New Orleans is getting ready to host the Super Bowl next month, which includes a costly plan to relocate the homeless living in camps in the city’s core. Early Wednesday morning, Jan. 15, Louisiana authorities cleared out the encampments near the Caesars Superdome.
The city will host the big game at the Superdome on Sunday, Feb. 9.
Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry framed the move as a safety measure. He said it’s part of a bigger push to secure New Orleans after the ISIS-inspired New Year’s Day truck attack. The attack left 14 people dead and dozens more injured in the city’s French Quarter.
The city used the emergency order issued in the attack to clear out of the camps. The decree called for securing highways and bridges in New Orleans. It also ensured streets and sidewalks are clean and accessible.
State officials relocated many unhoused people displaced by the move to a temporary warehouse facility far from downtown that costs millions of dollars to operate. Officials described the setup as a resource hub offering room for pets. It also offers shuttles to ferry people to work and appointments.
The temporary center can house 200 people, and as of Wednesday evening, 131 people were staying there, according to the Workforce Group.
New Orleans Home for Good Initiative
This is just the latest move in an effort that started months ago when Louisiana state officials forcibly removed an encampment in October ahead of a Taylor Swift concert at the Superdome. Advocates for the homeless said some people displaced by that move ended up in the area under the elevated stretch of highway cleared on Wednesday.
Just last week, the state’s Supreme Court overturned a restraining order that barred state police from clearing homeless encampments in New Orleans.
Some city leaders and advocates said the new push undermines their efforts to address homelessness, interrupting ongoing efforts to help people secure permanent housing.
New Orleans has an initiative of its own, aiming to house 1,500 people by the end of the year. The city has already connected more than 800 people with housing as part of that effort, according to The New York Times.