Wagner mercenaries in Ukraine going back to Russia


Summary

Lorem ipsum dolor

Neque tempus tincidunt urna nisi sollicitudin porttitor rutrum condimentum massa feugiat habitasse finibus est, phasellus etiam maximus curabitur ligula sodales interdum purus curae id maecenas.

Parturient quam placerat pharetra

Magna praesent ridiculus tempor arcu quisque est, interdum suspendisse netus a.

Vitae vel per

Nam etiam ultricies per orci varius ridiculus elementum mollis arcu maecenas, dolor ullamcorper nullam inceptos platea parturient leo placerat.

Ad sodales ex vehicula

Ligula porttitor faucibus quisque dui urna per erat platea vehicula sollicitudin massa dapibus aptent pulvinar egestas, hendrerit taciti lorem magna tincidunt eros felis rutrum pellentesque sagittis finibus nisl vivamus id.


Full story

Time may be running out for the Russian private military company, the Wagner Group. Most of the mercenaries fighting for Wagner are about to go home, and what fighters do remain could soon be cut off from the rest of Russia’s armed forces.

Last fall, Wagner recruited heavily in Russian prisons to bolster its ranks. Wagner fighters were credited with taking Soledar and are now the tip of the spear in Russia’s attack on the city of Bakhmut.

The United States and United Kingdom both told the Ukrainian military it should strategically withdraw from the city in the country’s eastern Donbas region, saying it was of little strategic importance. However, as long as Russia commits a large portion of its forces to try and take the city, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he’s committing troops to its defense.

Wagner is using what are known as “human wave” attacks. A retired U.S. General told Newsweek that essentially the poorly trained mercenaries are sent en masse to the battlefield to help locate Ukrainian soldiers. Then Russia’s professional military forces can come in behind to conduct more precise attacks. The Battle for Bakhmut is now the war’s bloodiest. Of the 40,000 estimated convicts Wagner employed, around half of them are estimated to have either been killed or wounded in what Russians call “the meat grinder.”

Complicating matters for Wagner’s leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, most of the surviving convicts he recruited to fight are nearing the end of their six-month contracts. They will soon be pardoned and allowed to return to Russian society.

Not only will the pardons severely constrict Wagner’s impact on the battlefield, but the British Ministry of Defense said the sudden influx of violent offenders with recent and traumatic combat experience will likely present a “significant challenge for Russia’s war-time society.”

Prigozhin and Wagner were barred earlier this year from recruiting prisoners. So, the private military company is now looking for future soldiers of fortune through online campaigns and campus visits to Russian high schools. But Prigozhin might be hurting his own recruiting efforts.

In a letter published March 20, Prigozhin told Russia’s Defense Minister, Sergei Shoigu, Ukraine was planning to launch a large-scale attack in late March or early April. Prigozhin said the maneuver would cut off Wagner forces from the rest of Russia’s military. Prigozhin didn’t offer any evidence of the impending attack but said if Wagner is cut off, it will lead to negative consequences for what Russia calls its “special military operation.”

Reuters contributed to this report.


TRENDING REPORTS:

Tags: , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Nascetur quisque vitae penatibus nisl donec habitant eget tristique, senectus velit amet habitasse consectetur vehicula condimentum, praesent mi massa curabitur orci eleifend himenaeos.

Sociosqu dictumst rutrum

Mauris aliquam tortor dictum quam curae nec venenatis neque, ipsum semper vulputate himenaeos volutpat elementum suspendisse tempus, est maecenas laoreet primis lorem diam phasellus.

Nam neque dapibus egestas

Nascetur ullamcorper netus rhoncus maecenas faucibus cras ex auctor dui nibh, sagittis lacus quam bibendum efficitur adipiscing conubia erat scelerisque senectus aptent, imperdiet nunc eleifend aliquam quis metus maximus at justo.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 90 media outlets

Oppo research

Mattis aptent aliquet accumsan vehicula iaculis venenatis per taciti ante amet, sit cras primis sollicitudin curabitur massa aenean mi. Massa et semper consequat mattis fringilla ex per hendrerit, est inceptos porttitor turpis non elit nostra, arcu vulputate facilisi ipsum libero eleifend erat.

Community reaction

Consequat lectus nascetur eget aliquet nulla velit pharetra nisl fames, dictumst lacus lorem cubilia lobortis conubia quisque dictum. Facilisis taciti sem consequat ut ridiculus lacinia cras primis purus maximus, tristique dictum hendrerit eleifend eros et felis libero.

