A ransomware attack compromised sensitive U.S. Marshals data; the White House has ordered all government agencies to purge TikTok from federal devices; and an American citizen is killed in the West Bank as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict rages on. These stories and more highlight the daily rundown for Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023.
Sensitive U.S. Marshals data compromised
The U.S. Marshals Service is investigating a major ransomware attack that has compromised some of its most sensitive information. It includes law enforcement materials, personal information of employees, and potential targets of federal investigations.
The federal agency reported the data breach was discovered on Feb. 17. The Justice Department has labeled the cyberattack as a major incident, prompting the U.S. Marshals Service to involve Congress.
The agency is still investigating and working to mitigate potential risks that could come from the ransomware attack. The federal system that was hacked was not connected to any larger federal network.
TikTok ban on all federal devices
In an effort to keep U.S. data safe, the White House has ordered all government agencies to delete and ban TikTok from federal devices in 30 days. TikTok is owned by ByteDance, which is known to engage in data harvesting. U.S. officials have raised concerns that the Chinese government could pressure ByteDance into handing over information collected.
The ban, ordered by Congress late last year, follows similar actions from Canada, the EU, Taiwan and more than half of the states in the U.S. All federal agencies must remove TikTok from government-issued phones and block it from being accessed on the internet.
According to the White House, the ban is out of precaution following security concerns. ByteDance has denounced the concerns as misinformation and has denied spying on Americans.
Buttigieg’s use of jets to be audited
The Department of Transportation’s internal watchdog will be reviewing the use of government jets by its top official, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. Along with his predecessor in the Trump administration. And Buttigieg is welcoming the audit.
The inspector general plans to conduct an audit to determine whether the office of the Secretary has complied with federal regulations, policies, and procedures related to travel on the department’s aircraft.
The audit was requested by Sen. Marco Rubio, D-Fla., who asked the watchdog about a Fox News article that reported Buttigieg took 18 flights on taxpayer-funded private jets. The Transportation Department said those 18 flights were on federal planes over seven trips.
Buttigieg responded to the news of the audit saying it would help debunk misleading narratives.
U.S. citizen killed in West Bank unrest
A U.S. citizen is one of the latest victims of the violence in the West Bank between Israelis and Palestinians. Israeli Defense Forces said attackers opened fire on Israeli vehicles on three occasions Monday, and later set their own vehicles on fire.
There was an exchange of fire with police before the attackers fled according to the IDF. According to the Times of Israel, the 27-year-old Israeli-American was visiting to attend a wedding when he was killed.
The deadly attack followed a series of attacks and outbursts from Israeli and Palestinian residents on Sunday. A Palestinian reportedly shot and killed two settlers of Israel. In response, Israelis lit Palestinian homes and cars on fire in protest.
North Korea addresses need for grain
North Korea’s Kim Jong Un is asking the country to unify behind his leadership in order to increase the country’s grain production amid worries of food insecurity.
Foreign experts say North Korea is experiencing a serious shortfall of food in the aftermath of COVID-19 border restrictions and a reported push for greater state-control over grain supply.
The experts say they’ve seen no signs of mass deaths from famine in North Korea like they did in the ’90s when hundreds of thousands died in a food crisis.
According to South Korean assessments, North Korea is producing 4.5 million tons of grain per year when they would need 5.5 million tons per year to feed its 25 million people.
Musk reclaims richest person title
After being dethroned for the past two months, Elon musk is taking back his crown as richest person in the world, according to Bloomberg.
The Tesla CEO was surpassed in December of last year by Bernard Arnault, the CEO of french luxury brand LVMH. But as of Monday, with the help of Tesla’s stock surging this year, Musk’s net worth rose to $187 billion, surpassing Arnault’s $185 billion.