For some parents, child care is more expensive than rent: Report
Kids are expensive. So expensive in fact, many families are pretty much paying a second rent to send their kids to day care.
New data from the Department of Labor shows during 2022, when inflation was the highest it had been in 40 years, families spent between $6,552 and $15,600 on full-day care, depending on where they live. Data from 2022 is the most recent available.
The Labor Department noted that the upper range is more than 2022’s median annual rent, which was $15,216. The agency said households typically spend between 9% and 16% of their annual income on day care per child.
The Labor Department estimated more than 13 million of the nation’s roughly 63 million parents rely on paid child care providers.
According to the report, costs also tend to be higher for families with infants. It’s also more expensive for those living in larger counties or using center-based rather than home-based care.
Jonathan Majors’ ex-girlfriend drops assault and defamation lawsuit
People Magazine is reporting that actor Jonathan Majors’ ex-girlfriend has dropped her lawsuit against him, according to court documents released Thursday, Nov. 21. Grace Jabbari, a British dancer, first filed the civil suit in March 2024, accusing Majors of assault and defamation.
The allegations stemmed from incidents during the couple’s nearly two-year relationship. Jabbari and Majors met in 2021 on the set of “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” where Majors was gaining recognition as a rising star.
Legal troubles and court trial
Majors faced a legal trial in New York after an altercation with Jabbari in March 2023. According to court records, the dispute allegedly began when Majors received a suggestive text message from another woman. The text read, “Wish I was kissing you right now.”
Jabbari claimed Majors attacked her in the back of an SUV and later found her unconscious in the apartment they previously shared. Police bodycam footage shows her partially unclothed with a blanket across her waist.
During the trial, evidence included text messages and audio recordings. One incident Jabbari recorded during an altercation revealed Majors suggesting she emulate figures like Michelle Obama and Coretta Scott King.
Despite maintaining his innocence, Majors was convicted in December 2023 on two misdemeanor assault counts. The court ordered him to complete a year-long counseling program in April 2024.
Court documents filed Thursday revealed both Majors and Jabbari agreed to dismiss all claims against him “with prejudice.” This means Jabbari cannot refile the lawsuit in the future, bringing a close to the legal battle between the two.
Meagan Good’s public support
Majors’ relationship with actress Meagan Good became a focal point of public discussion. The two started dating a few months after Majors’ March 2023 arrest. Good appeared by his side during nearly every court appearance, sparking widespread discussion about her support during the legal proceedings.
No singing allowed in AMC Theatres as ‘Wicked’ releases
The wait is over! Fans are heading to theaters for the release of “Wicked.” But AMC Theatres is asking moviegoers to keep their excitement in check. Singing along during the movie is against the rules.
AMC is announcing the no-singing policy in a 30-second advisory playing ahead of the film. It features scenes from “Wicked” and reminds audiences of theater etiquette. It reads, in part: “No talking. No texting. No singing. No wailing. No flirting. And absolutely no name-calling.”
In a statement to the Indianapolis Star, AMC says the policy aims to prevent disruptive behavior. The goal is to ensure everyone enjoys the movie in peace.
This reminder comes after moviegoers made headlines in the Fall of 2023 during the releases of both “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” and “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé.” Both concert films similarly brought fans to their feet.
Social media reacts
On social media, users are already preparing for what could happen. Some videos show funny reactions to people who might break the no-singing policy.
But for those eager to sing, there’s good news. Variety first reported Universal Pictures will host sing-along screenings of “Wicked” starting Christmas Day. These special showings will take place in 1,000 theaters across North America.
Straight Arrow News has reached out to AMC for further comment and is awaiting a response.
Jussie Smollett’s conviction overturned in hate crime hoax case
The Illinois Supreme Court has overturned Jussie Smollett’s conviction. The actor was found guilty of staging a hate crime in 2019.
In a 5-0 decision, the court ruled Smollett’s due process rights were violated. The case has been sent to a lower court for formal dismissal.
The 2019 incident
Smollett, a former “Empire” star, claimed he was attacked in downtown Chicago. He said two men assaulted him while yelling racist and homophobic slurs. Smollett also alleged they placed a noose around his neck.
Police launched a “full scale hate crimes investigation,” which made national headlines. However, prosecutors later alleged the attack was staged.
Prosecutors’ claims
Authorities said Smollett was upset over hate mail he received on set. They claimed he paid the two men – who happened to be brothers – $3,500 to fake the attack. The brothers testified that Smollett gave them lines to yell, including references to then-President Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan.
In 2019, Smollett was charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct. However, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s office dropped the charges. Smollett agreed to forfeit a $10,000 bond and complete community service.
Refiled charges and conviction
A special prosecutor was appointed in 2020 and reopened the case. Smollett was tried on six counts of disorderly conduct in 2021. He was convicted on five counts by a jury.
Smollett was sentenced to 150 days in jail, 30 months of probation and $130,000 in restitution. He served six days before being released pending his appeal.
Illinois Supreme Court ruling
The Illinois Supreme Court ruled the second prosecution violated Smollett’s rights. The court said the original nonprosecution agreement should have been honored.
