Remains of missing Vietnam War pilot identified after 50 years
A Vietnam War pilot who had been missing for over 50 years has finally been identified. U.S. Marine Corps Captain Ronald W. Forrester was piloting an A-6A Intruder on a nighttime mission over northern Vietnam when his plane lost radio contact.
He was just 25 years old when his aircraft disappeared during the combat mission in 1972. Search-and-rescue efforts came up empty, and in 1978, the Marine Corps officially changed his status from missing in action to killed in action.
After decades of investigation, a breakthrough came when remains and evidence believed to be linked to both Forrester and his copilot were found. The discoveries were tied to a crash site in central Vietnam.
In order to identify the remains, scientists used mitochondrial DNA testing, along with evidence found at the crash site. Captain Forrester’s name is listed on the National Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial in Washington, and at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu.
Soon, a rosette be placed next to his name, to show he has finally been accounted for. He’ll be laid to rest on Oct. 7, at Arlington Cemetery.
Dozens of protesters arrested at Israeli consulate in Chicago during DNC
Chicago police arrested dozens of pro-Palestinian protesters on Tuesday, Aug. 20, after violent clashes with police officers outside the Israeli Consulate during the second night of the Democratic National Convention (DNC). The mass arrests are the largest since the DNC got underway on Monday.
Chicago Police Department Superintendent Larry Snelling called the protests “a danger to our city.”
Protesters, reportedly dressed in black, charged police blocking the march and eventually got past the line of officers in riot gear. Officers reportedly “penned” in some protesters, which prevented the crowd from dispersing.
“We had a group that showed up with intent on committing acts of violence and vandalism,” Snelling said. “As a Chicago Police Department, we did everything we could to deescalate the situation but there’s only so much de-escalation that you can attempt before it become excessive repetition.”
Organizers rallied activists under the slogan “Make it great like ’68,” which is a reference to the 1968 Democratic Convention marred by violence during protests against the Vietnam War.
“Make it great like ’68,” Snelling said. “That was what they brought to Chicago. It’s 2024, and the Chicago Police Department proved that. So, let’s get off of the 1968. Let’s stop talking about 1968. It’s 2024.”
Two officers were hurt but not seriously and continued responding to the protests. Snelling also said that three journalists were among the people arrested outside the consulate. However, he did not provide further details about the arrests.
Snelling denied criticism that the police response was too much. He also called the response “proportionate” to the threat.
The demonstrators at Tuesday’s rally were not part of the 200-plus groups that have organized permitted demonstrations.
The largest pro-Palestinian protest occurred on Monday, during the first day of the DNC. Around 3,500 demonstrators showed up to the rally, and while it was largely peaceful, 13 people were arrested for trying to breach a security barrier at the convention.
Biden highlights his legacy, passes torch to Harris in DNC address
In a speech lasting nearly an hour on the first night of the Democratic National Convention (DNC), President Joe Biden defended his record as he passed the torch to Vice President Kamala Harris. And protesters took to the streets outside the DNC calling for an end to the war in Gaza. These stories and more highlight The Morning Rundown for Aug. 20, 2024.
Biden highlights his legacy, passes torch to Harris in DNC address
Former President Barack Obama is slated to be among the speakers on night two of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago on Tuesday, Aug. 20, as the party gears up for Vice President Kamala Harris to officially accept the nomination for president.
Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, were in the building Monday night, Aug. 19 for the first night. The vice president gave a surprise speech on the stage thanking President Joe Biden for his “historic leadership.” She then spoke of unity within the party.
“People from every corner of our country and every walk of life are here, united by our shared vision for the future of our country, and this November, we will come together and declare with one voice, as one people, we are moving forward,” Harris said.
And while the convention is largely focused on Harris, the first night was centered on President Biden as the party paid tribute to his decades-long political career. The crowd chanted in support of the president, giving him a 4-minute standing ovation before his speech. Biden took a moment to thank his supporters before reiterating his endorsement of Harris.
“I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my career, but I gave my best to you,” the president said. “For 50 years, like many of you, I have given my heart and soul to our nation … It’s been the honor of my lifetime to serve as your president.”
First lady Dr. Jill Biden and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also spoke on the first night of the DNC.
“I wish my mother and Kamala’s mother could see us,” Clinton said. “This is our time, America. This is when we stand up. This is when we break through!”
Harris and Walz will both be back on the campaign trail in Wisconsin Tuesday, Aug. 20. That’s also where the Republican vice presidential pick Ohio Sen. JD Vance will be as former President Donald Trump continues his blitz across battleground states. Trump was in Pennsylvania Monday, Aug. 19, and will hold a rally in Michigan Tuesday afternoon.
