The United States and Saudi Arabia are discussing a security agreement without Israeli involvement, according to Axios. Before the Oct. 7 Hamas attack, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia were attempting to broker a deal that would’ve secured peace between Saudi Arabia and Israel.
The Hamas terror attack shattered talks for the agreement. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has said he wouldn’t recognize Israel without a Palestinian state.
This comes as the war between Israel and Hamas continues in Gaza, and as it continues for Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Saudi Arabia’s national security adviser visited the White House last week, Axios reported. He met U.S. National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan and Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
Their talks focused on strengthening relations between the two countries. They hoped to get security, technology and economic agreements signed before President Biden leaves office in January.
Those familiar told Axios the goal is to create a bilateral U.S.-Saudi security agreement. This would be similar to those recently signed by Biden with other Gulf countries.
Those agreements have reinforced U.S. presence in the region. The White House has attempted to counter the expanding influence of Russia and China in the Gulf region.