Also, Dave Matthews and John Mayer will join the FireAid lineup and perform together for the first time.
Live Nation said additional artists will be added to the FireAid lineup in the coming days. Organizers said the event will raise money for “rebuilding communities devastated by wildfires and supporting efforts to prevent future fire disasters in Southern California.”
FireAid will be held in two venues: the Intuit Dome and the Forum in Inglewood, California. Tickets for the concert go on sale Wednesday, Jan. 22.
FireAid will also be livestreamed across various platforms including Apple TV, Max, Netflix, Paramount+, SiriusXM, Spotify and YouTube. It will also air in select AMC theaters.
WGA calls on Hollywood studios to combat AI plagiarism
The Writers Guild of America (WGA) is urging Hollywood studios to take immediate action against the growing issue of AI plagiarism. It’s a call to action that echoes the union’s concerns during the lengthy 2023 writer’s strike.
WGA calls out major studios
The WGA East and West recently sent a letter to CEOs of major studios. They include Netflix, Walt Disney Co., NBCUniversal, Paramount Global, Sony Pictures, Amazon MGM Studios and Warner Bros. Discovery.
In the letter obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, the WGA claims that tech companies like Apple and Meta have “looted” the studios’ intellectual property while studios have failed to act against the violations.
“After this industry has spent decades fighting piracy, it cannot stand idly by while tech companies steal full libraries of content for their own financial gain,” the letter states.
AI models trained on copyrighted material
The letter cites a November article in The Atlantic, which reported that thousands of movies and TV episodes were being used to train AI models.
The WGA accuses studios of allowing “tech companies to plunder entire libraries without permission or compensation,” ultimately harming WGA members.
AI’s growing role in Hollywood
Despite the controversy, AI continues to gain traction in Hollywood. In September, Lionsgate—the studio behind franchises like “John Wick” and “Hunger Games”—announced a partnership with the AI video startup Runway. The technology is marketed as a tool to help filmmakers and creative teams generate cinematic visuals.
Legal victories for creatives
However, artists have recently seen progress in their legal battles against AI. In August, a federal court allowed a copyright infringement claim against AI art generators to move forward.
The case, brought by concept artist Karla Ortiz, centers on how AI firms may have used copyrighted materials to train models like Stable Diffusion. The lawsuit could significantly impact the future use of AI in Hollywood.
Suspect charged with murder in killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO
The man accused of gunning down the CEO of UnitedHealthcare on a New York City sidewalk is charged with murder. And the Biden administration levels allegations of war crimes against two Syrians who were high-raking members of the now ousted regime. These stories and more highlight your Unbiased Updates for Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024.
Suspect charged with murder in killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO
After nearly a week of searching, the manhunt for the suspected gunman who shot and killed UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson outside a New York City hotel last week is over. Police said they located the 26-year-old suspect inside a McDonald’s in Altoona, Pennsylvania, about 300 miles from New York on Monday, Dec. 9.
The New York City Police Department filed first-degree murder charges against Luigi Mangione, according to court documents released Monday night. Mangione also faces charges of possession of a loaded firearm, possession of a forged driver’s license, and criminal possession of a weapon.
Mangione is described as a former high school valedictorian and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, who grew up in Maryland but has also had past addresses in California and Hawaii.
Mangione was taken into custody in Altoona after authorities said a McDonald’s employee recognized him as the person of interest seen in images related to Thompson’s shooting death.
When police arrived on the scene, they questioned Mangione. According to court documents, Mangione “started to shake” when asked if he’d recently been in New York City. Authorities said at first, he lied about his identity.
So proud of @NYPDMTN Detectives, and our Major Case and Homicide Squads, who worked around-the-clock on the homicide investigation in Midtown. I joined them last night to thank them for their dedication. No doubt, their work was instrumental to identifying the person of interest… pic.twitter.com/jAFA7JDcHd
Court documents show he was carrying a black 3-D printed pistol with a silencer. The NYPD said the “ghost gun” found on him was consistent with the one used in the murder. Ghost guns do not have serial numbers.
Police said Mangione also had on him a fake ID, matching the one used by the suspect at a New York City hostel before the shooting, and a three-page written note.
“That document is currently in the possession of the Altoona Police Department as part of their investigation but just from briefly speaking with them, we don’t think that there’s any specific threats to other people mentioned in that document, but it does seem that he has some ill will toward corporate America,” NYPD Chief of Detectives Joe Kenney said.