Protesters attempt to breach barricade at DNC
While the Democratic Party rallied in unison inside Chicago’s United Center, it was a different story on the outside. Protesters broke through a fence set up by police near the site of the DNC as thousands took to the streets to protest the war in Gaza.
As the larger group marched, a few dozen broke away and tore down pieces of the security fence. They chanted “end the occupation now” and then “the whole world is watching!” just as anti-Vietnam war protesters did during the 1968 convention in Chicago when police clashed with protesters on live television.
On Monday, Aug. 19, police in riot gear formed a wall and arrested at least four people. Large protests are expected to continue over the next several days outside the DNC.
U.S. government says Iran was behind Trump campaign hack
A joint statement on Monday from the FBI, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency said the breach was part of Iran’s plans to interfere with the 2024 presidential election.
The FBI briefed former President Trump on their preliminary findings after news organizations reported receiving documents believed to have come from an account belonging to a senior Trump campaign official. Those turned out to be from a hacker.
Vice President Harris’ campaign said hackers were unsuccessful in their attempts against the Biden-Harris campaign.
Israel says bodies of 6 hostages retrieved in overnight operation
Israel said it has recovered the bodies of six hostages taken by Hamas during the Oct. 7 terror attack. The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and Israel’s security agency said in a joint statement Tuesday the bodies were retrieved during an overnight military operation in Gaza.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “hearts are aching over the terrible loss” and thanked those involved in the recovery efforts.
This comes as Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced Israel has accepted a proposal to bridge differences that are preventing a temporary cease-fire and the release of an unknown number of hostages. Now the U.S. and other world leaders helping to mediate the negotiation talks are urging Hamas to accept the proposal.
On Tuesday, Aug. 20, Blinken will be leaving Israel and traveling to Egypt and Qatar, where Hamas has a political office.
It’s unclear if Hamas will sign off on the deal, as one of their stipulations has been a permanent truce, not just a temporary pause in fighting.
The high-stakes talks come as fears rise that the war could escalate into a bigger regional conflict, potentially by an attack on Israel led by Iran and its proxy groups.
Santos pleads guilty to federal charges, faces 6 years in prison
Former New York Congressman George Santos has pleaded guilty to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. He’s agreed to pay more than $370,000 in restitution and could spend at least six years in prison for stealing from donors and using campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses.
The plea comes as his federal fraud case — which led to the Republican’s expulsion from Congress — was just weeks away from going to trial.
He’s now set to be sentenced in February.
Former head of Warner Music submits $4.3B bid for Paramount
Like any good TV show or movie, the saga of the sale of Paramount has a last-second plot twist. According to reports, billionaire media mogul Edgar Bronfman Jr., the former head of Warner Music Group, has submitted an offer of $4.3 billion to take control of Paramount Global — the parent company of CBS, MTV and Paramount Pictures.
Last month, Skydance Media entered a deal to purchase the conglomerate for $8 billion, but that deal came with a catch: a 45-day window where Paramount could field other offers. Bronfman entered the fray just as that deadline was about to expire on Wednesday, Aug. 21.
Now Paramount has the option to extend that period. If it does, that would be a sign Paramount is seriously thinking about Bronfman’s offer.
Jimmy Carter, 98, opts for hospice care in final days
Former President Jimmy Carter, the longest-lived president in American history, is receiving end-of-life care at his home in Georgia. The Carter Center announced on Saturday that at 98 years old, he has chosen to spend his final moments in hospice with family rather than seek additional medical intervention, following several hospital visits.
The statement said the 39th president has the full support of his medical team and family, which “asks for privacy at this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.”
Carter was a little-known governor from Georgia when he launched his bid for the presidency ahead of the 1976 election. Billing himself as an outsider, he defeated then-President Gerald Ford in the wake of the Vietnam War and the Watergate scandal that drove Richard Nixon from office in 1974.
As the 39th president, Carter negotiated the historic Camp David Accords, which brokered peace between Israel and Egypt, an agreement that remains foundational in Middle East relations today.
However, Carter’s presidency was also marked by double-digit inflation and the notorious 444-day hostage crisis in Iran, during which 52 Americans were held hostage. These events partly eroded his public support, and he later lost his reelection bid to Ronald Reagan in 1980.
Despite this setback, Carter continued to make a significant impact on the world. He spent his post-presidency years working on causes such as building houses for the poor, election monitoring abroad, and combating Guinea worm disease through public health campaigns that focused on improving access to safe drinking water in Africa.
His work as a former president and through the Carter Center eventually earned him the Nobel Peace Prize, helping to recreate his image in the eyes of many Americans.