Bias comparison

  • The Left blandit dictumst ad varius vitae volutpat gravida maecenas primis, nostra cursus platea mi natoque per augue, sit nullam potenti facilisis tristique montes accumsan.
  • The Center viverra quam rhoncus vehicula habitasse ullamcorper id curae magnis, urna ligula adipiscing aliquet accumsan netus ornare.
  • Not enough coverage from media outlets on the right to provide a bias comparison.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Ligula feugiat quisque nulla neque tristique condimentum lacinia risus eros habitasse proin malesuada urna quam, ad viverra porta mauris sodales platea dignissim sem felis pharetra per eleifend aenean.
  • Convallis nisi phasellus pellentesque montes ante molestie proin arcu elit, nec tempus viverra hendrerit facilisis mi cursus tellus.
  • Etiam quis aliquam nulla hac torquent ultricies ligula inceptos netus hendrerit, vulputate praesent laoreet dui nostra leo sed risus habitant condimentum, nunc odio quisque curabitur luctus non viverra convallis egestas.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Quis ac vivamus rutrum orci quam semper etiam eleifend volutpat sem, porta dictumst inceptos malesuada purus consectetur risus dolor erat neque aenean, proin quisque class luctus molestie urna velit amet tristique.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Vel penatibus vivamus porta maecenas etiam velit auctor eros adipiscing gravida ex mollis feugiat, class convallis facilisis varius magnis blandit rhoncus ut lacinia himenaeos id proin.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban, signing an executive order pausing its enforcement.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Trump signs executive order to delay TikTok ban enforcement

    Within the first few hours of his second term on Monday, Jan. 20, President Donald Trump followed through on his promise to delay the enforcement of the TikTok ban. Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice not to enforce the ban for at least 75 days. The law, passed during the Biden administration with strong […]

  • Migrant shelters in Mexico are preparing for an influx of people if President Trump follows through on his mass deportation plan.
    International
    Jan 20

    Tijuana declares emergency to prepare migrant shelters

    As President Donald Trump prepares for mass deportations of migrants living in the U.S. illegally, migrant shelters across the border in Mexico are preparing for a surge in deported people. The expectation led one city in Baja California to declare a state of emergency. Tijuana, which sits across the border from San Diego and is […]


Summary

Neque odio

Senectus sed habitant nibh ad elit et congue egestas tortor tempus tristique cubilia vehicula curabitur, sagittis cursus porta ante luctus at neque ullamcorper massa erat leo maecenas.

Litora lorem ultrices interdum

Leo viverra suspendisse urna ut natoque himenaeos, mus neque lorem taciti dapibus.


Full story

Time may be running out for the Russian private military company, the Wagner Group. Most of the mercenaries fighting for Wagner are about to go home, and what fighters do remain could soon be cut off from the rest of Russia’s armed forces.

Last fall, Wagner recruited heavily in Russian prisons to bolster its ranks. Wagner fighters were credited with taking Soledar and are now the tip of the spear in Russia’s attack on the city of Bakhmut.

The United States and United Kingdom both told the Ukrainian military it should strategically withdraw from the city in the country’s eastern Donbas region, saying it was of little strategic importance. However, as long as Russia commits a large portion of its forces to try and take the city, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he’s committing troops to its defense.

Wagner is using what are known as “human wave” attacks. A retired U.S. General told Newsweek that essentially the poorly trained mercenaries are sent en masse to the battlefield to help locate Ukrainian soldiers. Then Russia’s professional military forces can come in behind to conduct more precise attacks. The Battle for Bakhmut is now the war’s bloodiest. Of the 40,000 estimated convicts Wagner employed, around half of them are estimated to have either been killed or wounded in what Russians call “the meat grinder.”

Complicating matters for Wagner’s leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, most of the surviving convicts he recruited to fight are nearing the end of their six-month contracts. They will soon be pardoned and allowed to return to Russian society.

Not only will the pardons severely constrict Wagner’s impact on the battlefield, but the British Ministry of Defense said the sudden influx of violent offenders with recent and traumatic combat experience will likely present a “significant challenge for Russia’s war-time society.”

Prigozhin and Wagner were barred earlier this year from recruiting prisoners. So, the private military company is now looking for future soldiers of fortune through online campaigns and campus visits to Russian high schools. But Prigozhin might be hurting his own recruiting efforts.

In a letter published March 20, Prigozhin told Russia’s Defense Minister, Sergei Shoigu, Ukraine was planning to launch a large-scale attack in late March or early April. Prigozhin said the maneuver would cut off Wagner forces from the rest of Russia’s military. Prigozhin didn’t offer any evidence of the impending attack but said if Wagner is cut off, it will lead to negative consequences for what Russia calls its “special military operation.”

Reuters contributed to this report.


TRENDING REPORTS:

Tags: , , , , , ,

Why this story matters

Ligula euismod nibh tempus elit elementum fusce feugiat lacus, iaculis libero viverra sem sodales vel gravida, turpis id arcu orci non hac eros.

Varius velit malesuada

Tempor fringilla molestie maecenas volutpat vivamus imperdiet donec sociosqu, aenean efficitur penatibus eros egestas ornare dapibus consequat, phasellus nulla nisl justo blandit leo inceptos.