Multiple reports Tuesday morning, Dec. 10, claimed those writings included the phrases “these parasites had it coming” and it “had to be done.”
During a press conference Monday evening, Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro (D) spoke of how the killing has led to some people online sharing their frustrations and anger over the healthcare system but emphasized that Mangione is not a martyr.
“In some dark corners, this killer’s being hailed as a hero,” Shapiro said. “Hear me on this: he is no hero. The real hero in this story is the person who called 911 at McDonald’s this [Monday] morning. The real heroes every day in our society are the women and men who put on uniforms like these and go out in our communities to keep us safe. This killer is not a hero. He should not be hailed.”
Mangione will remain in custody in Pennsylvania pending his extradition to New York, which is expected to take place later this week.
Jury finds former US Marine not guilty in NYC chokehold death trial
Tensions remain high in New York after a jury acquitted U.S. Marine veteran Daniel Penny of all charges on Monday, including criminally negligent homicide, in the chokehold death of a schizophrenic man, whose behavior had some people on the New York subway testifying they feared for their lives.
The caught-on-camera deadly incident from May 2023 saw Penny put Jordan Neely in a chokehold from behind after Neely walked up and down the F train saying “somebody is going to die today”.
Prosecutors said the chokehold lasted too long, was reckless, and resulted in the 30-year-old homeless man’s death. The defense brought an expert in to show Neely was under the influence of the synthetic marijuana drug K2, arguing he died from drug use and a previous medical condition.
Outside the Manhattan courthouse Tuesday, fights broke out as protesters and counter-protesters clashed. After the verdict Neely’s father stated, “There is no justice.”
US charges 2 former Syrian officials with war crimes
The United States has charged two former high-ranking Syrian intelligence officials with war crimes. The DOJ said during Bashar al-Assad’s regime, Jamil Hassan and Abdul Salam Mahmoud oversaw operations of a detention facility where Americans and civilians who had been deemed enemies of the state were tortured.
In other developments in the Middle East, the U.S. has also sent a special envoy to Beirut, Lebanon to find out what happened to Austin Tice. Tice is an American journalist who vanished in Syria 12 years ago.
"We have heard from sources that have been vetted by the U.S. government that Austin is alive." Austin Tice has been missing in Syria for 12 years. Today his brother & sister tell me "every day is a day that Austin should be released and a day that Austin could be released." pic.twitter.com/o08OgOFKEm
On Sunday, Dec. 8, President Joe Biden said he believes Tice is still alive and his administration is committed to bringing him home. Syria has publicly denied holding Tice.
Meanwhile, Israel has launched a large-scale attack on Syria, striking what it called strategic military sites after the fall of the al-Assad government. It also expanded its presence into the Golan Heights, a buffer zone along the country’s border with Syria.
Israel claimed the move is temporary and aimed at ensuring nearby areas are not exposed to any potential security threats, but Iran has appealed to the United Nations Security Council, saying the expansion is a “flagrant violation” of U.N. charter, breaking a 50-year cease-fire agreement.
Hegseth looks to shore up Senate support on Capitol Hill
President-elect Donald Trump’s pick for defense secretary is back on Capitol Hill this week. He’s looking to shore up support from Senate Republicans.
Pete Hegseth met with Senators Joni Ernst and Lindsey Graham on Monday. Both had expressed concerns over allegations against Hegseth of sexual misconduct, financial mismanagement of veterans’ charities and excessive drinking.
Hegseth denies a lot of it and says he is changed man. He served in the Army in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Lord & Taylor to relaunch as online discount luxury retailer
Another department store chain is set to make an internet comeback. Lord & Taylor is set to relaunch in 2025 as a discount luxury e-commerce platform offering designer goods and Lord & Taylor-branded products, according to its new owner.
Regal Brands Global acquired the Lord & Taylor intellectual property in September after its previous owner, Saadia Group — which had re-launched the chain as an e-commerce website in 2021 — ceased operations.
Regal Brands reportedly aims to position Lord & Taylor products to compete with other high-end retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Nordstrom.
‘Emilia Perez’ receives most Golden Globe nominations
CBS News president faces controversy and criticism in first year at the helm
Wendy McMahon, president of CBS News, is facing significant challenges in her first year, grappling with multiple crises in the newsroom. Recent key issues include backlash over the editing of a “60 Minutes” interview with Vice President Kamala Harris and controversies surrounding anchor Tony Dokoupil’s questioning of journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates about Israel.
