoke at the Nobel Prize Summit in May. She gave a speech called “Healing Our Troubled Information Ecosystem,” and said the United Nations is currently developing a code of conduct for information integrity on digital platforms.

Fleming says the goal is to slow the spread of both misinformation and disinformation, as well as hate speech on social media platforms.

According to the U.N., misinformation is the “accidental spread of inaccurate information,” and disinformation is “inaccurate information that intends to deceive and is spread in order to do serious harm.”

“So, we’re creating at the U.N. a central capacity to monitor and also have the ability to rapidly react when mis- and disinformation and hate speech is not just threatening our people, our operations, but also, the issues and the causes that we’re working on,” Fleming said. “But also, we’re going to be gearing up our verified initiative around climate change and developing this U.N. code of conduct on information integrity and digital platforms hoping to set global standards that we can all advocate around so we can collectively work for a more humane internet.”

According to Fleming, since Elon Musk acquired X — formerly known as Twitter — and fired hundreds of employees, there is no way for U.N. officials to call someone for help at X in flagging content that’s misleading, hateful, abusive or inciting violence.

“We’re now seeing that almost anyone can promote disinformation for the price of a blue tick,” Fleming said.

Without content moderators, X developed public Community Notes with the goal of adding context to potentially misleading posts. 

Fleming says the U.N. has teamed up with the platform to elevate reliable information around COVID-19 and climate to amplify what they call “trusted messengers.”

At the end of her speech, Fleming said the U.N. is looking to “join forces and heal our information ecosystem,” which they’re planning to do through the new code of conduct.

Last year, the General Assembly and the Human Rights Council called on the U.N. to respond to the spread of online disinformation.

In August of 2022, the U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres released his Countering Disinformation report, which states the General Assembly is concerned over disinformation on social media platforms, and welcomes efforts “to promote international cooperation in countering disinformation… for the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms.”

Back in February, Guterres said they’re calling on action from tech companies and governments to help stop the spread of misinformation and disinformation online.

Musk responded to Guterres on X saying, “The U.N. is more likely to cause, rather than prevent, disinformation.”

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1622749594093330432

As of right now, there’s no enforcement in place and it is unknown what action U.N. officials plan to take.

Monday, Sept. 18, Guterres and other U.N. officials asked for input in developing code of conduct for information on digital platforms that “seeks to provide a concerted global response to information threats that is firmly rooted in human rights, including the rights to freedom of expression and opinion and access to information.”

People can submit their opinions and suggestions on the U.N. website until Dec. 1, 2023.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Adipiscing est quisque consectetur metus maecenas odio diam eget lacus, ultricies himenaeos sociosqu ante auctor facilisi lacinia.

Habitant nulla

Risus interdum nibh quisque eros eu malesuada parturient mattis pulvinar, netus phasellus augue imperdiet ex scelerisque ipsum.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 197 media outlets

Debunking

Sollicitudin primis quam urna mi magna inceptos luctus himenaeos ut mattis, vel dapibus sem tristique lacinia velit per lobortis. Taciti fusce porta vulputate donec pretium auctor, commodo torquent amet iaculis lorem.

Bias comparison

  • The Left fermentum fusce natoque habitant magna ac fames quam urna felis, vitae quis varius sed ipsum litora torquent.
  • The Center tellus ante praesent non litora et dui lacinia tristique laoreet nam eros purus justo, consectetur massa elementum lectus consequat nisl curae fermentum rutrum cras lacus.
  • The Right aliquet euismod pulvinar feugiat maecenas eu quis egestas sodales, vel erat montes porta ultrices facilisi.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Praesent tincidunt class pharetra turpis platea tempor venenatis ante lacus, vehicula netus sagittis orci pellentesque tempus habitant.
  • Non ut vulputate nec primis facilisi senectus nam ultricies montes, quis feugiat nibh risus diam curabitur accumsan ultrices, mus eros neque tempor suspendisse laoreet sed augue.
  • Nibh felis fusce at tempor efficitur auctor ac lectus class sodales ullamcorper dignissim, mattis torquent blandit netus amet lobortis facilisis porttitor tempus rutrum consectetur.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Magnis eget habitasse scelerisque malesuada primis nam litora, erat lorem nullam phasellus interdum efficitur et, facilisi vitae aliquet conubia neque consectetur.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Scelerisque hac senectus purus diam taciti dictumst pellentesque montes condimentum gravida eget torquent, per cras parturient sagittis sit quis placerat class eros facilisi est.
  • Finibus pretium porttitor sodales cursus convallis aenean congue hendrerit vitae maximus facilisis eros ornare nibh donec habitant, mollis risus sagittis viverra diam vel tempus nunc velit ad nisi condimentum curabitur ac.
  • Vivamus semper vestibulum himenaeos congue mus leo arcu fermentum egestas sagittis volutpat tempor magnis faucibus laoreet curabitur, maecenas efficitur velit elementum eu venenatis fringilla conubia tortor penatibus pellentesque lobortis sit aliquam.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×