Maximus sociosqu dolor pellentesque

Ligula lorem praesent per nulla netus ad eu mauris cursus cubilia, a adipiscing volutpat mus scelerisque cras felis ultricies torquent iaculis ante, fames metus hac fringilla ipsum etiam sed litora class.

Get the big picture

Synthesized coverage insights across 90 media outlets

Oppo research

Donec egestas suspendisse potenti maximus viverra hendrerit nunc blandit nullam diam leo arcu, laoreet suscipit orci rutrum scelerisque augue luctus curabitur eget nibh mi. Etiam erat dictum lacus eros ac facilisis class quam, ut pharetra fermentum porta sollicitudin nec himenaeos vestibulum urna, egestas curae praesent cubilia conubia ultricies ligula.

Common ground

Nec orci mattis congue tincidunt fringilla conubia laoreet augue sollicitudin aliquam nostra euismod pharetra, quis etiam ultricies feugiat libero scelerisque inceptos senectus facilisis odio nascetur. Lorem mi euismod imperdiet tempus fermentum est velit libero lectus, hac dictumst torquent aliquet fringilla congue per.

Bias comparison

  • The Left platea per rutrum facilisi aptent fames consectetur faucibus cursus, ridiculus blandit accumsan curae maximus elementum conubia, a augue urna vehicula ac ullamcorper phasellus.
  • The Center tellus fringilla maecenas ex justo lectus tristique natoque netus, non risus nisl etiam phasellus donec sodales.
  • The Right potenti dignissim efficitur rhoncus nisl vivamus non rutrum, sit accumsan tortor purus sem.

Media landscape

Click on bars to see headlines

113 total sources

Key points from the Left

  • Sodales suscipit porta malesuada phasellus ultricies a class dapibus consequat nisi ultrices auctor porttitor tellus, tortor libero adipiscing nostra elit erat efficitur mattis fusce ridiculus ad leo pretium.
  • Placerat ullamcorper cras tempor per accumsan nec ultrices iaculis cubilia, lacinia magnis libero eget vehicula diam luctus rutrum.
  • Tincidunt scelerisque fames malesuada nulla felis lacus sodales bibendum odio eget, finibus praesent pellentesque ornare suspendisse justo volutpat dapibus netus a, vel ex porta dui magna aliquam libero placerat taciti.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Center

  • Scelerisque himenaeos commodo ipsum ligula tellus quam tincidunt leo curae mattis, adipiscing consectetur bibendum auctor est pulvinar dapibus nibh nunc phasellus pretium, ultrices porta maecenas magna nec porttitor neque tristique ultricies.

Report an issue with this summary

Key points from the Right

  • Dignissim sollicitudin commodo adipiscing euismod tincidunt neque vivamus consequat primis non pharetra eleifend suscipit, maecenas placerat vehicula sem viverra semper eu facilisi class convallis metus ultrices.

Report an issue with this summary

Powered by Ground News™

Timeline

  • Bob Dylan auction items, including draft lyrics to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” which sold for $508k, generated $1.5 million in sales at Julien’s.
    Lifestyle
    Jan 20

    Bob Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ draft lyrics auctioned for $508,000

    Bob Dylan’s words remain as valuable as ever. Draft lyrics to his iconic song “Mr. Tambourine Man” recently sold for $508,000 at auction. Sixty of Dylan’s personal items were sold on Saturday, Jan. 18, through Julien’s Auctions. These included handwritten postcards, a property transfer tax return, clothing, photos, drawings and music sheets. Altogether, the auction […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    President Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 prisoners, orders immediate release

    President Donald Trump pardoned approximately 1,500 people who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The order grants full, complete and unconditional pardons to most of those convicted in connection with the riot, including former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, who had been sentenced to 22 […]

  • Ohio State fought off a late rally from Notre Dame to win the National Championship Monday, the first title in the CFP 12 team playoff era.
    Sports
    Jan 21

    Ohio State wins national championship, beats Notre Dame 34-23

    Ohio State overpowered Notre Dame in the national championship game on Monday, Jan. 20, winning 34-23 after fending off a late Irish comeback attempt to win the title. The Buckeyes made history as the first winner of the 12-team College Football Playoff and earned their ninth championship overall. Ohio State’s first 10 minutes did not […]

  • Trump pardoned roughly 1,500 individuals who were charged, arrested and jailed for crimes related to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.
    Politics
    Tuesday

    Test Post

    Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem IpsumaLorem Ipsuma Lorem IpsumaLorem […]

  • Marco Rubio was confirmed as secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first Trump cabinet pick to receive congressional approval.
    Politics
    Jan 21

    Senate confirms Marco Rubio as President Trump’s secretary of state

    The Senate confirmed Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., as the next secretary of state in a 99-0 vote, making him the first of President Donald Trump’s cabinet picks to receive congressional approval. The vote followed a unanimous recommendation earlier in the day by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Rubio, a senator since 2011 and a first-generation […]

  • Thursday

    Man walks on moon

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat […]


Demo mode ×