Justice Elizabeth Rochford wrote, “What would be more unjust than the resolution of any one criminal case would be a holding from this court that the state was not bound to honor agreements upon which people have detrimentally relied.”
The court’s decision ends years of legal battles and public scrutiny. Smollett has maintained his innocence throughout the case.
Winning bidder pays $6.2 million for duct-taped banana artwork
A duct-taped banana sold for $6.2 million on Wednesday, Nov. 20, in New York City. The work of art by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan is called “Comedian.”
After more than six minutes of bidding at Sotheby’s auction house, the winner was declared. Justin Sun, the Chinese-born founder of the cryptocurrency platform TRON, who watched the auction from Hong Kong, was the work’s new owner.
“Comedian” comes with installation instructions — 14 pages — that double as the certificate of authenticity. It instructs the owner to replace the fruit when needed with a supply of his own and to position the banana so it curves to the right and always displays vertically.
The piece was estimated to fetch between $1 million and $1.5 million, but bidders went far beyond that to be the top banana. Cattelan has said he crafted his work as a satirical jab at market speculation.
“Comedian” first debuted at a Miami Beach art event in 2019, where the Perrotin Gallery sold three editions for between $120,000 and $150,000 each. However, the work proved “ripe for the taking” for one performance artist, David Datuna, who ripped the banana right off the wall and ate it.
The piece has even caused an uproar in the crypto world. Earlier this month Sotheby’s executive Michael Bouhanna created a memecoin, crypto inspired by online trends or memes, based on Cattelan’s banana called “BAN.” It was direct competition with another “Comedian”-inspired memecoin minted in August called “BTW,” short for “banana tape wall.”
Sun said he will pay for the work in crypto. But what did the tycoon find so “appealing” about the duct-taped banana?
In a statement, Sun said the work “represents a cultural phenomenon that bridges the worlds of art, memes, and the cryptocurrency community.”
As for what he’ll do with it, he plans to “personally eat the banana as part of this unique artistic experience, honoring its place in both art history and popular culture.”
2024 CMA Awards: Highlights, emotional tributes and history-making wins
Country music’s biggest night returned to Nashville Wednesday, Nov. 20, for the 58th CMA Awards, delivering show-stopping performances, heartfelt tributes and history-making wins. From Post Malone and Chris Stapleton’s electrifying opening performance to emotional honors for George Strait, the event showcased the best of country music while embracing its future.
Post Malone and Stapleton kicked off the night with a soulful duet of “California Sober,” setting the stage for an evening filled with unforgettable moments.
This year’s hosts, Luke Bryan, Peyton Manning and first-time host Lainey Wilson, kept the energy high with their humor and camaraderie. One standout moment was their tribute to the late Toby Keith, who passed away this year at 62 from stomach cancer. They toasted him with red Solo cups, a nod to his hit song “Red Solo Cup.”
Luke Bryan, from left, Lainey Wilson, and Peyton Manning raise their red cups and toast Toby Keith during the 58th Annual CMA Awards on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/George Walker IV)
Rising star Shaboozey made a splash with his debut CMA Awards performance, singing “Highway” and “A Bar Song (Tipsy).” His set earned a standing ovation and proved why he’s already nominated for five 2025 Grammy Awards.
Brooks & Dunn teamed up with Jelly Roll for an emotional performance of “Believe,” leaving both the live audience and viewers at home in tears. Social media buzzed with reactions, calling the moment one of the night’s most moving.
Morgan Wallen, the night’s top nominee with seven nods, took home Entertainer of the Year. Although Wallen was not present, his win marked another milestone in his successful career. Cody Johnson also had reason to celebrate, winning his first CMA Album of the Year award for “Leather.”
Stapleton dominated the awards with wins for Single of the Year, Song of the Year and Male Vocalist of the Year. Meanwhile, country music legend Strait was honored with the CMA Willie Nelson Lifetime Achievement Award. The “King of Country Music” received a heartfelt tribute from fellow artists, celebrating his career and influence on the genre.
George Strait accepts the lifetime achievement award during the 58th Annual CMA Awards on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. In background from left Lainey Wilson, Parker McCollum, Miranda Lambert and Jamey Johnson. (AP Photo/George Walker IV)
New artists also took center stage, with Megan Moroney winning New Artist of the Year. She beat out a strong group of nominees, including Shaboozey, Nate Smith and Bailey Zimmerman. Moroney’s win came shortly after her performance of “Am I Ok.”
On the red carpet, Olympian Simone Biles wowed in a shimmering silver gown, presenting Female Vocalist of the Year to Wilson later in the evening. Co-host Bryan opted for a classic pinstripe suit, while Shaboozey made a statement in mint green.
Simone Biles, left, presents the award for female vocalist of the year to Lainey Wilson during the 58th Annual CMA Awards on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/George Walker IV)
With its mix of first-time nominees, powerful performances and emotional tributes, the CMA Awards 2024 honored the best of country music while embracing its ever-evolving future.