McMahon’s leadership has been overshadowed by interventions from her higher-ups. Shari Redstone, a media executive at Paramount Global, CBS’s parent company, has taken an active role in editorial discussions, emphasizing the need for balanced coverage of Middle East issues.
In response to internal and external concerns, CBS News is considering an editorial review aimed at improving fairness in reporting. This effort includes investigating employee reports of antisemitism, anti-Muslim views, racism and sexism in the newsroom.
McMahon’s leadership comes at a pivotal time as Paramount merges with Skydance Media. She is scheduled to meet with Jeff Shell, the incoming president of Paramount Global. An outsider to network news with a background in local television, McMahon became CBS News president in August 2023.
She is implementing changes within the news division, including a leadership reshuffle and an emphasis on long-form journalism. Former CNN anchor Don Lemon has weighed in on the ethics concerns surrounding CBS, criticizing how the network handled the Ta-Nehisi Coates book interview.
“I believe in messy conversations, even if it veers off, as long as people are respectful,” Lemon said on the “Don Lemon Show.” “Why are the inmates running the asylum? Why are you responding? Of course you should respond to people, ‘We hear you, we want you to express your opinion, we are standing by our journalist.’ Even if you have issues with him, you address those issues with him, not in public.”
Following the public dustup, Redstone called Dokoupil to praise him for a job well done and had dinner with him earlier this week, according to The Wall Street Journal. However, CBS has not publicly addressed the “60 Minutes” Harris interview controversy, despite polling showing overwhelming support for the network to release the transcript.
Paramount chair defends reprimanded CBS anchor over controversial interview
A CBS morning news anchor recently faced criticism following an interview with author Ta-Nehisi Coates. The discussion centered on Coates’ new book, “The Message,” particularly a section addressing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
During the interview, Coates was questioned about his portrayal of the conflict.
“The content of that section would not be out of place in the backpack of an extremist,” anchor Tony Dokoupil said. “Why not detail anything of the first and second intifadas, the bombings, little kids blown to bits? Is it because you just don’t believe that Israel, in any condition, has a right to exist?”
In response, Coates said, “There is no shortage of that perspective in American media.”
The interview lasted approximately seven minutes and featured challenging questions. CBS executives later stated that the interview prompted an internal investigation following viewer complaints, resulting in a reprimand for the anchor in a newsroom call. The executives indicated that the interview fell short of the network’s “editorial standards.”
However, Shari Redstone, chair of CBS parent company Paramount Global, has defended Dokoupil. She described the network’s open criticism of the longtime news anchor as a “bad mistake” and commended him for facilitating “civil discourse” on a sensitive and longstanding issue.
“If you were to read this book you would be left wondering why does any of Israel exist, what a horrific place. So I think the question is central and key, if Israel has a right to defend itself, and the answer is no, then why do the Palestinians have a right to exist? Why do 20 Muslim countries have a right to exist?” Dekoupil asked Coates.
“No country in this world establishes its ability to exist through rights; countries establish their ability to exist through force,” Coates responded.
Redstone expressed her appreciation of having Coates on the program but stressed the importance of challenging his views.
“We have to also provide the opportunity to challenge him on what he says, just like we challenge everybody else,” she said. “We need to have better education about how to challenge people in the civil way, which, frankly, I think Tony did.”
Plot twist: Billionaire media exec submits $4.3B bid for Paramount, reports say
Like any good TV show or movie, the saga of the sale of Paramount has a last-second plot twist. According to reports, billionaire media mogul Edgar Bronfman Jr., the former head of Warner Music Group, has submitted a bid of $4.3 billion to take control of Paramount Global — the parent company of CBS, MTV, and Paramount Pictures.
Last month, Skydance Media entered a deal to purchase the conglomerate for $8 billion, but that deal came with a catch: a 45-day window where Paramount could field other offers. Bronfman entered the fray just as that deadline was about to expire on Wednesday, Aug. 21.
Paramount now has the option to extend that period. If it does, that would be a sign Paramount is seriously thinking about Bronfman’s offer.
Bronfman’s bid was submitted to a committee that was established to look over potential offers. It is expected to review this latest one on Wednesday.
Bronfman was the CEO of Warner Music Group from 2004-2012. He currently serves as the executive chairman of FuboTV, the sports streaming provider that just declared in a victory in court. z
A federal judge sided with FuboTV in its antitrust case against Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery over the launch of their sports service Venu. The three media giants said they plan to appeal the decision.