The Georgia special grand jury investigating the 2020 election will release their report, and a viral internet challenge turns deadly. These stories and more highlight The Morning Rundown for Friday, Sept. 8, 2023.
Georgia special grand jury report to be released
The special grand jury report in Georgia that ultimately led to an indictment of former President Donald Trump is expected to be released Friday. The grand jury spent seven months, heard from 75 witnesses and closed their investigation in December.
Their job was to compile any recommendations regarding potential charges and give those to Georgia prosecutors. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis used report to indict former President Trump and 18 others on charges related to the 2020 presidential election in the state.
North Korea unveils nuclear-armed submarine
North Korea announced Friday it has launched its first “tactical nuclear attack submarine.” Leader Kim Jong Un said the submarine will be one of the main “underwater offensive means” of the North Korean Navy.
The submarine has been assigned to the fleet that patrols the waters between the Korean peninsula and Japan. It has 10 launch tube hatches, most likely armed with ballistic and cruise missiles.
A former U.S. government weapons expert told Reuters the submarine won’t add much value to North Korea’s more robust, land-based nuclear forces. He said it is based on an aging submarine model that is relatively noisy, slow and has limited range.
South Korea’s military said the submarine did not appear to be read for normal operations, adding that there were signs the North was attempting to exaggerate it capabilities.
17 arrested in Cuba human trafficking ring
Cuban authorities have arrested 17 people in connection to an alleged human trafficking ring. The goal of the ring was to lure young Cuban men to fight for Russia in its war with Ukraine.
According to authorities, the group’s “internal organizer” was one of the 17 arrested. The leader relied on two people living in Cuba to handle the recruiting. Charges the group members are facing include:
- Human trafficking
- Fighting as a mercenary
- Hostile action against a foreign state.
Potential sentences from these charges range from up to 30 years in prison to the death penalty.
Despite its close ties to Russia, Cuba has maintained that it has no part in the war in Ukraine. Cuba said it rejects the use of its citizens as mercenaries.
CIA releases Russian spy recruitment video
The CIA has renewed its push to recruit Russians to become spies against their own government. The agency posted a video in Russian on social media on Thursday, Sept. 7.
In the video, the CIA made an appeal to tell the truth about a system the agency has said is riddled with lying sycophants. In July of 2023, CIA Director William Burns said dissatisfaction from some Russians over the war had created a rare opportunity to recruit spies.
‘One Chip Challenge’ pulled from shelves after teen’s death
Paqui has pulled its “One Chip Challenge” spicy tortilla chip from store shelves. Last week, 14-year-old Harris Wolobah of Massachusetts died after taking the challenge.
Wolobah ate the chip at school, went to the nurse complaining of a stomach ache and passed out at home before being pronounced dead at the hospital. A report is pending on the official cause of death.
In a statement, the company said the chip is intended for adults only, adding that it’s “not for children or anyone sensitive to spicy foods or who has food allergies, is pregnant or other underlying health conditions.”
One year since the death of Queen Elizabeth II
The royal family honored the late Queen Elizabeth II and her 70-year reign on the first anniversary of her death Friday. King Charles III released a statement saying he is remembering his mother’s “long life, devoted to service.”
Charles and Queen Consort Camilla will mark the first anniversary of Queen Elizabeth’s death privately at Balmoral Castle. She was 96 years old.