Digital media may be fueling a global boredom crisis: Study
Despite constant access to entertainment, boredom is increasing worldwide, especially among young people. Researchers blame digital media for creating overstimulation, fragmented attention and shallow engagement that leaves people unfulfilled.
A new study published in Communications Psychology reveals that boredom levels among U.S. adolescents and Chinese college students have risen significantly in the past 15 years.
One survey of over 100,000 U.S. adolescents found a steady increase in self-reported boredom beginning in 2011, with girls being more affected than boys.
Similarly, Chinese college students scored 14% higher on the Boredom Proneness Scale between 2009 and 2020, indicating more frequent and intense boredom.
Getty Images
Experts say digital media plays a significant role in this trend. Social media provides constant stimulation, but it’s often predictable, fragmented, and shallow, leaving users feeling unsatisfied.
Dr. James Danckert, a cognitive neuroscientist, explained that boredom serves an important purpose, it pushes people to explore the world and seek meaningful experiences. However, scrolling through digital feeds does not meet these needs, making life feel less engaging.
The study’s authors conclude that learning to handle boredom in a meaningful way is more important than ever, especially as digital media continues to dominate daily life.
How family caregivers can navigate challenges and access support
November is National Family Caregivers Month, a time to recognize the efforts of family caregivers across the United States. While caregiving provides meaningful rewards, it also comes with significant challenges because of the physical, emotional and financial strain.
This role involves assisting aging, ill or disabled loved ones with tasks like managing medications, providing personal care and overseeing daily activities.
According to a 2020 report by the AARP, an estimated 53 million unpaid caregivers were in the U.S. That figure represents an increase of 9.5 million compared to 2015.
While many caregivers willingly take on this role, this same study found nearly a quarter of them report difficulties maintaining their own health. Some even said their health had worsened as a result of their caregiving responsibilities.
The financial contribution of caregivers is also substantial. AARP estimated in 2021 that unpaid family caregivers provided care valued at $600 billion.
Financial support for caregivers
For those looking to ease the financial burden, USA.gov outlines several options for family members to get paid as caregivers:
State Medicaid programs: Some states allow caregivers to receive compensation through Medicaid programs, though eligibility requirements vary. Contact your state’s Medicaid office for more information.
Long-term care insurance: Certain policies allow family members to be compensated for caregiving.
Veterans programs: Three programs are available for veterans and their caregivers.
Other resources: Paid family leave and assistance from Local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) are additional options to explore.
Supporting caregivers’ health
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers recommendations to help caregivers maintain their health and well-being:
Respite care: Taking periodic breaks from caregiving responsibilities can reduce stress and improve overall well-being.
Seek support: Family, friends, health care providers, nonprofit organizations or government agencies can provide help with tasks or emotional support.
Offer support to caregivers: If you know a caregiver, simple gestures like running errands or checking in regularly can make a big difference.
Caregiving plays an essential role in many families but it requires both emotional and financial support. Understanding the resources available can help caregivers manage their responsibilities and maintain their well-being.
Roblox announces new safety features for parents and kids
Parents are getting more control over how their children explore the world of Roblox, the immersive gaming platform that has over 68 million average daily users. Chief Safety Officer Matt Kaufman announced in a blog post Monday, Nov. 18, major updates to Roblox’s safety systems and parental controls are coming.
Kaufman said the changes were developed after multiple rounds of internal research, including interviews, studies and international surveys with parents and kids, and consultations with child safety experts and media literacy groups.
Roblox is now allowing parents to link their accounts to their child’s, giving parents the ability to manage their child’s experiences. Parents will also be able to view their child’s friends list and screen time.
Roblox is also making big changes when it comes to its youngest users — children under the age of 13 who account for 42% of the platform’s user base. Kids who fall under that age group will no longer be able to directly message others outside of games unless authorized by a parent.
Roblox is launching content labels to “give parents greater clarity to make informed decisions about what is appropriate for their child.” The labels range from “minimal,” meaning the experience may contain occasional mild violence, to “restricted,” when the experience could contain strong violence and moderate crude humor.
Children under 9 years old will only be able to access “minimal” or “mild” content by default. The changes come as Roblox faced sharp criticism last month over its safety features by Hindenburg Research.
As Straight Arrow News’ Simone Del Rosario reported, the prominent short seller called the platform “an X-rated pedophile hellscape, exposing children to grooming, pornography, violent content and extremely abusive speech.”
Roblox replied by saying in part it rejected the claims made in the Hindenburg report and that “safety and civility have been foundational to Roblox since the company’s inception nearly two decades ago.”
Kaufman concluded his blog post about the parental controls updates by saying:
“While there is no ‘perfect’ when it comes to online safety, our overall approach is systematic and thoughtful. We regularly update our policies and systems to help keep children safe on Roblox—regardless of whether parents elect to use our parental controls. Our goal is to make Roblox the safest and most civil online platform possible because it is the right thing for children, their parents and caregivers, our investors, and our company.”
Matt Kaufman, chief safety officer
Kaufman said many of the updates are launching Monday, while others will be implemented by early 2025.